Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 02.May.18 18:18:59

Philpot
Banned

Minutes silence for local terror victims

DcNgHH7WkAEtI17.jpg

A lovely gesture

Roytoners have been invited to take part in a minute’s silence on Tuesday, May 22, in remembrance of those who lost their lives at the Manchester Arena bomb attack.

It’ll be a year since Islamist suicide bomber Salman Abedi blew himself up following the end of an Ariana Grande concert.

Twenty-two people lost their lives that night, including mothers Alison Howe and Lisa Lees from Royton (pictured), while hundreds more were wounded as a result of the blast, which destroyed the foyer of the building.

Now, on year on, Government officials and those who work in the buildings, will fall silent at 2.30pm on May 22 to mark the anniversary of the attack.

Read more here https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news … na-victims

#2 02.May.18 19:05:44

LittleRach

Re: Minutes silence for local terror victims

They’re doing a thing at the hospital as well.  I think that’s at 10:30

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#3 02.May.18 19:14:10

Tabbycat

I am a friend of Lisa's family and I'll be only too happy to join in the silence.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#4 02.May.18 19:17:45

Philpot
Banned

In addition to the silence, a service of remembrance will take place at Manchester Cathedral along with a number of other events across the city.

The memorial service at the Cathedral will be before an invited congregation.

It will be screened in Cathedral Gardens for the public as well as at York Minster, Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral and Glasgow Cathedral.

Manchester City Council leader Sir Richard Leese said music was "in Manchester's soul", as was shown in the aftermath of the attack when "spontaneous song captured the city's spirit".

A crowd broke into a rendition of Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis at a vigil after the attack.

"Coming together in song will once again demonstrate that remarkable sense of togetherness," he said.

"It is a fitting way for us to honour those who went full of joy to a music concert but never came back, or saw their lives changed forever."

#5 02.May.18 19:26:30

crackerbarrel

A year ago - it doesn't seem that long ago to me - but I bet its seemed a lifetime for the families. It will be a lovely gesture.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#6 03.May.18 06:31:38

Philpot
Banned

I ran the Manchester 10K last year which was just a few days after the Islamist bomb attack at the MEN arena.

During the days after the bombing we received various emails from the run organisers to say that the event might be cancelled

Thankfully, it went ahead

On that day it very disturbing to see the hundreds of armed Police on the streets of Manchester during the run. But equally heartening to see the defiance of the runners and supporters to go out and get on with life

I am doing the 10k run again this year on the 20th May and I believe there are many groups running to support the victims families and survivors

#7 03.May.18 11:25:20

Erin

I admire the stoicism of the general public to not allow terrorists to change our way of life and to carrying on doing all the things we planned.

#8 03.May.18 11:34:52

Tabbycat

You haven't got to let them win though have you? That's what they want. Carry on as normal, just try to be vigilant and just  hope for the best. What else can we do?

#9 03.May.18 17:33:31

Philpot
Banned

Tabbycat wrote:

You haven't got to let them win though have you? That's what they want. Carry on as normal, just try to be vigilant and just  hope for the best. What else can we do?

Quite right Tabbycat. The Christmas markets in Manchester still did well despite the anti ram bollards, metal detectors and general ring of steel that was installed around the stalls

#10 03.May.18 20:03:31

LittleRach

Tabbycat wrote:

I’m genuinely not sure what they want to achieve though.  Do they want to try to cause so much death and disruption that we give them a country or something?  Like when they say ‘we won’t negotiate with terrorists’, but what do they even want?

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#11 03.May.18 20:17:37

Philpot
Banned

LittleRach wrote:
Tabbycat wrote:

I’m genuinely not sure what they want to achieve though.  Do they want to try to cause so much death and disruption that we give them a country or something?  Like when they say ‘we won’t negotiate with terrorists’, but what do they even want?

Their ultimate goal has ever been the establishment of the Islamic Caliphate.

This is the ultimate goal for all jihadist groups.

More info here https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl … 52950.html

But they have never succeeded in conquering the west, .... and they never will

#12 08.May.18 13:47:39

Philpot
Banned

This snippet nearly went under the radar recently

MUSLIM young people took part in a 24-hour football match to raise funds for the victims of the Manchester Arena attack.

Oldham members of Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association (AMYA) were among the 40 teams who took part alongside businesses and other interfaith groups.

The event took place at Powerleague Trafford Soccerdome on Saturday (March 24).

Money raised will go to the UK Solidarity Fund, which has been set up by the British Red Cross to help people affected by terror attacks in the UK.

Royton mums Alison Howe and Lisa Lees were among 22 victims who were killed when a bomb was detonated at the Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017.

