No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 23.Jul.18 17:47:54

ridge walker

In the factory.

Greg Wallace from the Master Chef tv show, has a winner here, every program is extraodinary, last night he was in Derbeyshire at a factory making instant coffee, in this case Nescafe Gold and it supplies the world, in 13 hours they take the fresh green beans, they roast them and grind them but thats just the start, things you never thought possible through to the freeze drying and filling of the jars its incredible how they add the smell, seal the contents, add the labels and send it off to the stores at the rate it supplies a city the size of manchester every day, i'v left out the middle bit of the production process if you have not seen it before, next week its toilet rolls, now that may not interest you but take a look and be blown out of your mind how big the business is and the state of the art production methods.  Did you know London had the first coffee house that exist today, within a few years 3,000 were on every street corner as an alternative to gin, they became the biggest financial companys in the world,  much much more, recommended viewing.

Whats this, Virgin media has taken off large numbers of its channels in a war with the american producers, started this weekend as warnings appeared, nothing received by post as its so sudden, its about the cost of showing them so they have decided to close them down and put other things on causing a lot of customer disatisfaction, early days, i'm on a package and they say you dont get what you pay for now and deserve a refund.

#2 23.Jul.18 20:08:24

exile

Re: In the factory.

Not having any premium channels I don’t really understand this Virgin business which I have seen on the TV news.  However I assume if you pay for a years subscription that amounts to a contract which seem to be variable at the suppliers will.  This contract appears to be as good as the result of the Brexit referendum.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#3 24.Jul.18 18:49:54

LittleRach

We are with Virgin at the moment, and we did get those channels as part of our package.  Now we don’t.
I don’t think I watched any of them though!

We can’t get freeview, so we have to have either Sky, Virgin or Freesat.

We moved from Sky because the Virgin lady said I’d get exactly the same thing.  I don’t.  The Virgin service is rubbish.  The streaming stuff never works, they haven’t got all the catch up stuff properly, and now they’ve lost half the channels we started with.

So we are going back to Sky again.  I was all for trying Freesat, but as we still need phone and broadband, the TV add on but ends up being pretty cheap, and everyone else wants all the channels, so I lost that battle!

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#4 25.Jul.18 08:04:22

ridge walker

I missed last nights Inside the Factory as i was watching Holby, cant do with the storylines  though and never watch Casualty, like Rach  most of the 1,000 stations we have very few are watched and could definately do without and were on the basic service, reason is i never know whats on and just go through them all each in turn, its either halfway through or on a break which i mute, just enjoying the cycling now but thats rare with constant switching between stations to avoid all adverts  even then the accents of the presenters in irish, spanish or scots who are retired riders does grate with us, plus the fact i never tune in to HD stations, if its not on BBC 1 its off.  I think we pay far too much anyway as it is and want everything for nothing- even the licence charge and broadband and the telephone.

#5 25.Jul.18 08:35:46

exile

Whilst I can agree with you there Ridge about the number of chanels  we don’t use - I have hidden most of them so scrolling through the guide those Chanels  don’t show -  we do look for HD versions.  I would be interested in why you avoid them.

Although the transmitter mast is just across from us and we see it clearly, in some weathers, mainly high pressure, the HD chanels break up and I have to go looking for an nonHD version.

#6 25.Jul.18 20:25:22

ridge walker

Fair question, i understand what channels 1-5 mean, with HD BBC 1 is on channei 108, ITV is on channel 113 and if i want channel 4 its 142 in HD, all i'm looking for is something to watch that does not insult me to much, i can manage with a plain old picture quality, i was quite happy watching the World Cup untill Mrs Ridge used the HD channels in advance , a quick change to ITV got me channel 110 instead of 103, she says i'm  stupid for not using HD when we have an HD tv set, and its been known for for me to switch over to a non HD channel when shes not looking, i know it will be ages before she realises, its when i put my glasses on or i move to a closer chair, Sky News is on channel 602 in our house, thats out now as i watch channel 103 in the morning but both are rubbish now- so is 101, even in HD its rubbish and i cant hear so well, i think we need a new TV, their amazing when i go into Curry's PC World, fabulouse pictures and terrific programs , films and stuff, no soaps so must be special  makes without adverts either, mines a Samsung, it looked ok when we bought but when we got it in the house the programs were awful and  its been like that ever since, must be the airial, should i have a mast outside like yours, theres a willow tree and a caravan and some cars, i will go back to the shop and tell them i want this transmitter as well, does it have a label on it saying vodaphone, must have cost you a bomb- their massive.

#7 26.Jul.18 08:15:25

exile

Ha Ha, point taken Ridge.  Being a generous sort of chap I do share the transmitter with others in the area and in turn they share the Welsh language Chanel with me.  You may remember I once appeared in a popular soap on the Welsh language Chanel but I didn’t get a BAFTA for my effort.

