No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#251 25.Mar.18 08:18:35

ridge walker

Re: Round and about.

It may be a spring, its clear water, if we dont ask we wont be told so ask then pass it on, there may be a good reason why its taking so long so lets hear it.

#252 25.Mar.18 10:58:09

Tony

ridge walker wrote:

It may be a spring, its clear water, if we dont ask we wont be told so ask then pass it on, there may be a good reason why its taking so long so lets hear it.

Every single time I have driven past there has been no one working on it too ask!!

Last edited by Tony (25.Mar.18 10:58:35)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#253 25.Mar.18 15:13:59

ridge walker

You and me both, are we to assume United Utillies only have one team working across the entire borough, are they short on manpower, technical resource or some other reason, cant blame the men- its always been difficult to get Utillities back for problems like this, the council did threaten to step in do the necessary work and charge them for it, we even had a scheme to invite companies to bring work forward if roads were due for resurfacing so its not dug up the day after as happens.  I do have sympathy for the workers who get all the flac thrown at them when its down to their managers, what use is a call centre operator who asks where Royton is. 

If residents and visitors could get all this information from our town hall staff, the latest news from the council  and those responsible how better would that be than having to do this personally on the phone, i bet thousands are doing that right now wasting their time on a nice Sunday afternoon trying to get through  when the office is shut and for weeks when they should be at work as its always engaged or your put in a queue, and lose the will to live waiting, not very good is it compaired to Japan or Ground Zero.

#254 26.Mar.18 14:20:06

ridge walker

The situation today at 9am  and the explanation from United Utillities is; the traffic lights are not in use because the batteries are flat, a new set will arrive this morning.

Once they set them up they will excavate a new hole 5 feet aways from the old one, they had marked its position in spray paint but it was washed away by the escaping water, its been remarked but that too has been washed away so its being done to verble instructions, the pothole will be left but water is running from it down the centre of the road towards the junction, as the road is in a filthy state they have ordered there own sweeper to clean up the present slutch and after the new excavation and repair is completed.   The instruments that can detect leaks are used by another set of workers which is crazy when the work is a priority case, however there are leaks all over the place surrounded by barriers but no workmen attending.

The tree issue woody raised has also been identified, the electric cables hang approx 35 feet above ground and pass over the open green space then over Oozewood Road, a tarmac footpath runs diagonally across the front edge with a line of 10 new trees planted along one side and 2 more set back on the other, there are several older Manchester poplar trees that are 50 ft high but away from the cables but there dying, 2 others have been felled close to the cables and there roots grubbed out.

The first 5 trees near to Oozewood are all Malus or crab apple and there small about 25ft at maturity, they may be red or yellow fruit, tree No 3 is under the cables next to a lamp post, each tree is double staked with 2 robust rubber ties, the other 5 in the line towards Kingston are different they are the flowering veriety of cherry but the compact type with tiny red or pink flowers not the gaudy japenese version, these are small suitable for gardens, the other two are taller and have a verticle habit and well clear of any cables.

Now the green fenced MUGA or multi use games area has significant fire damage, while on the green the remains of a bonfire remains uncleared, then over towards the field edge the area is covered with white filling from 2 settees that have been fly tipped,   its a very sorry state of affairs when new trees have been planted, the sites open to many resident front windows and the 4 shops so who's guarding this facility and amenity, the cost to maintain it and provide it must be high, you cant fail to think this area could provide dozens of new houses its not respected so why maintain it, let the community defend it and its value, and yes i suggest they take more action to prevent it, it must be an asset to the area if kept in order and clean, and for children to have an area to play.

#255 27.Mar.18 09:14:05

ridge walker

And another thing, planting a tree next to a lamp post or alongside a walkway.... like 2-3 feet is not good as they grow wider as well as taller, they will take away the light, get in your face  and generally become a nuesence, walkers will then go on the grass to get past and turn it too mud, then they will get butchered/pruned back and cuttings left for months  before collection or put on a bonfire creating smoke and sparks will spread to the Thornham Mill and the fire brigade will be called out risking their lives and for what, to make things nice and shady.