Laiq Khan, youth leader for AMYA's Oldham branch said: "Last year, Manchester was stunned by a horrific attack which took 22 innocent lives. We participated in this event in Manchester in memory of those victims so we can help people affected by terror attack.

"Football has always been a sport that unites our communities.

"The whole event was organised by volunteers and 100 per cent of all the funds raised will go to the UK Solidarity Fund.

"We are British, we are Muslims and we stand united against extremism."

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/sport/16116 … k_victims/

Well done to these fellows

#13 08.May.18 14:51:16

Tabbycat

Well done indeed.

#14 08.May.18 15:34:36

Erin

Thanks for posting the above Philpot, well done to everyone involved.   smile

#15 11.May.18 05:32:34

Philpot
Banned

BEST friends of Manchester Arena bombing victim Alison Howe are planning a huge celebration to honour the life of the "caring and beautiful" Royton mum.

Still utterly devastated by the horrific atrocity that cruelly robbed them of their "amazing" friend almost a year ago, they have organised a special free event at Oldham St Annes ARLFC on May 26.

It will be a day to remember, reminisce and pay tribute to 45-year-old Alison who died in the blast as she waited to collect her daughter, Darcie, from the Ariana Grande concert, along with friend her Lisa Lees, who was also killed.

Led by Adele Taylor, landlady of the Blue Belle pub, in Rochdale Road, who knew for Alison for 30 years, the pals who described Alison as "the mum" of their close-knit group of "girls", have rallied to stage the "In Memory of Alison Howe" memorial, which has the blessing of Alison's husband Steve.

On the day there will be a minute's silence before a rugby match between St Annes and East Leigh followed by a symbolic balloon release to remember the devoted mum, wife, daughter and good friend to many.

Her daughters Sasha and Darcie, stepsons Jordan, Jack, Lewis and Harris and mum Susan Cann will all be at the event.

The day has been generously sponsored by Cheadle-based brick manufacturer Wienerberger, through employees Paul and Tracey Miller who are friends of Adele's.

As well as donating £2,000 to cover all expenses to ensure everyone can gather together for free, they have also sponsored special commemorative shirts for the players which will be auctioned off after the game.

There will be bouncy castles, sweets and a disco and light show with DJ Neil Aylett in the Saints Function Room at the Higginshaw Road club.

"Some of the Saints lads came in the pub one night and I was talking about wanting to do something for Alison and that's how it all began," said Adele.

"We wanted to do something to celebrate her life and bring everyone together and bring our children together," said Adele.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/16 … im-alison/

#16 16.May.18 13:07:35

Philpot
Banned

More than 800 were injured in Arena attack

16th May 2018

A Greater Manchester Police update on their investigation into the Manchester Arena bombing almost a year ago has revealed that more than 800 people had now been confirmed as injured on that fateful night in the city centre.

It was shortly after American singer Ariana Grande had completed her sold-out concert at the Arena on Monday, May 22, 2017, when suicide bomber Salman Abedi blew himself up in the foyer, claiming the lives of 22 people, including two mothers from Royton, Lisa Lees and Alison Howe.

Now officers still investigating the attack say he also injured more than 800, up sharply from a figure of 517, which was released in December 2017.

Among those injured were people suffering physical and deep psychological injuries, whose lives police say "have been altered forever.”

Currently the Greater Manchester force have around 100 people working on the case full-time, with their work taking in hours of interviews with witnesses, sifting through thousands of hours of CCTV footage and piecing together evidence.

In a statement released by Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson today (Wednesday), he added more information about the work going on the try and talk to the brother of the bomber, who is believed to still be in custody in Libya.

“I want to be really clear that this is a murder investigation," Mr Jackson's statement read.

"We have applied for, and been granted, a warrant of arrest for the brother of Salman Abedi, Hashem Abedi.

"The warrant was issued by a Manchester Court to produce Hashem Abedi at Westminster Magistrates Court, which is standard procedure in terrorism and extradition cases.

"In addition, extradition has been applied for.

"It is because of this that it is really difficult to provide any further detail.

"Firstly we must respect the Libyan legal process and we are very grateful to them for considering our request.

"Secondly, it is vital that the court process is respected in this country and especially the right to a fair trial.

"It is because of this that we cannot comment on any specific detail of the case. When we can say more, we will of course do so.

"In the meantime, we will continue to gather evidence, searching for as much detail about what happened and evidence of anyone responsible whilst supporting the families, many of whom who are going through unimaginable pain.”

A number of events are being held across the city on Tuesday, May 22, 2018, to mark one year since the attack.

