No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 04.Mar.18 15:13:03

Philpot
Banned

Beggar on the Prescint

My wife and I approached the female beggar outside Wraggs on Friday and gave her a sausage roll as it was obviously very cold. I did notice a pile of pound bakery items under her blanket.

I have since seen rumours that she is not homeless but actually lives on the Railway estate!!

Has anyone heard this?

#2 04.Mar.18 15:39:23

Rebel

Re: Beggar on the Prescint

Was that before or after gong in precinct winebar Phil

Last edited by Rebel (04.Mar.18 15:39:51)

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#3 04.Mar.18 16:06:16

MikeS

Do you mean the woman who sells the Big Issue?

#4 04.Mar.18 18:41:13

Philpot
Banned

Rebel wrote:

Was that before or after gong in precinct winebar Phil

Haha chance would be a fine thing Rebel !

#5 04.Mar.18 18:43:25

Philpot
Banned

MikeS wrote:

Do you mean the woman who sells the Big Issue?

No this woman was not selling anything. She was sat on the ground wrapped in a sleeping bag with a begging bowl

#6 04.Mar.18 18:47:56

Tabbycat

I think there's a post or two on ILR about her.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#7 04.Mar.18 18:47:58

Mags

My other half gave her a couple of pounds.
It's been on Facebook about her. She apparently lives with her boyfriend somewhere in Royton. Neither of them work and she wants the money for drugs. She can afford to smoke too as she was seen with a cigarette. No sympathy now for her, she is young enough to get a job.

#8 05.Mar.18 00:46:46

sg
Administrator

I'd rather she begged than mugged

[citation needed]

#9 05.Mar.18 08:08:23

Milly Savage

I'd rather she worked than begged or mugged.

#10 05.Mar.18 08:54:27

sg
Administrator

Would you employ a drug addict ?

[citation needed]

#11 05.Mar.18 10:35:09

Tabbycat

Surely being a drug addict is a lifestyle choice? I save my sympathy for genuinely disabled people who can't work, and the genuinely homeless who are in this situation through no fault of their own.

There is help out there for drug addicts. I usually feel an enormous amount of respect for those who have got themselves off the drugs and sorted their out lives because I realise it isn't easy. Begging in the street for drugs money is not cool.

#12 05.Mar.18 10:43:48

Rebel

Is she Polish ?

#13 05.Mar.18 11:47:56

Philpot
Banned

Rebel wrote:

Is she Polish ?

Not sure, but she sounded east European

#14 05.Mar.18 11:54:35

Rebel

Right then whatever nationality she is get someone from her consulate  to give her the aid and assistance she needs . Sounds like this unfortunate girl needs help .

#15 05.Mar.18 11:55:13

Rebel

Phil can you sort that out for me till I have more time.

#16 05.Mar.18 13:46:45

Barleycorn

Sitting on the floor, in damp cold conditions, waiting for coins to fall into a cup is not an easy option.

It might, at first glance, seem a way to idle away the day and go home in profit.  Perhaps some do treat it as easy cash & head to a warm well furnished home at 5pm.

But it is, for 99.9 of us, the sign you have hit the bottom rung. 

Maybe through lifestyle choices, maybe through illness, family trouble, economic woe ...  who knows??

I can't imagine the stress of getting to dusk,with barely enough for a hot meal (or the ingredients),   or the end of the week with no rent....

Add in the health impact of being cold for 8 hours maybe damp or actually wet.

Then, the fact sitting in grime in public, in all weathers - that  must destroy your self esteem....   

easy option???    Easier than your job??

Far from it, for most

Last resort, more likely.

Like so many other social ills, don't let a few freeloading wasters hide genuinely needy, systemically challenged lifestyles.

https://thetab.com/uk/york/2018/03/04/w … york-16137

Last edited by Barleycorn (05.Mar.18 13:49:40)

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#17 05.Mar.18 14:03:44

Tabbycat

I agree totally, barley.
But I stick to my opinion that drug taking is usually a choice. I don't know the young lady's circumstances, maybe she has been forced onto drugs by some horrible pimp, and if that is the case then I genuinely feel sorry for her.

If she has a home she doesn't have to sit outside in the cold.

The money she gets is highly unlikely to be spent on food, more likely more drugs.

I prefer to help genuinely homeless people.

#18 05.Mar.18 14:17:01

Mags

Me too Tabby.

#19 05.Mar.18 14:37:19

Erin

I genuinely feel for anyone who is dependent on drugs to help them get through the day.  We do not know the circumstances which led them to the awful situation they are in and who knows if we found ourselves so down maybe with mental illness, homelessness , violence, would we be strong enough to take the hard route to find a solution?  Until you have trod that  path who knows, I have always had a strong family at the back of me, not everyone is that lucky.  So when I see someone who is sitting on the pavement wanting people to spare whatever they can I give and hope that my contribution will help in some small way.

#20 05.Mar.18 14:50:38

Rebel

By them a coffee and a meat and tater pie .  Then write a letter to our MP telling him to get his bottom off the gravey train and come  up on Royton Precinct to sort this unfortunate girl out .
Never ever in my lifetime and by crikey when I was growing up we didn't have two halfpennys to rub together have I seen a person begging on the streets of Royton .  Yes every now and then at certain times of the year the odd walking tramp would pass through  to our amazement . But those were  cheery vagabonds tramping England    .Yes very smelly but cheery .

