Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#351 01.Aug.18 17:14:14

ridge walker

Re: Round and about.

No Erin, i did intend to go into Middleton and that on the route, i went into Royton instead and came across the works, may have been started the day before as it was early just after nine.  As for Streetbridge due to the removeal of the work compound and offices for the UU project very little is going on that i can witness, as a result  other issues have caught my attention local to my area, however thanks for the tip i will follow this up , i appreciate you only have a few seconds to read the signs and any dates on them etc and who put them out, strangely there has been diversion signs for several weeks up Burnley Lane and on Broadway but not used Streetbridge in the car for a month.

When the diversion signs appeared, one was placed on the pavement just before Netherhey Lane, it was new on a metal stand unlike those  UU put out, it completely blocked the view of traffic coming up from Elk Mill traffic lights where 2 lanes reduce to one, it was idiotic as walkers had to skirt around it making it even more difficult to exit the lane- its an accident black spot that junction, its intended to stop traffic turning left so they dont put the signs higher up or lower down but on the corner its barmy, i digress but if they close the road again its only a small inconveniance, we can find  find our way home again, some end up in Oldham, thats like hell on earth these days  with the bridge works on the bypass.  ha ha... must not joke about it... its closed for my business anyway.

#352 01.Aug.18 18:31:19

Woody

Sign at the side of AC Aerials Shaw Road Highbarn Street closed from the 6th August for Two Weeks for resurfacing works,

No idea if its all the way down to Royton,

Last edited by Woody (02.Aug.18 12:04:34)

I would if I could but I can't,

#353 02.Aug.18 08:02:24

ridge walker

Not aware the roads that bad, Shaw has had a lot of work done recently, Middleton Road from Lea View down to Streetbridge is in tatters now, not potholed just stripped off surfacing, is High Barn worse than others in the town and if there are could we do them first, out of turn of the planned schedule,  Tandle Hill  Road is very bad yet they resufaced the side roads and left it not long ago.

#354 02.Aug.18 10:19:33

ridge walker

Erin, Streetbridge will be closed between Monday 6th August till Friday the 10th, the work will not include any digging, its  for UU to install the fibre optic cables they need to control their new control equipment, the conduit pipe are already installed for the cables but they need to lift all the manhole covers under the road, i spoke to the men this morning about it, all the signage has been put out by the main contractor Black and Veitch, the one on Broadway has now been removed, as the first warning sign is located at the bottom of Middleton Road and there may be others nearer the town centre i'm not aware off you can make your own arrangements using Holden Fold Lane to  Broadway to reach Burnley Lane, busses will be diverted as before through Royley.

#355 02.Aug.18 10:36:12

Erin

Thank you Ridge, more misery for a lot of people. sad

#356 03.Aug.18 19:41:45

ridge walker

It could be this work was planned for the school holidays for least disruption but add up all these closures and they mount up, we seem to be becalmed in an ocean off unfinished work just now, i rarely see any workmen now.  Hosepipe ban cancelled as its not necessary after a few showers so why all the commotion about getting supplies from the Lake District and all those images of cracked mud in the reservoirs and empty Ullswater.

I intended to hose my wheely bins out after they were emptied this afternoon, i do this in the street near a grid where i can pour away the dirty water before adding disinfectant, i use a 30mtr hose connected to a garden tap without the need to use a power washer as i use a long brush to scrub them out, the point is i have neighbours who use the Wheely Clean service that follows the wagons in a van, they tip all their bins up and power wash the insides and all the water and sticky residues goes on the road then a blast on the outsides with the lance and a dollop of pink, if they can do that and we have to use the road it was a nonsense for me to have a ban, ok they use water from a tank in the van for 100 gallons i would think enough for an afternoons work, then we have the window cleaners with their buckets, ultra economical users of dirty water, it leaves my window cills filthy, i have to wipe down after there gone using clean warm soapy (fairy) water in another bucket and a clean cloth and a spray bottle of Mr Muscle multi-task window, just shows how careful i am when a third of my bedding plants have all died, i took the remains out yesterday and hoed the ground and gave it a good  clean up (soaking) i'm in the clear they were in the back garden- no one was watching  as i carried the watering can backwards and forwards all evening, i bet your all doing the same tonight doing your bit, well done.

#357 03.Aug.18 20:16:00

Erin

I find it slightly puzzling that the hose-pipe ban has been lifted soon after there was a hue and cry about the dividends  paid out to the UU shareholders recently!!!  Especially as we haven't had any significant rainfall.