I don’t think my eye sight is any better than it should be, and I am deaf as a post using subtitles when they start mumbling as they so often do.  But I can see the difference with HD and ordinary and much prefer the HD.  Anyway each to their own so you keep watching the cycle racing, the duck feeding and the lawn mowing whilst fast forwarding the adverts.  I reckon that’s as good as SUDUKU for keeping your brain in gear.   smile

#8 26.Jul.18 14:11:33

ridge walker

I was being honest Exile, we have an understanding- any rubbish like soaps and big brother, get me out of here and love island perhaps get watched in another room, bu she recordes them as well if she misses anything, that means she's catching up during the day on thing like 60 minute makeover and the american chef with a sledgehammer refurbishing a restaurant, or the guy who hides cameras to catch the thieving staff selling all the booze and giving away the food to their mates, well its not in HD is it so i dont search for it, i like black and white films from the 1950's with great everything, scripts, stories and acting, Laural and Hardy.

#9 26.Jul.18 18:26:12

Woody

exile wrote:

Ha Ha, point taken Ridge.  Being a generous sort of chap I do share the transmitter with others in the area and in turn they share the Welsh language Chanel  with me.  You may remember I once appeared in a popular soap on the Welsh language Chanell but I didn’t get a BAFTA for my effort.

I don’t think my eye sight is any better than it should be, and I am deaf as a post using subtitles when they start mumbling as they so often do.  But I can see the difference with HD and ordinary and much prefer the HD.  Anyway each to their own so you keep watching the cycle racing, the duck feeding and the lawn mowing whilst fast forwarding the adverts.  I reckon that’s as good as SUDUKU for keeping your brain in gear.   smile

Is your TV sponsored by Coco Chanel very up market for a small island off the coast you will be a Tax haven next, ops

Or are you talking TV Channel, monkey

I would if I could but I can't,

#10 26.Jul.18 20:38:59

exile

In the interest of conserving energy I am using one N instead of two, that’s all.  Coco Chanel never made anything that suited me.  ?

#11 02.Aug.18 13:53:44

ridge walker

Sausages are best pan fried in oil  than being grilled or done it the oven. It all came out Inside the factory, a few years ago on Dragons Den a couple wanted investment for her meaty sausages, there firm was called Heck from Yorkshire, today their factory produce 650,000 sausages a day= 4 million a week in a dozen types, its a small factory in Ripon and all its staff are foriegn, the most common language is russian, most of their work is by hand but it is automated and have the first packing machine on trial.

It started with farm bred pigs in open fields, that look like the Somme battlefields of ww1, thay are then sent for fattening, by 23 weeks there sausages and that takes 8 hours, the meat is butchered at another company who then send it to the factory, but they have another process, its grown as a culture in vats that then increases in size in a liquid and then thickens, then its tipped out and cut into flat slices A4 size, then its chopped into tiny peices of mince which is soft and squidgy, so its freeze dried for easy handling and packaged for making even more sausages, it never see's pork or they make millions of scotch eggs with it, not the eggs- they buy those already boiled and shelled, the entire workforce only number 35 and the biggest buyers are in London,  did you know the Romans introduced sausages using horse meat, you really must read the lables not all sausages are 80%  pork, some can be 40% some are made in a test tube with a pinch or salt and pepper and a leaf thrown in ---YUK !    Do you know how American Hot Dogs got their name, you may want to sit down....its on catch up dont miss it.

#12 02.Aug.18 15:51:30

exile

Well I think we have known for sometime that the contents of a sausage are probably left not discussed.  Our meat shop makes their own with, as Ridge says, pork and other ingredients.  However those other ingredients from spices to fruit and vegetables make for some delicious bangers.

A little known snippet here.  Mario Lanza had a song about a sausage, it starts “ oh sweet mystery of life “

#13 02.Aug.18 16:05:15

Tabbycat

Johnny Depp is in an advert for an after shave that smells of sausages. It's called  Eau Sausage.  cool

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#14 02.Aug.18 19:37:36

ridge walker

lol   lol  Like the last one best but i'll have another think over exiles may improve with age, next program is about Curry saurce in jars, lots of companies make them so must be popular in the kitchen, tried Ragu for pasta dishes, Pataks, and Lloyd Grose,man but having a range of currys on the shelf has given way to chopped tomatoes and tuna lately, must be something more  to it than just boiling stuff and adding spices, dead easy that, just use bigger pans and keep stirring, add a chicken.

I forgot to mention, the other alternative sausage thing is produced from a yeast type powder, its not soya, but it also makes chicken nuggets, they add fish oil and looks like putty, the stuff they used for windows, smelt of linseed oil,  must be a wonder food if all it is is water and a pinch of white powder, nothing mechanicle involved- i remember the Walls fiasco with their sausages.  And not forgetting nothings wasted of the pig, its ears are sent to china as they love pigs ears there, i feel sick now, Greg scoffed everything they gave him- no problem.

