No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 05.Aug.18 10:54:30

Tabbycat

That's two hours of my life I'll never get back

Last night I watched Twelve Years a Slave for the first time, and my goodness what a difficult film that was to watch.

It was unrelenting horror from beginning to end. It makes you hate the white American colonials with a passion.

There wasn't one single kind white person in the whole film to lighten it up

My hubby fell asleep but I watched the wretched thing from beginning to end by which time I was so depressed I had to put an episode of Only Fools and Horses on otherwise I'd have had nightmares.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 05.Aug.18 12:40:51

exile

Re: That's two hours of my life I'll never get back

It is certainly a powerful film Tabby but it makes a point worth the making.  Well I thought so anyway

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#3 05.Aug.18 14:45:15

Mags

I saw it a while ago Tabby. Many of the slave owners were so cruel. The film Roots was also very thought provoking.

#4 05.Aug.18 15:03:08

Tabbycat

The film upset me so much. I have been blessed/cursed with a very good imagination and I didn't actually have to see the cruelty acted out. Perhaps some people need that, I don't know. I just know that I spent the whole film hiding behind the sofa.

I bought Roots the other day, the book. Please tell me it's not as graphic as this, otherwise I might need a nice book of kittens to keep beside it for a bit of relief.

#5 05.Aug.18 16:45:55

ridge walker

A similar film a week ago Free State of Jones about the american civil war and the life of a white confederate soldier from Allabama, he rebelled against his army and the treatment of black slaves and  created a Free State with those who were hunted down with dogs who escaped to the swamp lands, what with the mass hangings and the rise of the Ku Klux Clan thousands of blacks and white sympathisers were murdered in following years as appartide took hold despite the new laws that protected them, it was far worse than Missisipi Burning how terrible Americans can be  long before the teachings of Martin Luther King "I have a Dream" the mass marches and bussing of school children, its a shocking history and began by our own plantation owners and englishmen investing in slavery and the shipment from Bristol and Liverpool, how inhumane were we then to each other building an empire on such crualty.   I felt why produce such a film with not a single sign its in the past and forgotten, not one redeeming feature just horror upon horror, nightmarish.

#6 05.Aug.18 16:49:17

Tabbycat

I felt why produce such a film with not a single sign its in the past and forgotten, not one redeeming feature just horror upon horror, nightmarish.

This ^^^^

#7 05.Aug.18 22:32:40

nola

Sounds like one to avoid then  sad

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#8 06.Aug.18 09:54:03

Barleycorn

Tabbycat wrote:

I felt why produce such a film with not a single sign its in the past and forgotten, not one redeeming feature just horror upon horror, nightmarish.

This ^^^^

Perhaps because a lot of people simply don't know / understand what happened, so recently.   

Casting Brad Pitt was inspired - probably helped push it up the ranks.   

I agree it is uncomfortable to see - but like other films that hold a mirror up to humans, it should be required viewing in our schools. imo.

See also Schindlers List, Hotel Rwanda, Which side are you on?, Band of Brothers etc etc.

BUT - alongside the life affirming, good news, feelgood  stories - and thankfully, there are far more of those, as people are nice, on the whole.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#9 08.Aug.18 17:50:49

ridge walker

I think thats a well reasoned reply Barley,  teaching teenagers of  events when they can make a judgement of it certainly, anyone younger would be disturbed,  only yesterday did i learn the leader of the Ku Klux Clan works in the White House as advisor to Donald Trumps administration, his name escapes me but when mentioned it not mentioned who he represents but he has influance and has a following like a religouse leader, like gun law we here dont understand any of it.

#10 08.Aug.18 19:16:25

Tabbycat

There's an awful lot of racism in the USA. Maybe it should be compulsory viewing for teenage schoolchildren, the same way that our children learn about the Holocaust in this country.

The message being, Never let it happen again.

#11 09.Aug.18 07:58:17

ridge walker

KKK, its the Klan sorry,  yesterday they were celibrating the Battle of Ameins in 1918 with Prince William making a splended speech in their cathedral with a congregation of 600 veterans, the PM was attending, its a fantastic opportunity for schools to take children to these places once the dust has settled so to speak let their imagination do the rest, it can be a very moving experiance just to to go to a war cemetary and see  what it means to everyone lest we forget, 100 years i was not even aware this was taking place just it was an anniversary, yet 30,000 died in a few days that lost a generation of young men.

Board footer