#358 06.Aug.18 20:17:57

ridge walker

Another stirling day at the office, yes even on a bank holiday, up at dawn making arrangements, today was mowing day at the pond, i had left due to fatigue and sever pains, had to do a repair to a padlock but taken in my stride, done by noon completly shattered and all the packing away to do, oiling and cleaning and sharpening of blades, then i had more trimming in the afternoon while i was still standing, needed a ltr of water to get me running,  yesterday workmen had strimmed a footpath and made a right racket, of coarse it was difficult after a no show for 2-3 years, i had been clearing my way through it the week before so much of it was passable, what with the thorns and the deadly hog weed whose sap blisters the skin like sulphuric acid, then the balsam, the willow herb and the thistles- seed was everywhere, the blackberry's were all heavy with fruit, the brambles can grow 6 inches a day and can snare anything getting too near, you get torn to shreds unless you wear chain mail,  full face protection and a steel helmet,  well you cant just leave it as they left it can you, a quick job is not enough, the idea was to regain about 4 feet on the paths width not just snip off the long bits and leave a gap only twiggy could get through, trouble is they cant drive their truck along it and without a cab to sit in their out of their comfort zone, carrying stuff 300 yards back to it is hard work without a  dumper truck or a wheelbarrow, i know its not easy, anyway you cant complain you just have to get on with it, i do it for  fun, oh joy, thinking of others as i dont actually do walks, i go on safari's and  do patrols, keeping clear lines of sight and keeping communications open so supplies can get through, and the ammo, you know i have a dream, one day it will be better.

#359 06.Aug.18 20:58:18

Tabbycat

Ridge, what sort of severe pains have you been having? yikes Please take it easy and put your feet up a bit more. These jobs will still be there when we're not.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#360 06.Aug.18 21:02:04

Erin

Ridge there must have been a change of plans Streetbridge was fully open today.  We were going up Chadderton Park Road on our way to Broadway when we saw traffic going down towards to Streetbridge so we did the same.  Wonder which route will be open tomorrow??

#361 06.Aug.18 22:05:12

Tabbycat

Ridge do you know anything about the removal of the long line of trees along Shaw Street to facilitate the housing development on the derelict site on the other side?

#362 07.Aug.18 08:30:38

exile

Ridge, I am with Tabby, don’t over do this landscaping when you are having an off day.  Those weeds and brambles will out live us all there is no use fighting a battle you can’t win.   smile

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#363 07.Aug.18 12:33:08

crackerbarrel

Definitely Ridge - don't overdo things - it's so easy to do & as we get older takes longer to recover.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#364 07.Aug.18 16:49:50

ridge walker

Thank you for those comments, i do go on dont i, i do make light of some of it, i forgot about the nettles.    Had a day off today and took the long way to Middleton, along Chadderton Hall Road there was long delays as temporary traffic lights were set up at the parks entrance opposite Chadderton Park Road, it could be associated with this cable work, on the way back i was in standing traffic from Haigh Lane and yes traffic was turning left at St Mathews into  Mill Brow for Streetbridge, i wondered why i carried on up Burnley Lane to go over the roundabout at Elk Mill and up Broadway, as i looked across i noticed there was no signs at the church saying the road was closed, i was half hoping traffic was being turned back at Cragg Road and i was the clever one.

With the entire length of the park being solidly parked up along the curb it was stupid to put put lights on as well, there on holiday so the parks very busy, 10 times more than on school days, they must start from somewhere to get to Streetbridge so overlooked that fact,  and could not possible close that as well past North Chadd'  May be closed on Wednesday then, i will strangle the guy who had the signs made and put them out but i must learn to relax and take it easy, i will try i'm slowing down, its all this traffic at a standstill i think, got to be carefull in this heat- roll on the thunderstorms but its a lot cooler, Poor Cracker  avoid the smoke gets in your eyes, cant be easy to come home early if there no flights out.

#365 08.Aug.18 13:33:54

ridge walker

#361 from Tabby on the 6th, this really sounded like great news, was building work actually taking place on Edge Lane St from Shaw Street, its not my usual route to anywhere, its a rabbit warren with a green space in the middle, its landscaped with  old trees and the derelect adjoining mill site has a wide strip of trees screening it off that are not disturbed. 

I drove in at Oldham Road, parked at Dryclough and took a walk round, tried to catch the attention of residents behind brick walls -jumped up and down waving, carried on and drove out on High Barn,  found nothing but old  work on a grass verge, i did not enter  Hartington that runs up to Shaw Road, and is higher up than the  Parkside ind' estate, however this could be something of importance, i need more information and i will return, i enjoyed looking round as its out of the way and has the feeling its not part of Royton as its got charm, not all the rumours can be true, it even has several car parks and many 'walks' for the flats.