#256 29.Mar.18 11:36:17

JamesC

ridge walker wrote:

you cant fail to think this area could provide dozens of new houses its not respected so why maintain it, let the community defend it and its value, and yes i suggest they take more action to prevent it, it must be an asset to the area if kept in order and clean, and for children to have an area to play.

How do you propose to do this exactly?

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions.

#257 29.Mar.18 14:43:51

ridge walker

Its for the residents to decide , they all share that space and i hope enjoy the facility or at least its amenity value and outlook from property, lets say its openess and your environment as theirs clearly a measure of landscaping and maintenance being spent there,  i would appreciate it if i lived in that area, an adult presence would help, if thats not possible and its left to the police or the council by reporting incidents they witness but never leave the house its left open to misuse.

Whatever the reason there are signs of vandleism that i have refered too, you may find it acceptable if your answer is you know about it and nothing is being done by others to prevent it, why should you, nows the time to take some positive action, are you satisfied everything is being done or its lacking,  you may have complained and got nowhere so gave up, or you received threats or verble abuse, you cant do nothing and expect it to be done for you to spare you the trouble or you pay your council tax for this service, the majority never had such a space to worry about.   Long answer to a short question,  theres nothing to be gained by watching it being taken apart and ruined by thoughtless young people,  put them streight talk to them and try to mend their ways, simple parenting goes a long way, engage with your neighbours and find a solution that works for you  but helps others, not everyone has this capacity.

#258 29.Mar.18 14:53:25

JamesC

Have you ever heard of Garry Newlove? He remonstrated with some kids causing vandalism outside his house and paid for it with his life.

Should kids vandalise stuff? no - but this isn't a new thing.
Should their parents take more responsibility for their behaviour? to a point, but some kids are angels in the house and demons on the street. It's too easy to blame the parents.

There's no deterrent really, but blaming residents for perceived apathy is wrong.

I live in the area and don't want to see it wrecked, but I'm not stupid enough to go and argue with 10 or 12 teenagers about it. Next thing you know there's a firework through your letterbox at 2am.

#259 29.Mar.18 20:40:01

ridge walker

I understood your question James C on your earlier post, i tried to answer it for you, it is a common problem across the borough, no ward is free from it, nobody would ask residents to argue or contront a group of teenagers alone, the police or the neighborhood support officers, would have a fit if they did- leave it for them.  The Newlove incident was a national story so remonstrating with gangs is not even contemplated, you dont know what there on or how to handle it, our officers do and help is available and never refused, it would help them if several people seek this help and know what their options are and what they can do in these situations, the advise is universal to all residents, but first they must be contacted, they have the experience, its freindly and nothing to be afraid off and confidential, you may not be aware it exists thats why i asked was the responce sufficient if reported  even to OMBC or your local councillor, nothing will happen by casual patroling it has to be targeted and hot spots identified, the easy way as we have no police station is visit All Saints church on Radcliffe Street every thursday as officers  are on duty between 10-12 noon or leave a message in the town hall for the staff to pass on.  Good luck.

#260 01.Apr.18 09:52:41

Philpot
Banned

James Larkin wrote:

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best, deceitful at worst and I would politely ask you to withdraw that remark, if not post 204 in its entirety.

A labour councillor attempting restrict freedom of speech

How very unsurprising

#261 01.Apr.18 13:35:21

James Larkin

Philpot wrote:
James Larkin wrote:

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best, deceitful at worst and I would politely ask you to withdraw that remark, if not post 204 in its entirety.

How very unsurprising

Philpot taking something out of context and twisting it to meet his own warped agenda.

How very unsurprising.