#21 05.Mar.18 16:16:13

Tabbycat

Rebel wrote:

By them a coffee and a meat and tater pie .  Then write a letter to our MP telling him to get his bottom off the gravey train and come  up on Royton Precinct to sort this unfortunate girl out .
Never ever in my lifetime and by crikey when I was growing up we didn't have two halfpennys to rub together have I seen a person begging on the streets of Royton .  Yes every now and then at certain times of the year the odd walking tramp would pass through  to our amazement . But those were  cheery vagabonds tramping England    .Yes very smelly but cheery .

This.

#22 05.Mar.18 16:44:35

Woody

The old tramp would take jug of Tea and any food items offered most worked on the farms at Hay making time but most now are just funding an habit,

One chap sits in Rochdale I reported his condition to the Police who advised me he lifts his trouser leg has you are passing showing ulcerated legs caused by drug abuse to gain money the Police said they had tried all manner of assistance only to be told to leave him alone,

But every time he has a problem he arrives at casualty were they get him clean and release him only to return the next time he overdoses,

I would if I could but I can't,

#23 05.Mar.18 17:18:05

Erin

Rebel wrote:

Yes I too remember when our family and all our neighbours were in the same boat, just about managing to keep the roof over their families heads and enough food to sustain them and yes to see someone beg was very unusual.  It would be a waste of time for them to do so everyone needed every penny for themselves, we all had nothing.  It is a different era now, the difference between the haves and havenots is enormous.  When we were younger if there was any drug taking it was something never talked about, the only drugs we had in our medicine cabinet was aspro.  We are now in 2018 and times are very different.  I feel for the vulnerable.

#24 05.Mar.18 17:34:12

Rebel

First came upon drugs in 1980  before that I thought only rock stars did drugs .

#25 05.Mar.18 17:36:29

Rebel

That should be first be and aware that people in my vicinity were taking drugs  not me I've never even smoked in my life .    Beer is the drug of my choice in moderation of course .

#26 05.Mar.18 19:40:18

Philpot
Banned

A different beggar there tonight. Looked like a black male

#27 06.Mar.18 21:03:34

nola

When I did my Open University degree, in one tutorial all the younger ones had to interview all us oldies (teenagers in the 60s).
They were expecting us to have done the 'tune in, drop out" stuff, but none of us had.   We'd been aware of tales of drugs but had never experienced them.

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#28 06.Mar.18 22:25:41

Tabbycat

nola wrote:

When I did my Open University degree, in one tutorial all the younger ones had to interview all us oldies (teenagers in the 60s).
They were expecting us to have done the 'tune in, drop out" stuff, but none of us had.   We'd been aware of tales of drugs but had never experienced them.

If like me, you were a teenager in the 60s, Nola, people probably expect you would have taken drugs but none of my friends, or my brother or his friends knew anyone who took drugs.
I worked in Manchester, had a lot of friends who lived/worked in Manchester and went out a lot in Manchester in the 60s and I never saw drugs. I never even drank!

#29 20.Mar.18 18:06:34

Mags

She was outside Lidl yesterday aftetnoon. I ouldn't help thinkng that if she has an address with her boyfriend why doesn't she get up and get herself a job. My grandchildren have had to do it.
She was smoking too, begging for money for cigarettes?!!

Last edited by Mags (20.Mar.18 18:08:10)

#30 03.Apr.18 14:59:22

Woody

New Pillow and a pot plant outside the old Yorkshire Bank premises this morning no sign of the girl,?

I would if I could but I can't,

#31 17.Apr.18 12:38:45

Mags

I have now had enough of those two beggars in Royton. It's about time they got off their backsides and got a job. If they are genuinely having problems then I've got it badly wrong, but I don't think I have.
The young man was there at around half past eleven with the white dog.
A lovely little old lady with a shopping trolley very kindly gave him a coin.He quickly pocketed it.
He ought to be ashamed of himself!!!! I felt like telling him so.

#32 17.Apr.18 15:26:14

Tabbycat

The bloke was in William Hills last Friday. His dog was tied to a lampost while he went in the bookies, I went in the pet shop and when I came out he was sat outside the Yorkshire Bank with the dog on his lap with a blanket over it.
I feel sorry for the dog, it's not much of a life, and it makes you wonder how he treats it when he's at home.

#33 17.Apr.18 16:14:25

ridge walker

If its the same guy he came into the village chippy last saturday without his white mastif dog, i wasnt aware then who he was,  but later after buying a newspaper he was sat on the floor with the dog outside the bank eating his chips and curry saurce, i sat on the bench near the Bakehouse as it was very warm that day, i glanced back to him as he staggered to his feet as if drunk and passed in front of me to fall through the door of the betting shop with the dog on its lead, he left the food carton where he sat, this was about 1pm.   I feel the same about the guitar player who plays in the precinct in all weathers and i know he plays in Oldham on Market Place, he too buys his chips and gravy from the village, its so sad there both grown men.

#34 17.Apr.18 16:21:16

Mags

I don't know what it is but I don't look at it as begging when they are busking. At least they are giving something  for the money given.
So Ridge, it appears the little old lady giving her 'widows mite' was most likely giving him money for his next bet.
Why is he blatantly being allowed to prey on vunerable good hearted people?

#35 17.Apr.18 17:16:36

Tabbycat

Buskers are fine as far I am concerned. It's a job isn't it? A lot of successful musicians started off as buskers.

#36 18.Apr.18 08:42:47

exile

I don’t mind buskers either, however bad some of them are they liven the street scene.  I don’t give them money though so they are wasting their time really.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#37 19.Apr.18 11:07:00

nola

There was a couple of slightly past it old buskers outside the Chadderton Asda the other day, enthusiastically doing their best.  "I'll be true to you, yes I will".   Aw!

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#38 19.Apr.18 15:03:58

exile

Penguin and Barley raising funds for their next Gig weekend maybe.  lol

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

Board footer