As for Woodys report #352 on the 1st about the resurfacing i note Shaw Road end has been completely redone recently between the traffic lights & white lined,  what surprises will i find up High Barn Road when i can get through all this traffic.  Its good not to be effected by this work and just find them completed, go on holiday and come back and not recognise the place you left a few weeks before, wouldnt that be nice....

#366 08.Aug.18 19:38:32

Tabbycat

Thanks for checking up on it, Ridge. I didn't think there was any reason to cut the trees down because they are on the other side of the development. Nothing to do with it in fact, but you and I both know what Oldham council is like sad

#367 08.Aug.18 21:21:08

ridge walker

I am still not sure what this is about, i want to see these trees or their remains and why they were felled- i take it this is the case or you would not have asked, untill i know the reason for sure, its speculation what it may be for, it will be interesting to find out  and not get excited its for something else, i may stumble on but if you can tell me where you saw this from it will help, was Shaw street the right area and i missed it, my intention is to look from Star brew bridge and work back, you dont need to tell me why you were on Shaw Street, but i think i covered most of it, it may be the council preparing a site clearance and they dont announce the fact as we know.

#368 09.Aug.18 12:53:47

Erin

I saw on one of the facebook pages that some trees were being felled on Radcliffe St., I think it must be near to where the police station was from the photo shown.

#369 09.Aug.18 14:50:58

ridge walker

Goodness,i now have the gist of this and i'm in shock, with everything theres a story, i dropped everything and went again to investigate and as planned i took a look from Shaw Road as i know there are trees there, Edge Lane Street has had its road surface planed off for resurfacing and it in a right old state, no trees in the area have been felled so i entered Shaw Street again and patrolled all the bits i missed last time, i made enquiries no body knew of anything or heard machinary so i gave up and went back to the car, i then went over what i had been told..... then one of those moments struck me, like conkers falling from the Horse Chestnuts in the precinct car park bouncing off car roofs and bonnets, it hit me, it was in front of me all the time, i had dismissed it and disregarded the evidence before me.

On Shaw Street from High Barn theres a tree lined verge and in front of these is a thick shrubbery, in recent times an agricultural tractor with a flail attachment has gone along the verge and cut these shubs back by 1 yard from the curb, its all very roughly done and looks terrible and needs hand finishing with loppers, a large fallen tree that had fallen into the road had been sawed through to clear the top leaving the stump and the roots in place, have you mistaken this work as the line of trees felled for a development, nothing of the sort has happened and no development is taking place, please say yes tabby.

Now this brings me to the trees on Radcliffe Street, and lets not call it the police station site as it isnt, when i refered to this on another topic quite recently i had reviewed the Wiggett building plans again, no where on the submitted documents refered to any affected trees, the box was marked non from memory, on the site which is odd as this must be declared, there are several large trees growing on the part that adjoins Park Street, under these trees was a footpath that cut across the corner and a memorial bench for Jacks brother, on the house plots no trees are shown or in the gardens, they have been cut down without any referance to them- i have been told this but not actually seen it for myself having been there very recently, as i stated the PA has still not been decided as off that date.

High Barn Street is closed off from the mini roundabout at Milton St and a diversion takes Edge Lane Street for all traffic, 2MPH and above will invite chips and dents, broken windscreens and suspensions, again i cannot witness the work so thats something for later.  As for the closure of Streetbridge, i have no news on this so cant confirm anything.

#370 09.Aug.18 14:57:51

Tabbycat

I wonder if that was what I heard about Ridge? It was a random comment on Facebook to say that trees on Shaw Street were to be cut down. I would never be able to find it again but thank you for going round and asking. That is beyond the call of duty. We can relax now smile

Last edited by Tabbycat (09.Aug.18 14:58:26)

#371 09.Aug.18 16:43:26

ridge walker

Now this opens it up again, are trees to be taken down in the near future and this trimming is a pre-curcer to that and a future development, we can disregard the respite care home sale.   This brings me back to the huge cost involved in reclaiming an old mill site for redevelopment and the high tax that they have to pay, it explains why Wigget stayed clear when they developed John Hogan Close, the remaining land had large stone block foundations that were later dug out then back filled, which will need piling later on or single story buildings put on it,  the Abbatoir site has stood vacant for  many years and i know modern building methods can overcome these difficulties, it long overdue.