#15 02.Aug.18 21:26:13

Tabbycat

I've read in the paper today that China farms cockroaches for animal and human consumption. They fry them twice until the outside shell is crispy, and the inside looks like cottage cheese.

They also use them as animal food. With 6 billion of them in one factory and it is said that in the event of an accident and they escaped they would render the nearby towns uninhabitable.

Bet you're pleased I told you that, eh?

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#16 02.Aug.18 22:24:13

exile

They have been threatening us with fried insects for years,  it will take the Millenials to adopt them as a latest fad.  But keep a look out at a chippy near you anytime soon.

#17 03.Aug.18 08:14:16

ridge walker

This show is brilliant, when you think of how food is produced and arrives at our supermarkets its amazing, all that organisation and distribution along our motorways that goes on every hour of the day to feed the nation, i also like How its Made and The Five Billion pound Super Sewer on the Thames  and that London Cross Rail project that cost  even more £billions, and were stuck with bike lanes no longer than a few feet on the pavement, which is an offence to pedestrians.

Wallace has another show called Eat Well for Less, he looks at what familys are spending on their weekly shopping and tries to reduce their bills by cooking something, he has a co host called Chris Bavin who used to sell flowers on a market, they put him on a show about Britain in Bloom which was so bad it made me cringe, same on this completely ruins the program, good idea but the beeb made a right mess of it introducing this new chap as a presenter- there lies the problem new faces sticking their noses in where its not wanted who add nothing but extra cost.   I think we could make changes to the London Marathon and reduce the runners by 30,000 cluttering the streets up, we only need about 20 at the front doing the running, same with football, why these big stadiums we could manage a few games from the red wreck and CPF and save the money for take aways.

#18 03.Aug.18 08:43:05

exile

That billion pound sewer has been fascinating.  Sinking the access well and then linking them all up below the Thames and the underground. 
I expect that mess down there is just the same under Royton and Anglesey it’s a good job we don’t see it isn’t it.

#19 03.Aug.18 18:51:45

Woody

exile wrote:

They have been threatening us with fried insects for years,  it will take the Millenials to adopt them as a latest fad.  But keep a look out at a chippy near you anytime soon.

"Redmans" in Rochdale had chocolate covered Ants in the sixties what's new,

I would if I could but I can't,

#20 03.Aug.18 20:22:02

Erin

I've bought a packet of the Heck pork sausages from Tesco today, I will report back when we eaten them.

#21 08.Aug.18 08:30:25

ridge walker

Last night Holby had been postponed so i could watch Greg Wallace instead- for some reason they have been showing a multi sport program all day long, but Greg was in a Fish Finger factory not a curry one, it wasnt recorded either so must have been extra, again very interesting compared to Holby and Sport and i wont spoil it for you by explaining the process only that they use liquid Nitrogen from  BOC that arrives in 18 ton tankers, it takes 1 hour to unload into their tanks, i am hearing Nitrogen is used for many products now because it freezes things very fast and the temperature continues to drop after treatment when at room temp'  even the tanker was iced up at the valves at the back, one of the highlights in the details i never knew.

OK i cant resist, they use Cod about 6 years old of a size they can handle, after cutting up its skinned then packed into cardboad boxes of a regulated size and frozen into solid blocks (slabs) then dispatched, at another factory its unpacked and cut into 4 peaices called bricks, then cut again into slices x 6 off, then cut again using a band saw into fingers by hand.    Everything from here on is done while frozen, nothing is cooked except the bread crumb coating, then they get the Nitrogen treatment before they are packed into plastic bags and put into boxes and sent to the shops, you buy them and cook them yourself- fantastic, made originally for children.

One clever scientist explained while frozen bacteria cannot grow, and we must thaw them out carefully in the fridge before cooking, its on the packaging but no one reads this, germs grow in water so you can feel this with your finger that there ready to cook- how many just bung them into the oven or microwave or use a frying pan without even bothering to read the small print, Birds Eye are at fault here it should be made clearer and come with a health warning.

#22 08.Aug.18 13:04:12

Erin

I have recorded last nights episode but  as promised the verdict on the Heck sausages was OK.  You can tell the meat content was high and the taste was OK, I would buy them again.

#23 08.Aug.18 14:16:14

ridge walker

I found them too meaty for me but thats their trade mark, they do a wide veriety of fillings now, more like the german sausages like Bratwurst but you must have the right bread roll or torpedo, i like bangers and mash + onion with HP source and on a trip to Southend there are shops there that take out the front window and cook sausagesin that space, customers buy them on the street and i have never seen that before, just bangers- no rolls or mash just like in a german market eaten with mustard and a ltr of beer, i suppose they have sourkrout but we dont see this here on the xmas markets.

Board footer