No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

crackerbarrel

#1 10.Aug.18 08:55:33

ridge walker

Deliveries.

A few days ago i went to Middleton, after passing Tesco where i park i went to cross Long Street which is very wide with a narrowed entrance from Assheton Way roundabout, i was waiting at the bank when several cars pulled up in the bus only space which i thought was a bit unnesessary as the drivers then walked off avoiding the ATM's and went to a row of shops.  Opposite a 7 ton delivery wagon was parked on double yellow lines unloading cages with its rear tail lift and the driver was struggling to then get them over the curb as they were heavy, in front of Wetherspoons  is a long taxi rank that is always empty and here too cars stop, it may be used more in the evening but during the day no taxis wait here, the delivery was for Spoons, and at that time all the frontage windows were opened up to allow air in on a hot day about 11am.

The black driver was trying to push the cages up a tiled ramp to get them inside as there on wheels and customers were helping him by pulling, i followed him inside which is carpeted, already 2 others were against the coffee machine and another up against a slot machine, customers with cups were lining up so i found a table to watch, the female staff began to open the cages as they have seals on the gates and carry boxes into the kitchen area, really heavy loads, then all the cardboard packaging came out folded up and whole to fill the empty cages to be taken away- they had a routine, and the manageress was in charge and doing most of the work.  i went to order a coffee and attempted to move a full cage aside as no one was doing anything, it would not budge not an inch, its wheels sunk in the carpet, i got some funny looks those lined up had already tried, i had to wait so that allowed me to see what was inside the cages, more were being brought in and the bar area was now blocked off.

I spoke to the manageress who told me the back of  the building had flites of steps on the inside that then have shorter ones to get to the bar, they cant get deliveries in from the back street, i checked it was all parked up and the pavements were covered in trade waste bins from all the shops, no 7 tonner could get in nor unload here, she then told me the driver had just been booked by a traffic warden, and they were hurrying to get the cages unloaded so he could depart.  i discovered the wardens have been booking him every week for the last 5 years then leave, even though every van and delivery vehicle park in NO UNLOADING areas, i pointed it out to him but they dont get booked, maybe they move faster i dont know, total chaos to run a town and treat its most valued business this way is a disgrace, its hell for everyone and most Wetherspoons have the same problem, it makes Town Sq and Spindles look fantastic how its designed to deal with its deliveries and trade waste, you never see any of it, how do they manage it so well and this nonsence goes on elswhere ?

#2 10.Aug.18 18:08:58

nola

Re: Deliveries.

That sounds horrendous Ridge.  I suppose it's that Spindles places are purpose made, whereas Wetherspoons use old buildings

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#3 10.Aug.18 20:33:22

ridge walker

They find new uses for them Nola and retain their history, this started when the resurfaced Middleton Gardens and Long Street was redesigned when Tesco was built, it has a right hand turn and all the shops have restricted no unloading bays bar one that has room for a singe van, i realise they were not unloading at the time now i think back but taking up the painted bays, its specific to unloading not loading or general parking so is it for customers buying thing and putting them in a van, why have a van not a car, were the vans trade peoples doing repairs on the shops, they unload tools and materials so cant be that, now then the spoons lorry loaded up the cages full of cardboard thats allowed but not on yellow lines or a taxi rank.... how does this work.....  Wetherspoons were there before they introduced the restrictions...... theirfore they were delivering at the front then,  so they stopped that or tried too and they have been fining them ever since for doing so ,  could they not deliver before the shops open for instance with a few staff on duty.... would that be safe in a robbery situation... tomatoe saurce and mustard+ a few lemons and limes, frozen chips...... the warden wasnt helpful l "he cant park there at anytime"  so why does he not stop the parking at the back street and we can all line up and pass the salt from one person to the next till its received in the kitchen, and the coffee and so on  till the 6 ton load is all in the pantry., what about the beer and perseco how is that delivered.

#4 10.Aug.18 23:42:57

Woody

Weatherspoons are noted for there sensitive restoration of old buildings, Banks, Churches, Etc theses buildings were never made to service with delivery's  so a situation exist were money grabbing debt ridden Councils who use contractors to manage there parking will capitalise on any one who parks,

When the businesses move on and income drops no business rates job losses etc someone will wake up and smell the Coffee but by that time it will be to late,

I would if I could but I can't,

#5 12.Aug.18 13:19:02

ridge walker

One case i refered to was a delivery to Up Steps in Oldham about the time the cinema opened in the town Hall, i found a large delivery truck parked at the side on Greaves St on restricted parking bays  they were being booked by 2 wardens, they could not get any nearer to Up Steps and began to unload crates of craft ale onto a sack truck up to the handles then set off up  Yorkshire Street to deliver it, then up Lord Street into the market, where the delivery should have gone, must have got lost on the way, the other chap had to guard the truck, must be 200 yards and the front is up steps, fancy doing that and how many trips would he have to make, clearly he would have walked it first to tell them where he was parked and told how to drive there, it may have been far too big to get in, i think that at Shay Wake, how do they get wagons into the car park  loading bay from Beal Lane ?

#6 12.Aug.18 18:16:15

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

One case i refered to was a delivery to Up Steps in Oldham about the time the cinema opened in the town Hall, i found a large delivery truck parked at the side on Greaves St on restricted parking bays  they were being booked by 2 wardens, they could not get any nearer to Up Steps and began to unload crates of craft ale onto a sack truck up to the handles then set off up  Yorkshire Street to deliver it, then up Lord Street into the market, where the delivery should have gone, must have got lost on the way, the other chap had to guard the truck, must be 200 yards and the front is up steps, fancy doing that and how many trips would he have to make, clearly he would have walked it first to tell them where he was parked and told how to drive there, it may have been far too big to get in, i think that at Shay Wake, how do they get wagons into the car park  loading bay from Beal Lane ?

Turn first left go behind the Taxi rank and Spoons loading bay is opposite the gable of the end shop now belongs to Dovetale's Church,

I would if I could but I can't,

#7 Yesterday 07:40:40

ridge walker

Far too narrow for a wagon and the taxis park at the back entrance on the flats side, the car park is always occupied especially where the rails are on beal Lane where the raised loading platform is, theres gates to the beer garden and doors at the front with a ramp- maybe thats a way in for deliveries off peak but at lunchtime no way to operate a business, the car park serves the flats, other business and the taxi office as well as Shay Wake customers, the taxis also use the few parking spaces on Eastway opposite, and that section of road is busy with Yodal HGV wagons, often stopped at the traffic lights in multipul units, the deliveries are not made by a transit van, this area  and the crossroads at 4 lanes end is rediculas as a route to the warehouses, spoons is just one establishment that has seen there access made more difficult, maybe it was never good when they renovated it but its made the town a much better place and improved that corner, before it was dead  and deserted.

#8 Today 14:44:07

ridge walker

Dovetales Church building had its shutters up so the frontage was revealed and its done very nice, not paid much attention to it before but they have 2 units and its where Royton & Crompton over 50's meet up, the doors were locked but people were at the back doing exercises so did not want to ring the doorbell, from the end its very large, i would have asked if they had parking rights at the side up against the railings or if it was all public spaces.

#9 Today 14:44:39

ridge walker

Dovetales Church building had its shutters up so the frontage was revealed and its done very nice, not paid much attention to it before but they have 2 units and its where Royton & Crompton over 50's meet up, the doors were locked but people were at the back doing exercises so did not want to ring the doorbell, from the end its very large, i would have asked if they had parking rights at the side up against the railings or if it was all public spaces.

Board footer