No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 12.Aug.18 12:51:52

ridge walker

Roundup.

Several months ago i purchaced a new sprayer for the garden, i use it mainly for treating moss and the occasional weed killing and as an insectacide, this new one was a back pack model  and with it i stocked up with new chemicals, on reading the assembly instructions it advised wearing a full protection suit and head guard /face mask which was understandable but rather expensive, later i received a warning letter from Screwfix that there was also a risk with a faulty connection and extra care must be taken with the hose fitting, or i could return it and get a refund, i understood a leak getting on the skin would be rather irritating.

Yesterday Monsanto in USA were fined $200 million for selling its herbicide Roundup, this is sold here under the same name by Bahir and contains the chemical Glysophate, when sprayed on weeds its systemic and reaches the roots and kills the plant, it has been found to be  the cause of cancer being a carcagenic agent, one victim took the company to court and won the case, Bahir have declared it safe this morning, (if used correctly) can that be the case.

This chemical is widely used and by our parks department,  when diluted with water its used mainly to prevent grass growing along the edges of pavements and footpaths, it can be hand sprayed using a back pack style pressure bottle using a lance or sprayed from a tank mounted on a quad bike for a faster treatment, its a controlled spray to a 6 inch width so theres no overspray.   Roundup up is also sold ready mixed in a hand spray bottle, normally using rubber gloves but must present added risk, in america its used in farming and on crops, i was not aware it was so selective, some products like Weedol do not damage the soil or pets, others like Pathclear treats the ground to prevent growth,  Roundup can kill woody material like young trees and shrubs through the leaves into the roots,  i expect the shelves will now be cleared and this product become only available under licence or banned altogether if found to be true, remember agent orange that cleared forests in Vietnam, sprayed from the air affecting its own soldiers in the operation, could be one of those.

#2 12.Aug.18 12:58:23

Erin

Re: Roundup.

Frightening Ridge, it makes you wonder just how safe are all the insecticides which are sprayed on the crops in farmers fields??

#3 12.Aug.18 13:42:48

Tabbycat

I hope they do clear the shelves. I don't use poisons in any shape or form and I wish shops wouldn't sell them either.

Nothing that grows is that bad, surely,  that we need to use industrial poisons on them, putting other animals/plants/insects/bees at risk? Id rather put up with the weeds.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#4 Yesterday 07:50:10

ridge walker

I compare this to the sale of acids and powerful drain cleaners, we never expected them to be used as weapons, these garden products could be used in a similar way, they are marked with the poison logo but appear on the shelves of shops like Boyes on the high street not just garden centres and DIY stores.

Board footer