#262 01.Apr.18 16:57:39

Philpot
Banned

James Larkin wrote:
Philpot wrote:
James Larkin wrote:

How very unsurprising

Philpot taking something out of context and twisting it to meet his own warped agenda.

How very unsurprising.

So within which context would you place Ridgewalker’s criticism of your performance?

#263 05.Apr.18 16:17:34

ridge walker

The play equipment on CPF that appeared on Good Friday, then taken down after the weekend has been re-errected and  is still in operation, the car park was full today  so whoever owns them is making a week of it, its bouncy castle inflateables mainly not fairground stuff.  i thought it was something for the Clayton action group for easter.  It could become much bigger and its town green status and any conditions it has may have been broken,  OMBC still maintain the playing fields and this is on the apron surrounding the pitches, its not happened before and it must have an effect on Broadway with children crossing the busy road at an accident black spot and that at the Retail park.  Q, was this permitted and for this period of time ?  No vehicles have driven on it, as vans park on the pavement, but they could have got past the bollards, worth an ask.

#264 05.Apr.18 20:19:32

LittleRach

They did the inflatable thing in Royton Park last year.
I took the kids but it’s VERY expensive if you have more than one child and they want to go on more than one thing.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#265 05.Apr.18 20:39:51

MikeS

Are they the same people who made such a mess of Royton Park?

#266 05.Apr.18 20:51:43

Tony

MikeS wrote:

Think that was the circus people.

#267 05.Apr.18 23:07:12

Woody

Tony wrote:
MikeS wrote:

Think that was the circus people.

That was Circus Star the ground was not fit to accept the weight of the transport after heavy rain,

But it was some charity thing involved with it a percentage of the takings were given to a charity in Romania or Bulgaria all the drivers had strong eastern block accents,

I would if I could but I can't,

#268 06.Apr.18 07:41:12

ridge walker

I did wonder if that damage in Royton Park from the corner gateway on Radcliffe street was a reason its not been used again, it took a very long time to complete the repair and get it reseeded, they had very large HGV sized mobile homes as well as the heavy trailers of equipment and a big tractor for moving it, and we had the smaller event for the music thing and bouncy castles, the concern is could CPF become an alternative venue, with its nearby car park and what appears to be full on pavement parking that cant be right, has it ever been advertised as an Easter Event i'm not aware off or something thats just been set up casually by someone and nothing to do with the action group as i assumed.

#269 08.Apr.18 08:24:14

ridge walker

A visit to the town centre on Saturday  found the new gents barbers  open and in full swing, the 2 owners were busy with customers with 3 more chairs available, the waiting room was full (5) its now fully decorated - walls and ceiling and outside the signs includes hot towels  etc so promised more, the images in the front window were o/sized and a bit scary showing a collection of exotic hair designs and men having facials with mud packs....... i think i will give it a miss untill i get over the shock.

Nice brilliant white paintwork on the crossing point was a bit startling, so i stepped back, but i had been spotted and traffic stopped so i had to cross, giving an acknowledgement to the drivers for being so alert, alerts are always worth having dont you think, still no reason given for the white marks on the crossroads at the traffic lights, bit of a bind having to check every time i go to the precinct expecting to see carnage and  panic in the area, but fingers crossed nothing of the sort yet, why do i miss all these crashes and fleets of emergency vehicles and drivers running away limping, maybe next time.

#270 08.Apr.18 20:00:29

nola

I can't remember if it's the new barbers shop, but I remember seeing a newly painted shop in Royton the other day, where the painters  had daubed paint all over the floor outside the front of the shop. I wonder if it's cleaned off?

