No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 17.May.18 10:23:28

Philpot

NHS Heros Award

Monday night, not to be missed

A celebration of the hardworking hero’s who have sometimes had to go beyond the call of duty

Plenty of local interest too

The event coincides with the 70th anniversary of the NHS and recognised the heroism of both professionals and members of the public.

https://planetradio.co.uk/key/local/new … es-awards/

#2 17.May.18 12:30:38

Barleycorn

Re: NHS Heros Award

Very nice - although I think they would rather get paid a salary commensurate with their value to society.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#3 17.May.18 12:37:19

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:

Very nice - although I think they would rather get paid a salary commensurate with their value to society.

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £22,128 rising to £28,746 on Band 5 of the NHS Agenda for Change Pay Rates.

Salaries in London attract a high-cost area supplement.

With experience, in positions such as nurse team leader on Band 6, salaries progress to £26,565 to £35,577.

At more senior levels such as nurse advanced, modern matron and nurse consultant (Bands 7 to 8c) salaries range from £31,696 to £69,168.

#4 17.May.18 12:51:21

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £22,128 rising to £28,746 on Band 5 of the NHS Agenda for Change Pay Rates.

With experience, in positions such as nurse team leader on Band 6, salaries progress to £26,565 to £35,577.

At more senior levels such as nurse advanced, modern matron and nurse consultant (Bands 7 to 8c) salaries range from £31,696 to £69,168.

And £25 per hour for a fully employed labourer (25 x 7 x 5 x 47) is £41K per annum.

#5 17.May.18 13:02:14

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

And £25 per hour for a fully employed labourer (25 x 7 x 5 x 47) is £41K per annum.

Site work is peacemeal, dependant on contract lengths and subject to the weather

Through the winter months many Site lads earn relative peanuts only working short days and often stood down completely

Hence they make hay while the sun shines

On average annial earning are £20 - 40K, without the inflated pensions enjoyed by the public sector

#6 17.May.18 13:03:18

Erin

£25 per hour for a fully employed labourer BC, I find that very hard to believe.  yikes

#7 17.May.18 13:12:47

Philpot

Erin wrote:

£25 per hour for a fully employed labourer BC, I find that very hard to believe.  yikes

You are right Erin. Unskilled Site labourer are general on £12-18 per hour

And work is on a week to week basis with no pension or other perks

#8 17.May.18 13:20:54

Erin

I understand that Philpot, I worked in the cashier's office of a construction company many years ago.  Times and conditions alter but when you get down to it, it is just the decimal point that changes.

#9 17.May.18 14:40:04

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Erin wrote:

Sounds like they could do with union representation.

wink

#10 17.May.18 17:03:23

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Erin wrote:

wink

No, they are encouraged to better themselves through hard work and training. The CSCS competency scheme is now mandatory on all major construction schemes and operatives are incentivised to improve their lot and improve to higher skilled and better paid roles

No need for parasite union representatives who cream off fees and serve only to disrupt industry and cause problems for their members

#11 17.May.18 18:01:05

Philpot

Back to the actual NHS awards

One of the sexual health workers who helped lift the lid on the Rochdale grooming scandal was among those to receive an award.
Sara Rowbotham, 50, was given a special recognition honour for years of working with vulnerable children. Her evidence helped lead to the conviction of nine child abusers.

And a young survivor of the Manchester Arena bombing received the "young fundraising hero'' award for helping to raise £40,000 for the Royal Manchester Children's hospital, where she was treated for devastating injuries.
Freya Lewis, 15, was leaving the Ariana Grande concert when a suicide bomber detonated his device. Her friend Nell Jones was among the 22 killed.

Now for a 15 year to raise £40000 is quite amazing, especially considering what she has been through

I could not get my 15 year old son to raise £5  lol

#12 17.May.18 19:18:27

LittleRach

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Site work is peacemeal, dependant on contract lengths and subject to the weather

Through the winter months many Site lads earn relative peanuts only working short days and often stood down completely

On average annial earning are £20 - 40K, without the inflated pensions enjoyed by the public sector

Can’t let you get away with that.

You can’t say on one thread how wonderful the economy is, and how well paid construction workers are; and then do a huge U turn when it suits you to make out that actually they’re not paid much and nurses get a much better deal.

