No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 15.May.18 16:00:02

Philpot
Banned

Wages grow faster than inflation

Great news on a lovely sunny day

UK wages grew at their fastest pace in almost three years during the first three months of the year, according to official data.

Average growth in earnings, excluding bonuses, rose to 2.9% in the three months to March after a 2.8% rise in February. The latest reading is more than the Inflation rate of 2.5% in March.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-employers … r-11373359

This together with the record low unemployment shows how the properly managed post Brexit British economy is going to be great news for us all and our families

Offline

#2 15.May.18 20:47:12

LittleRach
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Ah, that would be lovely if it were true for everyone.
My wage hasn’t risen faster than inflation for a VERY long time


Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

Offline

#3 15.May.18 22:18:53

Barleycorn
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

LittleRach wrote:

Ah, that would be lovely if it were true for everyone.
My wage hasn’t risen faster than inflation for a VERY long time

 
Exactly!!   These stats are deceptive and misleading.

Rather like the 'more in work than ever' Tory boasts ...  Perhaps, but whilst 18 - 20 hours a week on a £10 per hour, zero hours contract might take you out of the unemployed stats, it barely pays the average rent/council tax/utilities total.

Hence record numbers of in work benefit claimants, in work food bank users, in work relative poverty.

Averages just need a few high outliers to bring up the headline figure...   Just ask a nurse, teacher, council worker etc.

Last edited by Barleycorn (15.May.18 22:19:40)


I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

Offline

#4 16.May.18 06:44:59

Philpot
Banned

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Barleycorn wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

Ah, that would be lovely if it were true for everyone.
My wage hasn’t risen faster than inflation for a VERY long time

 
Exactly!!   These stats are deceptive and misleading.

Rather like the 'more in work than ever' Tory boasts ...  Perhaps, but whilst 18 - 20 hours a week on a £10 per hour, zero hours contract might take you out of the unemployed stats, it barely pays the average rent/council tax/utilities total.

Hence record numbers of in work benefit claimants, in work food bank users, in work relative poverty.

Averages just need a few high outliers to bring up the headline figure...   Just ask a nurse, teacher, council worker etc.

The British hating left can not accept this wonderful postive news from official sources. They never will

Perhaps Barleycorn would be happier in Venezuela were the unemployed and starving locals have to raid the local zoos to eat the animals such is the dire state of their socialist economy

Credit where Credit is due, the Conservatives have done a good job with the economy and the lowest rate of unemployment and high wage growth is something to celebrate

Offline

#5 16.May.18 10:21:32

Barleycorn
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Except high employment is a scam - we have record levels of in work benefit reliance.

Every supermarket site in the UK gets around £5k a week ( so £250k per annum, each) in hidden subsidy as that is the amount paid to the staff at every Sainsburys/Asda/Tesco/Morrison store in means tested welfare.

WHY?   Because they don't pay a living wage.   

Elsewhere here, Philpot has sniped at £500K being announced to help some needy causes in the borough.  You may agree, you may not.  However the payment to our local supermarkets in staff welfare top ups dwarfs this amount.   

Surely this is the bigger scandal?   If you are truly bothered by funds going to the undeserving - why no complaints Philpot?

Here is a link from the Daily Heil - just to achieve some balance.   When they grumble, it must be bad...   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … table.html

This is a better article on the same subject ( but I would say that !)   https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable … -companies




Related to this, the 'high wage growth' is also a statistical trick.

All of the supermarkets mentioned will be paying shareholder dividends, performance bonuses to multiple levels of management - based on published, audited 'profits ...  and yet, they rely on taxpayers propping up their shop =floor workers through HB and various means tested payments ( NOT universal things like child benefit, btw).

Calling those two tory announcements 'wonderful positive news' is either blind faith or a succefull attempt to wind up those of us who don't accept the tory spin regarding the economy.


I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

Offline

#6 16.May.18 12:48:57

Erin
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

I really want to answer the above post but it would be of a political nature and this is not the correct place.  lol

Offline

#7 16.May.18 13:00:33

Philpot
Banned

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

As always a successful and thriving British economy is treated as bad news by the swivel eyed left.

The left yearn for failure and mediocrity, .... which lie at the heart of their socialist ideology

Offline

#8 16.May.18 13:13:33

Philpot
Banned

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Commenting on the latest numbers, work and pensions secretary, Esther McVey, said: "Since 2010 we have seen 3.2 million more people move into work right across the UK. Youth unemployment has fallen by over 40% and the unemployment rate is at its joint lowest since 1975.

