No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 05.Jul.18 09:25:29

Tabbycat

This weather

OK, so I love the sun. I love it with a passion.

But I think I've had enough now. Every time you stick your head outside it's like sticking it in an oven. And I don't know how you workers go on. Kudos to you all.

Even the Queen's told them all to get on their bike. She's stopped doing appearances for the duration. She's said No Way Jose. And who can blame her? The lady is 92!

Sorry to be a party pooper but does anyone else agree we need rain now? The birds and animals are feeling it, the plants and trees are looking all bedraggled and we have fires to put out.
Anyone agree?

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 05.Jul.18 10:14:09

Tony

Re: This weather

Yes I've had enough as well, next week is likely to be much warmer still with places hitting 36C. Two dogs in the area have collapsed and died because of the heat.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#3 05.Jul.18 11:07:16

exile

I haven’t had enough but the garden is showing signs that it has.  A night of rain wouldn’t go amiss.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#4 05.Jul.18 11:43:23

crackerbarrel

I haven't had enough either - but an overnight downpour to save the garden & put out the moorland fires would be great.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#5 05.Jul.18 12:08:25

nola

Yes we need a sustained heavy rain

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#6 05.Jul.18 12:18:27

Penguin

I'm loving this weather - The last three summers haven't been sparking weather wise so I'm making the most of it.

Just checked on the Met Office and 2015-17 were wetter on average than the average of the last 30 years, and the sunshine was below average for the same period.

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#7 05.Jul.18 13:58:20

Erin

It can rain all it wants when we are in bed but the sunshine is just what we need, our last few summers have been washouts, it's time we basked in the sun.  smile  smile

#8 05.Jul.18 17:39:44

exile

it's time we basked in the sun.

Which is what I have been doing all afternoon and now I have a big red belly.  Oh well, it’s Presecco and fish and chips tonight that will dull the pain.    lol

#9 05.Jul.18 18:05:47

Tabbycat

It's obviously just me then. OK well I'll just have to knuckle down and enjoy it while it's here, won't I? wink  big_smile

I suppose once it starts raining it won't ever stop anyway.

#10 05.Jul.18 18:09:52

Tabbycat

I think this summer has outshone the famous one of 1976. Then, the heatwave started the second week of Oldham Wakes, which was the first week in July,  and continued till sometime at the end of August if I remember rightly. That would have been about 8 weeks.

So far I think we've clocked up more than that so far, haven't we?

#11 05.Jul.18 19:11:03

Tony

exile wrote:

Which is what I have been doing all afternoon and now I have a big red belly.  Oh well, it’s Presecco and fish and chips tonight that will dull the pain.    lol

How the other half lives!! This is a come down from caviar and vodka  lol

#12 05.Jul.18 19:21:18

Tony

Tabbycat wrote:

It's obviously just me then. OK well I'll just have to knuckle down and enjoy it while it's here, won't I? wink  big_smile

I suppose once it starts raining it won't ever stop anyway.

Not just you Tabby me as well, this weathers fine except when you have to work in it try stripping wallpaper with a steam stripper yikes

#13 05.Jul.18 19:23:23

sg
Administrator

I pulled up at some traffic lights in Bury today. Looked across and saw some grass explode into fire and it was spreading around the bottom of a huge wooden billboard. I clicked my hazard lights on and stamped the fire out before going on my way. Madness.

[citation needed]

#14 05.Jul.18 19:26:06

Tabbycat

sg wrote:

I pulled up at some traffic lights in Bury today. Looked across and saw some grass explode into fire and it was spreading around the bottom of a huge wooden billboard. I clicked my hazard lights on and stamped the fire out before going on my way. Madness.

Bloomin eck, sg! Well done you!

#15 05.Jul.18 19:27:47

Tabbycat

Tony I don't envy you with your steam stripper. sad I bet the roofers and property repairers and gardeners are having a ball though smile

#16 05.Jul.18 19:29:39

LittleRach

It’s lovely when I’m at home, but at work it’s absolutely horrendous.

Our wards and offices are far too hot at the best of times, but right now it’s awful.  Plus we have to wear heavyweight polyester uniforms.  I’ve decided that tomorrow I can’t do it any more.  I will go in mufti and take my uniform to wear when I actually have to be seen in public!

I’ve also said that I’ll do an extra shift on Sunday and I’m already dreading it because I know the ward will be sooooo hot.

I’m never going to complain about snow ever again.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#17 05.Jul.18 19:30:17

Tony

sg wrote:

Broken glass a possible cause? or had you thrown your fag end over there!!

#18 05.Jul.18 20:50:49

exile

Tony wrote:
exile wrote:

How the other half lives!! This is a come down from caviar and vodka  lol

Isn’t it always the same after a holiday.  Back down to earth with a bump.  lol
But the Presecco and fish and chips have been very nice all the same.

#19 05.Jul.18 22:35:16

Erin

Tabbycat wrote:

Tony I don't envy you with your steam stripper. sad I bet the roofers and property repairers and gardeners are having a ball though smile

When our gardeners came today they told me they are not moving the lawns, they are much too scorched and dry.  They were not happy about the situation, I asked them to sort the borders out instead.

#20 06.Jul.18 07:38:40

ridge walker

You can smell the smoke again this morning and the weather forcast is for the same hot temperatures over the weekend,  Sg has seen a fire start with no one present so thats interesting, how many of us would stop and stamp it out if passing in the car or any other incident, just shows what a good guy he is, always ready to help.

Heard that the Thai cave problem with the trapped young football team, a soldier has died while taking in oxygen bottles, they report they are 2 miles from the entrance and its its a 5 hour journey to reach them, soldiers are trying to divert streams on the other side of the mountain thats refilling the tunnels with monsoon rains due in a few days,  makes it more understandable how difficult it all is.

#21 06.Jul.18 11:21:12

exile

Erin your gardener is quite right in not cutting the grass, it will survive the drought better if you leave just a little bit longer than usual.  First rains and it will all green up again.  Also Tony I think spoke about not watering the garden except for pots. Again the right information, let the shrubs send their roots down looking for water they will survive longer.  Bedding plants need water and of course baskets and pots.  And don’t forget to feed once a week.

Board footer