No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 04.Jul.18 15:19:33

ridge walker

Water

Well how are you managing, i'm watering day and night with my watering can and at time with a hose pipe, i'm on a meter  and even so within half an hour its bone dry again, my plants are flattened however fine the spray and keeping pots moist is a non starter, my lawns are like straw like every other and its a joy to see every patch of green is now brown, like CPF, i'm wilting in this heat and the poor fellows and lasses who have made trails to my door selling me things is pitiful to watch, even the mission have been ignored bringing peace to the world, i cant stand argueing at the door step can you,   if the hosepipe ban comes into force this weekend goodness knows what Wimbledone will be like or the cricket fields, what about the poor farmers making hay while the crops dry up, is it a blessing or a curse to see fields of yellow and golden wheat, to suffer hay fever and swarms of midges, flys and wasps but cant shut the windows or doors, i'm here with the curtains drawn drinking the water, as much as i can get in the fridge,  still and sparkling for the Robinsons barley water,   phew its hot, and i could smell the smoke again today.

#2 04.Jul.18 16:58:31

Tony

Re: Water

I'm just watering the pots late evening the gardening expert on the radio suggested more harm than good is done by watering the rest of the garden as the plant roots start to grow up towards the water instead of down where they should be, better to just leave the plants.
The moors fires could have been started by scramble bikers who had a dispute with a farmer.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#3 04.Jul.18 18:12:45

crackerbarrel

We, like Tony, are only watering the pots in the late evening - all the other plants will have to stand or fall on their own. Apart from the pots I've not done any bedding plants or veggies this year, partly because I've hurt my back & partly it seemed pointless because of the hot weather.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#4 04.Jul.18 18:35:57

Tabbycat

Same as Cracker. I have hanging baskets and lots of large pots. They get done, and I try to do the garden plants because I don't want them to die, although I think one of my shrubs has succumbed. We need rain! I'm fed up of this heat now, everything is looking dry and bedraggled, and all the pavements are dirty and messy.
And then there is these moorland fires. sad

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#5 05.Jul.18 12:10:55

nola

Yes just four tubs, the rest will have to manage

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#6 05.Jul.18 14:05:39

Erin

With the amount of rainfall we get in this country even during our summer months one dry period of about six weeks (which we haven't seen since 1976) shouldn't reduce us to a water shortage. Come on UU start to spend on collecting the water, move with the times.

#7 05.Jul.18 18:06:53

Tabbycat

The fire fighters have been draining the reservoirs, so I think we will have a water shortage soon.

#8 05.Jul.18 19:18:00

Tony

Tabbycat wrote:

The fire fighters have been draining the reservoirs, so I think we will have a water shortage soon.

They keep mentioning a hose pipe ban then tell us the reservoirs are 75% full still. I remember in 76 going up to Ogden reservoir with my uncle to fish there and it had hardly any water in it, I remember seeing a nice clear spot of banking nobody was fishing from so I jumped down onto it and promptly sank to my knees in the ground much to the amusement of the other anglers who had avoided the spot!!

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#9 05.Jul.18 19:28:56

Tabbycat

lol  Tony

#10 05.Jul.18 20:52:59

exile

This water shortage isn’t from depleted reservoirs it’s the inability of the water companies to deliver what they are being paid to deliver.  But blame it on the customers and put the prices up, that’s the way to go.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#11 07.Jul.18 22:24:30

nola

I heard there's a call to re-nationalise water and to limit the bonuses paid by the water companies

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#12 08.Jul.18 08:26:00

exile

As many MPs are directors of water companies that’s not going to happen is it  ?

#13 08.Jul.18 12:31:52

ridge walker

I never learn, me an expert on all things eau natural, one of the key things to consider when watering plants is to avoid mid-day sun between 10am - 3pm= siesta time, say dawn and dusk when its cooler so the plants can take it in, so if you water at sunset it has a longer period than say sunrise that only gives 4 or 5 hours, better than nothing as evaperation from leaves and surfaces may  create more stress..... another point to note is overhead watering of the kind you see in garden centres and outside supermarkets using a hose pipe will flatten annual ,bedding and perennials as quickly as leaving them to dry out but this depends on how established they are, newly planted annuals must be watered through the soil as often as required and must remain damp, potted plants are best soaked by sinking the pot in a bucket of water untill air bubbles cease, you can check this by feeling the weight of the pot, even if you used water chystals added to the compost on planting it cant replace regular watering, same with the fertilizer, it cant replace folier feeds to the foliage after the sun goes down thats because Peat composts have no nutriants and dont work unless kept wet, yet poor soils produce more flowers, too rich a compost and you get more leaves, digging in manure retains water, better done in preperation well before planting, adding a mulch on the surface prevents evaperation and looks nice, and suppresses weeds, got that everyone if its not too late, make a note for next year  ha ha, hopeless really.... i'm enjoying the cabbage white butterflies on next doors lavender- lovely they are.

#14 08.Jul.18 14:56:43

Tabbycat

I took a chair outside and spent the morning pulling up weeds. I van only do it sitting down these days.
That should help the water situation as they were taking moisture from my plants.

This daily watering is a proper chore isn't it?

#15 08.Jul.18 21:39:22

exile

Yes Tabby it has become a chore and daft joe mugging here is watering next door who is away and another garden ten minutes walk away who’s owner is in hospital.  Don’t I have enough of my own to do ?  Obviously not.   monkey

Board footer