Down at the Dog and Partridge the depth of the foundation trenches are about 8 ft deep, two workmen were working at the bottom well below the surface with no protective shuttering, their searching for something possibly a sewer, the pub must stand on an even older building or buildings that had cellers, i would think the entire frontage of the Vine mill had terraced cottages their once and later became a car park, and all the land to Union Street and towards Hall Street.

Yesterday on my off day, the council environmental services team returned to clear the path running up to the pond, its concrete on rising land with several flights of steps, this was done when they began to give assistance  and take it back a foot from its edge, with hand shears i cut to the edge, my strimmer cannot trim tough vegitation but they can, up to 1 inch diameter, they even cut back sections of woody stuff which i have taken away, it needs finishing  to dress it off, even so this is a good effort, as i had been snipping away for the last week and all that work has been wasted, why dont they inform me there coming and i will make the tea or something, just give me a call or send me a callender for the dates they hope to pay another visit, when i'm satisfied they can carry on maintaining the same standard of work, they still get the tea and a biscuit.

#372 10.Aug.18 12:38:14

ridge walker

If anyone has a problem with there roadside grids being blocked, today mine was cleared by the council, they were doing my road and i waited for them as each one was pumped out and washed out, some were parked over so they were missed,  the driver stayed in the cab as i talked to the operater about this and how they work, and which grids take most of the water and those which get bypassed and have never worked,i know if a problem is reported they try to fit this in and deal with later, and then find they cannot get access due to parking, however the driver had further information i never knew existed ;

In the cab he has a tablet and on this every grid is marked, as each is cleaned out its marked, and if its missed out it again marked as such and another team come back to deal with it, there are only two vehicles doing this work in the entire borough, the point is there noted and on the system they dont need reporting, in my case something else was discovered, two of my grids at the end of the cul de sac were not even marked as being there and dont exist on their mapping, one takes all the water that runs down the steep road and must be kept free of any obstruction, the other is to high and has never accepted water, the driver made a report about this on his pad and this too will go to highways for resetting in the road surface and any work to make it operational.

Further during the cleaning with water the operator knows if the drain is clear, if its blocked the water flow back and floods the road, the driver then assist to sweep the muck away while the other works the blockage free with the pump, when this fails it goes on the list for attention, its not been 50 years without any attention it always done  but these two are not shown so the report is essential on recording the problem, the reason being repair team attend and there not on the system as its not marked, thats why the location is all important, give them a chance to find it, marked or otherwise, if i  was not so vigilent these error would continue for another 50 years, how is anyone supposed to know they have an application on a tablet these days,  i may become redundent if this carries on.

#373 10.Aug.18 12:54:25

Tony

Sleep safe Ridge you will not be replaced by an App for a while yet big_smile

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#374 10.Aug.18 13:09:31

ridge walker

I drove though Streetbridge this morning, it was open, all the signs were gone, was it ever closed this week ?  A fellow in a tracked digger at the Irk bridge and others were there doing something but could not stop, the new grass seeding at the school is really green and lush now, while every garden is brown, hope this rain does some good, the rain in Spain is in flood thats not fair is it.

#375 10.Aug.18 15:19:33

ridge walker

Yorkshire Bank premises on the precinct, notice for alcohol licence and for music applied for, dated 28th July from JL Royton Ltd.

The Byron street sites have all been secured with tall timber posts concreted in position  then wire fencing bolted to them, on the Mc Quillans site its been boarded up and freshly gloss painted white with a heavy steel gateway for a work compound,  the trees have been removed.

At the pub on Middleton Road (D&P) concrete has been poured for the foundations, the fill level is 3 ft below the surface, 2 mixer lorries made the delivery.

#376 10.Aug.18 20:14:51

chatterbox

ridge walker wrote:

I drove though Streetbridge this morning, it was open, all the signs were gone, was it ever closed this week ?  .

I've been up and down a few times this week and the road wasn't ever closed but there has been men working at various grids and they seem to be pulling cables through.
The signs never said the road was going to be closed just that some work would be done. 

Are there any plans to sort out the road surface on Middleton road as you turn left off our estate toward the Horton Arms pub it is so in need of some attention.

#377 11.Aug.18 16:00:19

ridge walker

Its is bad and a result of the tar and chippings method, there has been a lot of road washing by machine due to the mud coming off the truck movements during the work on the WWTW, losing the top surface looks dreadfull but it still meets the criteria as a suitable condition i would think, however in winter  because the surface is not sealed it will break up in frosty weather and if salts applied, it could be mild and give them more time.

