No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 12.Sep.18 06:58:35

Philpot
Banned

Corporal Punishment

Interesting to note that a US school is proposing the return of Corporal Punishment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45490196

A good move I would suggest, .. which I would welcome over here.

#2 12.Sep.18 09:25:55

Barleycorn

Re: Corporal Punishment

Barbaric.

Teaching children that you get your own way with brute force, and that the will of the bigger/stronger prevails.

Those days are gone in our house - but if any school a child of mine attended introduced this, they would not have stepped foot inside again.

Totally the wrong message on all levels - and who, as part of their paid work, would accept "beat that child" as part of the job description?

Quite aside from the brutality that should have no place in a civilised society, I have noticed that most of the people who defend this type of 'discipline'  tend to declare "It never did me any harm", as they outline their plans/desire to brutalise small, defenceless children.   At that moment, they lose the argument.

File this madness alongside the contradictory wishes of the RW folk who want to reintroduce the birch, hanging, stocks etc to the UK.... but are quick to condemn the brutal nature of sharia law... 

Also in the news today. "Fresh call for smacking to be outlawed in the home"

More problematic in some ways, as it is the state telling people what happens at home, rather than what employees are required to do at work (seriously, who here would hit another person - let alone a minor -  as part of their working day!?!).   

Personally, I feel children need protection by law - sometimes even from their parents.

"The Association of Educational Psychologists has tabled a motion to the TUC Conference calling for physical punishment to be outlawed.

Presently, although corporal punishment is banned in schools, parents can "smack" or physically chastise a child as long as it is deemed "reasonable".

Psychologists say there are many better ways of teaching right from wrong.

Member of the AEP national executive committee, John Drewicz, will tell the conference in Manchester: "Smacking is harmful to a child's mental health, it models aggressive behaviour and it says to them that it is OK to use violence.""   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45 … nel=social

Note - if this was an attempt to get a rise out of the local lefty do-gooder, well done.  wink  wink

Last edited by Barleycorn (12.Sep.18 09:42:10)

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#3 12.Sep.18 11:08:01

exile

Sorry Barley but you are wrong there.

The number of uncontrollable children we meet in shops, restaurants and transport these days is unbelieveable.  No one suggests that a child should be beaten but a smart crack at the back of the legs or the back of their hand  re enforces the word NO which so many children apparently don’t understand these days. The very fact that a child knows you WILL do that makes it un nessesarily most of the time, that look you give says enough.

A for instance.  A few weeks back I was on duty in our Seawatch, a little girl about three years no more was playing in the room where the dressing up clothes are.  All the kids enjoy putting a jacket and helmet on and having a picture taken as a Lifeboat man.  This little girl didn’t want to take them off again and she screamed blue murder. The door was slammed and no amount of cajoling would make her leave the dressing up things behind.  So Mum took her into the shop and they bought some very expensive RNLI kit for her to exchange.  The pretend tears stopped and she smiled like sunshine. Now what has she learned from that ?  Throwing a tantrum will get her anything she wants.  Granny and grandpa looked appalled as did several other visitors.  What will she be like when she is thirteen and wants to go in a pub.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#4 12.Sep.18 12:42:58

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:

.. but are quick to condemn the brutal nature of sharia law...

But Sharia Law is the inflexible embodiment of the Divine Will to over a billion people Barleycorn... and you label it brutal ?

#5 12.Sep.18 13:41:34

Erin

"YOU CAN KNOCK THE DEVIL IN, YOU CANNOT KNOCK HIM OUT".  This was one of my Mum's sayings about bringing children up and I carried it out when my Son's were growing up.  Sometimes children bring you to the edge of despair but just as I knew that if I was told NO nothing would change the answer, so did my children.   A lot of children and babies are farmed out at a very early stage to nurseries and childminders so do not get enough time at home, parents perhaps feel they have to compensate by giving their children all they ask for. That does no-one any good. sad

#6 12.Sep.18 15:11:01

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

.. but are quick to condemn the brutal nature of sharia law...

But Sharia Law is the inflexible embodiment of the Divine Will to over a billion people Barleycorn... and you label it brutal ?

Well actually I didn't if you read my sentence properly.   But as I personally think any and all corporal punishment is brutal then, in that respect, yes it is.

#7 12.Sep.18 15:16:13

Barleycorn

exile wrote:

Sorry Barley but you are wrong there.