At least one of your statements is false. I’ll let you choose which one you would like to retract.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#13 17.May.18 19:32:14

Philpot

LittleRach wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Can’t let you get away with that.

You can’t say on one thread how wonderful the economy is, and how well paid construction workers are; and then do a huge U turn when it suits you to make out that actually they’re not paid much and nurses get a much better deal.

At least one of your statements is false. I’ll let you choose which one you would like to retract.

Both statements are true

Skilled construction workers are earning £25+ per hour. And right now business is booming

Unskilled labour are earning £12 —18 per hour

However the nature of construction work is such that hourly paid operatives (of all levels) are a transient workforce moving around with the work

Hence there are always periods of no work, or reduced hours ..... as well as boom times with long hours

The rates general stay the same ... but the hours fluctuate over the year

It’s not really that hard to understand

#14 17.May.18 20:01:05

LittleRach

But if the economy is as wonderful as you say it is, then there’s no need for them to ever be out of work.
So they will earn much more than nurses.

The vast majority of nurses are band 5 and will stay as band five all their careers.
Midwives do better with most being band 6.  But practice more autonomously, and also run the ward.  Band 6 nurses will usually be in charge of a ward full of patients.

Band 7 midwives will be in charge of an entire unit.  Potentially 4 or more wards, and all the staff and babies on it for that shift.  And band 7 pay only goes up to around £42k.

There are a few band 8a about.  I know three.  They get up to £48k - which I agree is a good salary.
I don’t know any 8c. I can guess who they might be in our Trust, but there are very, very few of them.  So your post suggesting that nurses might earn up to £69k is a little disingenuous without some numbers to back it up.

#15 17.May.18 20:08:56

sg
Administrator

LittleRach wrote:

Band 7 midwives will be in charge of an entire unit.  Potentially 4 or more wards, and all the staff and babies on it for that shift.  And band 7 pay only goes up to around £42k.

That seems like a lot of responsibility for £42k

[citation needed]

#16 17.May.18 20:12:56

Philpot

LittleRach wrote:

But if the economy is as wonderful as you say it is, then there’s no need for them to ever be out of work.

The vast majority of nurses are band 5 and will stay as band five all their careers.
Midwives do better with most being band 6.  But practice more autonomously, and also run the ward.  Band 6 nurses will usually be in charge of a ward full of patients.

There are a few band 8a about.  I know three.  They get up to £48k - which I agree is a good salary.
I don’t know any 8c. I can guess who they might be in our Trust, but there are very, very few of them.  So your post suggesting that nurses might earn up to £69k is a little disingenuous without some numbers to back it up.

Construction work is by its very nature transient. There will always be busy and quiet period, however when things are going well, like now, there is an increased demand for labour with enhanced rates and bonus payments on offer

The employment period however will be governed by the contract length

Oh, ... And as for the nurse salaries here you go https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/adult-nurse

#17 17.May.18 20:14:29

LittleRach

sg wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

That seems like a lot of responsibility for £42k

Why I’m not a 7!  lol

#18 17.May.18 20:17:13

LittleRach

Philpot wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

Construction work is by its very nature transient. There will always be busy and quiet period, however when things are going well, like now, there is an increased demand for labour with enhanced rates and bonus payments on offer

The employment period however will be governed by the contract length

Oh, ... And as for the nurse salaries here you go https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/adult-nurse

Please.  I’ve worked in the NHS for nearly 20 years.  I know what nurses do.  I know what they do and don’t earn.
Absolutely some advert will tell students that they could earn the absolute top of the pay scale, but the fact is that the vast majority won’t ever see anything like that.

I’m trying to find some figures of the percentage of nurses in each band, but I’m struggling to find those numbers at the moment.  I’ll keep looking though.

#19 17.May.18 20:28:46

LittleRach

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-informa … statistics

There might be something in here.  Not sure because I can’t ooen the spreadsheets on my iPad.  If I remember, I’ll have a go on the big computer tomorrow.

#20 17.May.18 21:26:24

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

wink

No, they are encouraged to better themselves through hard work and training. The CSCS competency scheme is now mandatory on all major construction schemes and operatives are incentivised to improve their lot and improve to higher skilled and better paid roles

No need for parasite union representatives who cream off fees and serve only to disrupt industry and cause problems for their members

I have a CSCS card - took me a few hours reading, on top of pre existing things.   