As a mark of respect to those who lost their lives in the atrocity, bells will ring out from St Ann’s Church, St Mary’s Catholic Church and the Town Hall at exactly 10.31pm on May 22 - the time of the attack.

In the immediate aftermath of the Arena attack there was a spontaneous outpouring of grief, love and solidarity through the sea of tributes left in St Ann’s Square (above).

Inspired by this incredible sight, the city council has organised the Trees of Hope trail to encourage people who want to leave and share tributes.

The trail will feature 28 beautiful Japanese maple trees - some of which will be nurtured with compost made from the floral tributes left by the public last year.

The trail will run from Victoria Station to St Ann’s Square. Messages can be attached using specially-designed cardboard tags which will be handed out by volunteers between 8am and 8pm every day, and until 11pm on May 22 itself.

Prince William and the Prime Minister will attend the special service at Manchester Cathedral on the afternoon of May 22.

During the service there will be a national minute’s silence at 2.30pm including across all government buildings.

The invitation-only event has been arranged for the families of those who lost their lives, first responders and civic leaders.

However, members of the public will be able to watch the hour-long service on a big screen in nearby Cathedral Gardens.

Meanwhile, competitors will fall silent for one minute ahead of the Great Manchester Run on Sunday as they pay tribute to those killed in the Arena attack.

https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news … ena-attack

Astonishing to learn that so many were injured by this horrendous Islamic terrorist attack

I am doing the 10k this week, which will also serve as a reminder of the Mancunian repsonse to these murderous cowards

#17 16.May.18 15:09:16

ridge walker

I dont think that announcement or the above post needs to be highlighted any more than whats already has been done, nor do i believe the PM needs to attend a service or to have a national minutes silence, its turning into an international event where countries are competing with each other who can grieve the most, take this figure of 800 victims up from 500, being upset or left with memories of the event does not make you a victim or a casualty of the bombing, i would think everyone who attended the concert will long remember the incident, people who watched it on the news or in the mornings paper or a week later witnessed the flowers in St Anns Square, all very sad but no need to go there, i understand it but isnt this morbid or what ghouls do, forced to see the scene in person, join the crowds, have a little weep, take photos and declare what a brilliant city we have,  Burnhams reputation has grown after the bombing, how good the people, its been milked from start to finish for publicity, take the poem printed on the entire side wall of the Next Store, wasnt it enough to be spoken outside the Town Hall to those gathered in Albert Sq, bit over the top to cast it in stone and gold leaf dont you think, who invited him anyway- whats his name.

Now a perminant reminder with an avenue of trees with the opportunity to buy a label to attatch it too, go the whole hog have balloons and  toys where does it end, does everyone deserve compensation for nightmares at night or being shocked at the news- turn it off its all been done before on Emerdale and Corry, give over, get over it and carry on, Manchester is like every other city, London, Paris where ever an attack takes place we have sympathy for them, but get a grip we dont have to have this endless outcry of weeping and wailing to show how strong we are and wont be defeated, that makes no sense, blow me up i dont care, you never knew the guy, if he posted it in the MEN before the concert would you still attend and say it will never happen its a scare story, you paid for a ticket 6 months ago, or its the FA Cup Final next Saturday cant miss that can we, make yourself a target i dont care, i will be watching the wedding behind a wall of sandbags and no ones coming in without passing the security at the door.  PS,  im mocking Philpots post, hope no one pinches his water bottle on the run or falls down a pothole.

#18 16.May.18 15:48:10

Tabbycat

I saw a placard on the tv today being carried by someone in Manchester. It said "You can't scare us, we're Mancs".

I thought to myself, try saying that to a mother who has lost her child or a child who has lost a mother, sister or other family member. In my opinion remarks like that are a little crass and tactless.
I agree with you, Ridge.  What happened was an atrocity we won't ever forget whether we have silences or whatever. And I do hope no one will be stupid enough to let more balloons off.

As for Andy Burnham, what is he for?

#19 16.May.18 16:35:20

Philpot
Banned

ridge walker  wrote:

PS,  im mocking Philpots post, hope no one pinches his water bottle on the run or falls down a pothole.

It’s not my post you are mocking ridge walker.

And if you are about around 5.30 am in the morning I might just run into you in Royton, no water bottle needed wink

#20 16.May.18 20:57:05

Rebel

sad

Last edited by Rebel (16.May.18 20:58:11)

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#21 16.May.18 21:31:30

sg
Administrator

I was at tandle hills for the balloon release. The organiser gave a message of hope not hate and she said “You are not a Muslim, you are an extremist.”

In that spirit I’m deleting philpot’s attempts to make this topic about Islam and am closing this topic.

[citation needed]

Board footer