No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 29.Jul.18 08:24:02

nola

Manchester airport

Wow! Just seen the video someone has posted on Facebook about the chaos at T3 with the new pickup fee. The cars now have to be fed through a barrier, with chaotic traffic jams meaning they overshoot the £3 for 5 minutes and end up paying £25

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#2 29.Jul.18 08:53:39

Penguin

Re: Manchester airport

Is that pickup or drop off?

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#3 29.Jul.18 09:29:29

Tabbycat

I've heard the same thing, Nola. And that if it's longer than that it can be as much as £100.

My OH was asked to pick family up at the airport but this is just too scary for him, particularly as he has never been to the airport in his life, so he declined and they are getting a taxi instead. Less stressful for my OH but as stressful for them I would think.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#4 29.Jul.18 09:34:27

exile

Penguin wrote:

The one I saw Penguin was pick up, two lanes into one for the barrier and if they exceed their fifteen minutes it’s £25.  Same thing at T1 but I didn’t bother watching that video.  Of course everyone was loosing their temper and sounding their horns.  Not good at all.

I saw at a London Airport they were trying to do pickups at arrivals to avoid the fee but they were getting booked for doing that.  Eventually passengers will find a way around  but whatever happens this makes Manchester Airport look even worse than it was.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#5 29.Jul.18 11:14:57

Tabbycat

#6 29.Jul.18 12:29:10

The Chief

It's a big big thing amongst cabbies.

A lot are refusing to take customers to the airport as the delay in getting out is causing them to receive a £25 fine.

All down to pure greed

Be happy - You'll live longer

#7 29.Jul.18 18:18:55

Woody

Penguin wrote:

I have heard its £4 to pick up and drop off But you have to run through the terminal building at one end and exit the other the heavy traffic is causing tailbacks within the building so people are taking longer than the allotted five minutes and having to pay a higher £25 fee to exit,

Its been caused by a spate of Cars parked for a day by businessmen doing EU business being broken into up to 90 in one day recently,

The idea is to limit access to the Terminal so no one goes in other than people parking and flying out,

But has the car park is integral to the Terminal its hard to limit access but prohibitive for people dropping friends and family off no easy solution other than to limit pedestrian access but how do you segregate genuine people from car thieves,

A lot of people are being dropped at Hotels and walking the last bit Ok if you have not got luggage for the family pushchair Golf Clubs Etc,

Last edited by Woody (29.Jul.18 18:21:49)

I would if I could but I can't,

#8 29.Jul.18 20:36:05

Penguin

This won't last long.... Hopefully!  mad

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#9 30.Jul.18 22:12:44

nola

I'm not sure what to do for the best.  We're going with grandchildren on a day drip flight to and from the Isle of Man in a couple of weeks.  Has anyone got any thoughts on what the best way to do it is?  Taxi? Park our own car?  We've got to be there about 6am.

#10 31.Jul.18 00:00:36

Tabbycat

My daughter is going next week and is thinking about getting the taxi to drop her off outside the drop off zone and walking to the terminal. I suppose it depends how fit you are, and with grandchildren it could be difficult.

#11 31.Jul.18 07:10:53

mudskipper

there is still a free drop off zone and a free shuttlebus will take you to the terminal

Manchester Airport Rip Off

'If voting actually changed anything, they'd make it illegal'.

#12 31.Jul.18 10:26:41

Barleycorn

mudskipper wrote:

there is still a free drop off zone and a free shuttlebus will take you to the terminal

Manchester Airport Rip Off

This.

Its about 10 mins on the bus - several per hour.   

FAr be it from me to defend any corporate greed ( or the mess that bad planning creates) BUT - the charge is a deterrent to get folks using the FREE  drop and ride facility.   Or you accept the charge

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#13 31.Jul.18 12:19:21

crackerbarrel

There were a few of us so we hired a minibus & they dropped us at the terminal.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#14 31.Jul.18 15:31:23

exile

Is it a special rule for taxi and mini busses ?  When we went away last month I left the car in a car park about ten minutes away and they drove us into the departures in a mini bus with no problem.  When we got through baggage on our return I phoned them and they said go to Bus stop F and we will be with you.  This we did and he stopped and picked up us and anothe group returning to the same yard.
I have used these same people several times now and although the yard is a bit rough and ready I have had no problems with my car or the transfers.

#15 31.Jul.18 15:48:22

Penguin

exile wrote:

I have used these same people several times now and although the yard is a bit rough and ready I have had no problems with my car or the transfers.

Exile, I'm thinking of driving in on our next trip, could you please tell me who you use?

Cheers
Penguin

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#16 31.Jul.18 16:54:53

Barleycorn

Penguin wrote:
exile wrote:

Exile, I'm thinking of driving in on our next trip, could you please tell me who you use?

Cheers
Penguin

Sounds like the place just off Styal Rd - we use them too.   A few firms use the same compound.

https://www.airport-parking-shop.co.uk/ … -ride.html

You can usually pick up a voucher or discount via topcashback or groupon etc etc...  Last trip we got 6 days parking, parking, drop off and collection for £17.   Great value.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#17 31.Jul.18 18:52:34

Penguin

Cheers Mr B

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#18 31.Jul.18 21:35:01

exile

Our park is.  Hunters Yard, 295 Wilmslow Road, Cheadle, SK8 3NN
Mob.  07734981111
Tel. 0161 4372030
www.huntersairportparking.co.uk

If you go on Google Earth you can see the yard, and all the parking that you don’t actually see when you go, as I say it’s a bit rough and ready to look at but they have a lot of regulars we have spoken to both at the airport and at the yard.

Anyway for what’s it worth there you have it.

#19 31.Jul.18 21:44:32

Penguin

Cheers Exile

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#20 01.Aug.18 16:47:36

nola

Thank you so much everyone!
The free shuttle bus sounds a good idea for dropping off and picking up and the nearby parking sounds great if you take your car.

#21 01.Aug.18 17:02:28

nola

Ive just looked up parking charges for Manchester airport and they seem about the same as the ones mentioned above that are a distance away.    I'm just wondering if there's a disadvantage of parking at the airport that it gets you mixed up in all the current congestion?

#22 01.Aug.18 17:05:34

Mags

The pick up charges are just the same as they were, no change. £4 for 30 minutes. The signage to T3 arrivals is bad, you really have to keep your eyes open.
That video online is the drop off area.

Last edited by Mags (01.Aug.18 17:06:10)

#23 08.Aug.18 17:27:39

FerdyMayne

If you follow for T2, you get signs for the free drop off and shuttle bus to all terminals. It's every 15 mins, 24 hrs a day. The walk is pretty short, too. All taxi drivers go through the terminal for £4 no matter how long it takes.

The charging might not just be about profit. An attendant at the free drop off says they are trying to stop drop-offs at the terminal for security reasons. The free drop-off will be free until they become commonly used then charged same as the current terminal.

Board footer