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#271 09.Apr.18 11:11:02

ridge walker

Your correct Nola, even though they placed a sheet outside they got emulsion paint on the block paving from inside, it may wear off but it could have been washed off at the time, maybe they had no bucket, water soap or a mop just combs and scissers.    A notice about the inflateables is on the library railings so it must have had local aggreement and possible a donation to local good causes  (30th March -8th April) i wonder what else is decided locally instead of blaming OMBC, i know you know but like Woody's question about the amount of demolition in Oldham Town Centre and 'the waste of money' on flowers, we seem to be clearing many new buildings that have been built during recent years that replaced others that had lasted 100 years, the enormouse amount of disturbance and inconvenience it causes scarcely gets a mention, like the demolition of the Queen Elizabeth Hall, the site will be used as a temporary car park untill its redeveloped  yet our old Medical centre gets boarded up  for years untill its sold, same with Byron Street School and our Carnegie Library perhaps,  we can all point fingers at other areas and they need to be, we will be having local elections within a month, get it out now not afterwards- what dont we like about Royton as well as the good  bits to balance the  excellent new provisions.

#272 09.Apr.18 19:14:13

Tony

The decorators have also been busy in the unit next to the butchers, who’s moving in there I wonder?

#273 09.Apr.18 19:38:22

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

Your correct Nola, even though they placed a sheet outside they got emulsion paint on the block paving from inside, it may wear off but it could have been washed off at the time, maybe they had no bucket, water soap or a mop just combs and scissers.    A notice about the inflateables is on the library railings so it must have had local aggreement and possible a donation to local good causes  (30th March -8th April) i wonder what else is decided locally instead of blaming OMBC, i know you know but like Woody's question about the amount of demolition in Oldham Town Centre and 'the waste of money' on flowers, we seem to be clearing many new buildings that have been built during recent years that replaced others that had lasted 100 years, the enormouse amount of disturbance and inconvenience it causes scarcely gets a mention, like the demolition of the Queen Elizabeth Hall, the site will be used as a temporary car park untill its redeveloped  yet our old Medical centre gets boarded up  for years untill its sold, same with Byron Street School and our Carnegie Library perhaps,  we can all point fingers at other areas and they need to be, we will be having local elections within a month, get it out now not afterwards- what dont we like about Royton as well as the good  bits to balance the  excellent new provisions.

The way they clear old buildings these days we will be void of heritage buildings very soon nothing seems to be built to last longer than 30/40 years,

Royton & Crompton School opened for 600 pupils 1969 and an upgrade a few years later will be demolished when the new one is finished,

But most being made bigger to cope with our ever expanding population through excessive immigration,

What happens when we reach saturation point and we are dropping off the edges ?

#274 09.Apr.18 19:39:27

Woody

Tony wrote:

The decorators have also been busy in the unit next to the butchers, who’s moving in there I wonder?

Signage outside the other day from memory,  Shelly Bs Café

About time the Bakehouse is getting a bit expensive, An can be up and down depending who on duty,

Last edited by Woody (10.Apr.18 14:00:56)

#275 12.Apr.18 16:16:00

ridge walker

Repeat reply to confirm the unit is to be a cafe to eat in or take away, it shows basic food on its signage- burgers and filled rolls so could be a sandwich bar like Subway with hot or cold drinks with a few tables inside like the Chadderton Greggs on there precinct, it works well and even allows for a queue to form at the counter, its big enough inside, with the shutters down i missed it, only saw the ' For Rent' board that looks a bit battered fixed to the canopy, good luck Shelly B.

#276 18.Apr.18 20:17:49

ridge walker

Whats up with Royton today, traffic piled up and more road works in place at the Railway cross roads, yes i stayed well clear of it thank you- more emergency work without any notice, wake me up when its finished, its been such a nice afternoon to spoil it now for weekend.

The new road on Salmon fields looks very good but the wreckage left on the other side of the road where more trees were cleared is a total disgrace to the district now its abandoned for the summer season, if this is how work is conducted and we have to endure years of carnage before we see something arising from all this destruction they can keep it, this is not how its supposed to happen is it, why does it have to be a nightmare.

#277 19.Apr.18 11:01:26

nola

I think there was a crash of some kind at Royton traffic lights?

Really called Janet (and still confused)

Board footer