I dont see the link to pay rates, tbh.  Morte like site indemnity.  Actual T & C's vary wildly too.

Last edited by Barleycorn (17.May.18 21:28:28)

#21 18.May.18 05:17:38

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

wink

I have a CSCS card - took me a few hours reading, on top of pre existing things.   

I dont see the link to pay rates, tbh.  Morte like site indemnity.  Actual T & C's vary wildly too.

Which CSCS card do you have Barleycorn?

#22 18.May.18 06:11:02

Barleycorn

AQP, but it's all a bit vague in my  sector with the recent revisions.

I know people with different versions found doing the same job on sites.  Some have the CRO, some the black one,some the blue.

It's a bit messy, tbh.

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 06:18:18)

#23 18.May.18 06:40:39

Philpot

On the front of the card it will say

‘The registered holder of this card holds the construction qualifications listed on the the reverse’

Then on the reverse it will list your construction qualifications

For example my card says

Civil Engineering Site Manager industry accreditation

And

Building Site Manager industry accreditation

What does yours say ?

#24 18.May.18 08:37:15

Barleycorn

It says Academically Qualified Person

What do you expect an AQP card to say ??

#25 18.May.18 08:40:39

Barleycorn

rather like this one, only much more handsome.  cool cool

cscs.jpg

Why?

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 08:41:43)

#26 18.May.18 13:27:39

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:

https://s31.postimg.cc/4voxy7n87/cscs.jpg

Why?

That is not a skills card which a skilled operative on site would have to train for

Your is a minimal health and safety card for a site visitor

Advance scaffold, joiner, electrician, bricklayers ... etc ...all have extensive training through apprenticeship/NVQ and with work experience other such schemes

It is through this training that anyone willing to graft on site can go on to earn the decent money, and potentially move onto Site management

#27 18.May.18 13:50:24

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Why?

That is not a skills card which a skilled operative on site would have to train for

Advance scaffold, joiner, electrician, bricklayers ... etc ...all have extensive training through apprenticeship/NVQ and with work experience other such schemes

It is through this training that anyone willing to graft on site can go on to earn the decent money, and potentially move onto Site management

Or - what a qualified, professional uses for site access, before they spend days, weeks, months working there.

anyone willing to graft on site

Are you saying that isn't what me and my colleagues do?   

wow.

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 13:51:39)

#28 18.May.18 14:35:37

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Why?

Or - what a qualified, professional uses for site access, before they spend days, weeks, months working there.

wow.

That depends on what you actually do on site Barleycorn

#29 18.May.18 15:46:33

ridge walker

Best bit of banter this, full of interesting details and full of facts i was unaware of, why did we not do this sooner, must be the best we have ever had thanks to Philpot and Barley love of debate, nothing escapes them, even Little Rach played the game, i never knew nurses can earn so much making beds and filling water jugs, i thought they were the poor the working collected money before food banks were set up,  not sure about Barleys figures 25x7 x5 x47 bit and £25 an hour, must be an error like Rachel said its the decimal point that moves not the wage but i enjoyed the joke.

#30 18.May.18 15:49:50

ridge walker

For should be in there, can you spot it ?

#31 18.May.18 15:51:32

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

wow.

Yes, indeed it does - and as you have no idea, I'm not sure how you can pass comment.  Not that a lack of knowledge seems to stop you on other theads.

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 15:52:12)

#32 18.May.18 19:23:48

Philpot

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

wow.

Yes, indeed it does - and as you have no idea, I'm not sure how you can pass comment.  Not that a lack of knowledge seems to stop you on other theads.

I am not passing judgement, I was simply asking you what work do you do on Construction sites?

For example, on my role as Project Manager I have overall responsibility for the Construction scheme

To do this I have achieve success with 4 key components...

1 - Health and Safety and Environmental control on site

2 - Programme and progress control

3 - Quality Control

4 - Financial control

These key components together and the management of all client and other stakeholder communications are key to the success of a construction scheme

Should any of the 4 core areas fail.. then the entire project is deemed to have failed.

And then ... by default ... the Project Manager is deemed to have failed

So ... come on Barleycorn ... please do explain what you do on site

Board footer