No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 12.Apr.18 21:42:14

Tabbycat

Shop Direct to Close

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/shop-dir … s-12343348

I find this so sad. My OH worked there until he retired. I worked on packing on the evening shift when the children were small. Each and every one of my children have worked there at some time or other.
This place has been an enormous part of my life and it's so sad to see it closing.

There will be barely be a family locally that isn't affected by it.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 12.Apr.18 22:24:25

crackerbarrel

Re: Shop Direct to Close

It is Tabby - it's a big blow to the area. I worked there when the kids were small for a short time & most of my friends have done various stints there - it was always handy for extra money for Christmas or holidays. It will leave a big void.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#3 12.Apr.18 22:56:02

Erin

It is so sad for all the people who work there and I am sure Shaw businesses will feel the difference.

#4 13.Apr.18 10:35:12

Barleycorn

Grim.

And a slap in the face for those who work there/have worked there - the firm is using the fruits of their labour to build a new facility that makes that self same labour redundant.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#5 13.Apr.18 12:36:09

Woody

Erin wrote:

It is so sad for all the people who work there and I am sure Shaw businesses will feel the difference.

The people on Beal Lane will breath a sigh of relief they were never happy who ever sanctioned a large expanding distribution depot with vehicle movements over a rail line needed a reality check,

Or was it an OMBC attempt at bringing jobs in,
Apart form a few locals most that work there are a lot Foreign Nationals that do not live local and travel in on the tram,

Or did Shop Direct put it in there to see if it would work and then when it did now wants to move it to a more centralised modern site in the midlands or have the business rate rises made them move to an enterprise zone were rates are less,?

But its lost jobs and less for the local economy,

I would if I could but I can't,

#6 13.Apr.18 13:33:55

Tabbycat

The sortation centre has always been an eyesore from the word go. The story I was told is that plans were originally submitted for a single storey building which, technically it is.
The work is done by machinery inside the building which reaches up to the highest points.
So maybe residents saw "Single storey building" and thought it would be quite low  and non intrusive?

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#7 13.Apr.18 16:48:27

ridge walker

This news will be a shock as 2,000 jobs will be lost in Shaw and Chadderton,  Manchester responded it had access to the M62 and MIA so why move to the Midlands, the above comments are more relevent,  some 20 years ago when expansion at Shaw was beginning  they knew what was being proposed, a local group produced a report on the number of vehicle movements to and from the site and warned of its impact, they also knew many of the workers lived outside the borough, a plan was drawn up to use the railway route to take the wagons off the winding roads from junction 21 at Milnrow for the M62 and the north/south M6 & M1 with the manchester circular of the M60, but nothing was done, it was all ignored.

It was baffling when non of our roads were updated either and they became even less suitable, turned into single lanes to allow residents parking, schools were built along the routes increasing the safety risk on Broadway and Shaw Road where convoys of HGV traffic travel through major intersections to reach the warehousing, the effect on Crompton Way for Linney Lane and  Beal Lane was accute so where was our Highways department in all this, silenced by the demand for jobs by both  Oldham and Rochdale and now look at what Rochdale has built during those years at Stakehill and on Kingsway, no comparrison is there.

The Raven, another old mill conversion, Greengate, the Chadderton Bussiness Park and now Chadderton Way all feeding from the motorways, its crushing the life out of residential areas and increasing the through traffic from Hull to Liverpool, and any accident or winter snow its funnelled through Oldham,  what do we do in responce, build more traffic lights and bike lanes to restrict the flow and lower the speed on safety grounds.   This is not planning for growth its meddling to contain it, we want the prosperity but dont have the vision to prepare for it in advance and being private companies they can move distribution points and decimate a community without warning, in this case by 2020.

#8 13.Apr.18 19:35:14

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

This news will be a shock as 2,000 jobs will be lost in Shaw and Chadderton,  Manchester responded it had access to the M62 and MIA so why move to the Midlands, the above comments are more relevent,  some 20 years ago when expansion at Shaw was beginning  they knew what was being proposed, a local group produced a report on the number of vehicle movements to and from the site and warned of its impact, they also knew many of the workers lived outside the borough, a plan was drawn up to use the railway route to take the wagons off the winding roads from junction 21 at Milnrow for the M62 and the north/south M6 & M1 with the manchester circular of the M60, but nothing was done, it was all ignored.

It was baffling when non of our roads were updated either and they became even less suitable, turned into single lanes to allow residents parking, schools were built along the routes increasing the safety risk on Broadway and Shaw Road where convoys of HGV traffic travel through major intersections to reach the warehousing, the effect on Crompton Way for Linney Lane and  Beal Lane was accute so where was our Highways department in all this, silenced by the demand for jobs by both  Oldham and Rochdale and now look at what Rochdale has built during those years at Stakehill and on Kingsway, no comparrison is there.

The Raven, another old mill conversion, Greengate, the Chadderton Bussiness Park and now Chadderton Way all feeding from the motorways, its crushing the life out of residential areas and increasing the through traffic from Hull to Liverpool, and any accident or winter snow its funnelled through Oldham,  what do we do in responce, build more traffic lights and bike lanes to restrict the flow and lower the speed on safety grounds.   This is not planning for growth its meddling to contain it, we want the prosperity but dont have the vision to prepare for it in advance and being private companies they can move distribution points and decimate a community without warning, in this case by 2020.

Not forgetting the incentives offered by local Councils and Government relocation grants to move to their area bringing jobs with them,

I would if I could but I can't,

#9 13.Apr.18 20:34:18

ridge walker

Something must have drawn them here first, we can guess the the mills offered cheap floor space, and space for that giant warehouse, plenty of unskilled labour..... willing to work shifts and it must be hard work, what could the council offer  or did in the way rates were charged as an incentive on start up, there must have been something, we never hear about any meeting or negotiations taking place to postpone or delay any of these closures but you dont close a profitable business,  they said it offered a better one day delivery time being in the east midlands so thats a good reason, that needs explaining, how bad was it here apart from its grim up north and they found a better site that was more attractive to work from, and nothing to do with the workforce, someone in an office may have looked where its customers came from and how much they spent and said ureka we can save money by locating down south and save on the fuel cost, simply a financial decision or one off where the boss lived and did not like the commute every day.

#10 14.Apr.18 19:39:26

Mags

There was a lot of contrversy last Christmas about the HGVs blocking Beal Lane and the centre of Shaw. Maybe they are relocating to somewhere hassle free.

Board footer