The number of uncontrollable children we meet in shops, restaurants and transport these days is unbelieveable.  No one suggests that a child should be beaten but a smart crack at the back of the legs or the back of their hand  re enforces the word NO which so many children apparently don’t understand these days. The very fact that a child knows you WILL do that makes it un nessesarily most of the time, that look you give says enough.

A for instance.  A few weeks back I was on duty in our Seawatch, a little girl about three years no more was playing in the room where the dressing up clothes are.  All the kids enjoy putting a jacket and helmet on and having a picture taken as a Lifeboat man.  This little girl didn’t want to take them off again and she screamed blue murder. The door was slammed and no amount of cajoling would make her leave the dressing up things behind.  So Mum took her into the shop and they bought some very expensive RNLI kit for her to exchange.  The pretend tears stopped and she smiled like sunshine. Now what has she learned from that ?  Throwing a tantrum will get her anything she wants.  Granny and grandpa looked appalled as did several other visitors.  What will she be like when she is thirteen and wants to go in a pub.

All sounds grim - but nothing good, stern, fair parenting couldn't and shouldn't solve.  Pacifying a tantrum with a treat is bad parenting.   But so is beating a child.

I simply don't accept hitting a child is effective.  Short term compliance perhaps, but at what cost later in life? 

Also, In my initial reply to Philpot I tried to distinguish between parental duties and paid work - neither should involve violence, imo - but I do accept that occasional smacking at home is not the same as being paid to hit a child - which is what the headline represents.

None of my extended family (me, my kids, assorted siblings, cousins etc) were, to my knowledge, hit by adults...   none of us are perfect - but we are respectful and don't have public tantrums.

Last edited by Barleycorn (12.Sep.18 15:19:24)

#8 12.Sep.18 18:07:11

Tabbycat

Just a quick one here if I may join in from my hospital bed.  Has anyone thought about how a large 10 year old would be restrained long enough for this corporal punishment to be enforced?  Or would it turn into a battle with teacher/ parent before being forcibly held down?

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#9 12.Sep.18 18:17:38

crackerbarrel

Like most people my age I was subjected to the usual punishments at junior school,- caning & the strap & usually for talking when I shouldn't  smile  - however I'm with BC on this one I don't agree with any physical punishment of young children. I understand the frustration that exiles example will have caused but as BC says that's down to bad parenting & they should have said No firmly & stuck to it - if the child persisted in having a tantrum they should have forcibly removed her & taken her back to their car or home - the last thing they should have done was reward her bad behaviour just to get her to shut up, no matter how tempting- they've made a rod for their own back I'm afraid.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#10 12.Sep.18 18:35:49

Woody

Interesting to note while I do not condone hitting children,

Since punishment in schools ceased Children's behaviour has deteriorated to a point were some are out of control,

One child I have heard of through friends regularly tells his mum were to go four lettered and gets no punishment he is just starting senior school.

I would if I could but I can't,

#11 12.Sep.18 20:16:40

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:

but we are respectful and don't have public tantrums.

But you do have cyber tantrums online Barleycorn  wink

#12 13.Sep.18 14:53:22

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

but we are respectful and don't have public tantrums.

But you do have cyber tantrums online Barleycorn  wink

hmmm.

I've never been banned from anywhere though - virtual or in person  wink  wink  wink  wink    cool

#13 13.Sep.18 15:12:30

exile

Barley said:-
I've never been banned from anywhere though

Oh come on Barley you have never lived if you haven’t been chucked out of somewhere. I got shown the door at Rochdale Football Club once because I wouldn’t wear a tie.   lol

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#14 13.Sep.18 18:01:58

Philpot
Banned

exile wrote:

Oh come on Barley you have never lived if you haven’t been chucked out of somewhere. I got shown the door at Rochdale Football Club once because I wouldn’t wear a tie.   lol

Banning people from forums such as this is indeed a form of online tantrum... !!

#15 13.Sep.18 19:15:11

Barleycorn

exile wrote:

hahaha - chucked out is different!  A few pubs back in the day...  but its being let back in that counts.

Last edited by Barleycorn (13.Sep.18 19:15:44)

#16 13.Sep.18 19:16:40

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
exile wrote:

Banning people from forums such as this is indeed a form of online tantrum... !!

Well that is beyond my gift.   I have never banned anyone from anything or anywhere.

Board footer