"Today's figures once again cement that turnaround, with an employment rate of 75.6%, and on average over 1,000 people each and every day, since 2010, getting a job."

Great news indeed for the everyone apart from socialists and benefits scroungers

Offline

#9 16.May.18 18:56:49

LittleRach
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Philpot wrote:

Commenting on the latest numbers, work and pensions secretary, Esther McVey, said: "Since 2010 we have seen 3.2 million more people move into work right across the UK. Youth unemployment has fallen by over 40% and the unemployment rate is at its joint lowest since 1975.

"Today's figures once again cement that turnaround, with an employment rate of 75.6%, and on average over 1,000 people each and every day, since 2010, getting a job."

Great news indeed for the everyone apart from socialists and benefits scroungers

Great news for those who HAVE had an above inflation rise.
Less good news for those who haven’t.  Which would be me, my husband, and errmmm pretty much everyone that I know or work with. (But my circle of friends is fairly biased to those working in the public sector)


Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

Offline

#10 16.May.18 20:36:40

Philpot
Banned

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

LittleRach wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Commenting on the latest numbers, work and pensions secretary, Esther McVey, said: "Since 2010 we have seen 3.2 million more people move into work right across the UK. Youth unemployment has fallen by over 40% and the unemployment rate is at its joint lowest since 1975.

"Today's figures once again cement that turnaround, with an employment rate of 75.6%, and on average over 1,000 people each and every day, since 2010, getting a job."

Great news indeed for the everyone apart from socialists and benefits scroungers



Great news for those who HAVE had an above inflation rise.
Less good news for those who haven’t.  Which would be me, my husband, and errmmm pretty much everyone that I know or work with. (But my circle of friends is fairly biased to those working in the public sector)

We have have never been busier than we are right now. My firm is recruiting, with new orders and enquiries coming in thick and fast.

I work in the construction industry and everyone I know is flat out. There is plenty of work out there for anyone who can graft

Pay rises and bonuses are happening all the time

And the construction industry is always seen as a reliable barometer of the economy

Offline

#11 16.May.18 20:50:24

Penguin
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Philpot wrote:

We have have never been busier than we are right now. My firm is recruiting, with new orders and enquiries coming in thick and fast.

I work in the construction industry and everyone I know is flat out. There is plenty of work out there for anyone who can graft

Pay rises and bonuses are happening all the time

And the construction industry is always seen as a reliable barometer of the economy

I concur... The company I work for supplies the construction industry and we are recruiting to keep up with demand.

I feel sorry for the public sector staff who are tied down with the stupid pay caps etc. They are not going to see the above inflation pay rises for a long while!


Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

Offline

#12 16.May.18 21:48:27

LittleRach
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

I’ll have to retrain as a brickie!


Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

Offline

#13 16.May.18 22:07:36

Penguin
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

LittleRach wrote:

I’ll have to retrain as a brickie!

Scaffolder is where the smart money is... Have you been to Manchester recently, you can't move for the bloomin stuff!


Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

Offline

#14 17.May.18 06:59:15

Philpot
Banned

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Day rates for bricklayers, scaffolders, joiners and groundworkers are all excess of £25 per hour. Charge hands more than £35 per hour. There is travel money and bonus payments on top

Offline

#15 17.May.18 12:27:59

Barleycorn
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Brickies and scaffolders earning more than teachers, carers, nurses, firefighters, PC's.

No disrespect to brickies - but a country that puts healthcare, education and end of life care below manual labour is a strange, slightly sad place, imo.


I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

Offline

#16 17.May.18 19:04:22

LittleRach
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

Yup.  That’s a lot more than I earn.
Right.  Going to become a scaffolder then.


Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

Offline

#17 17.May.18 19:26:42

Woody
Member

Re: Wages grow faster than inflation

LittleRach wrote:

Yup.  That’s a lot more than I earn.
Right.  Going to become a scaffolder then.




A news report in London yesterday said a man had broken into several 4th and 5th storey flats in respectable areas by shinning up external Soil & Vent/Rainwater pipes to gain entry though bathroom windows left open has owners fear there is no risk being so high up,

And stealing High Value items of Jewellery and small artefacts,

Police are of the opinion he is a Scaffolder either out of work or topping up his income,  tummenupp


I would if I could but I can't,

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB 1.5.9

[ Generated in 0.045 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.34 MiB (Peak: 1.47 MiB) ]