I recorded the signs but not downloaded the images yet, if the cables were seen being put in then its done, they did say 3 days would do it  from the manholes, and they said closure not under temporary traffic lights or with care as the manholes were in the road with the trunking already in situ, they did not say during the installation of the sewer pipe or the gas pipe, so no digging was required, its a black art how it will power up the site and be automated by remote control.

#378 11.Aug.18 20:29:44

ridge walker

Correct chattersbox- the sign said   ADVANCE WARNING

United Utillities Project
                                                       Ref 80030122
                                               Oris project Utilities Works
                                                  On Streetbridge Road
                                      From 6th August to 10th August  2018

Businesses Open as Useual
                                             Thank You For Your Patiance

No mention of a road closure, that came from the workmen who were parked close by with 2 vans, they told me what the work was, i quickly took the photo as they were leaving....... What was the sign for and what was it telling us a week before whatever it was started,   no contact tel No included no mention of cable laying or disruption or delay expected, diversions or men working, we just had 18 months of work on this section of road to guess what it may be, all of it closed the road, only the gas main renewal kept the road open while work progressed, was access for residents available,  the sign was mis-spelt (projcet - twice)  was it 24 hours a day or just for daytime 9-5, weather permitting or  subject to any unexpected emergency they may come across, what was i supposed to make of it- Tony had to get to work, Erin was going shopping, the world does not stop because someone puts a sign up does it.  mad

#379 12.Aug.18 07:55:07

ridge walker

By coincidence while in Royton precinct yesterday i met an ex water worker who lets out a property to a group of workers engaged on this project, they worked for Fallons the civil engineering company, i asked him about Streetbridge and did he know anything, he was aware of it but said all the Fallons workers had now returned home  and the work is now in the hands of another company installing equipment but that would include any others like the cable layers, as i had spoken to  Fallon workers wearing Fallon clothing and noticing the lower access road was closed off with the steel barrier i assumed they had just met up there before leaving for work, they may have been leaving for Ireland, untill recently all signage had been put out by Fallons and on the diversion routes, however the new signs are all brand new and placed by the main contractor Black & Veitch not OMBC,  this was explained due to the obstruction on Broadway that blocked the pavement and shut off sight lines of approaching traffic.   Black & Veitch are management, they dont have ground workers, they oversee other companies- the sub-contractors and at times muck in with them across the two sites here and at Chadderton.   As they are now based inside the enclosed upper site i dont see much of them now or had any news for several months.

#380 12.Aug.18 20:57:40

chatterbox

ridge walker wrote:

Its is bad and a result of the tar and chippings method, there has been a lot of road washing by machine due to the mud coming off the truck movements during the work on the WWTW, losing the top surface looks dreadfull but it still meets the criteria as a suitable condition i would think, however in winter  because the surface is not sealed it will break up in frosty weather and if salts applied, it could be mild and give them more time.

Thanks Ridge smile

Ridge I was referring to the road well before where the wagons etc have been. It starts just after the shops and all down hill to the speed camara.

#381 13.Aug.18 08:19:34

ridge walker

It does Chatters and  its become more double parked on both sides over the years, plus the shops parking and that on the entrance to Lea View is getting very bad and used as a bus route that turns the corner there, the sight lines onto Middleton road is shocking and now were getting vehicle being parked opposite the T junction often with FOR SALE signs on the windows, what with Royley House parking and the Butty shop its attracting very large vehicles like the bin wagons parking at the curb, i dont think its acceptable and cant be allowed to become an even bigger problem, we cant ignor these  problems and the road surface is just one of them, they all need attention and spend less time on the rights of businesses and what rights we have, bound to stir up objections just asking for it to be looked at.

#382 16.Aug.18 09:02:20

ridge walker

Puffin, yes a puffin is being looked at in the next spending review next year for the Rochdale Road crossing point, there been a change of mind if its suitable or not, we could include it in the Town Hall renovation work which may be decided by then, and theres no truth in the rumour they intend to brick up the front entrance and build a new one at the back, they may just keep the doors locked due to the steps, the police will use the side door as a sally port to deal with any trouble on market day if an adult is available to take them across the road, if they move the crossing in that direction they wont need to leap over the railings to the Pound Shop, we should find out more in 8 weeks time what they propose to do.   Who are JL Royton Ltd ?

#383 16.Aug.18 09:16:14

Tony

Also Ridge certain traffic lights in the borough are being updated to traffic sensing types, one will link to nearby junctions to move traffic along quicker the other type will be used at stand alone junctions which will sense which direction there is more queuing traffic and give priority accordingly.

Last edited by Tony (16.Aug.18 12:52:55)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#384 16.Aug.18 16:44:31

ridge walker

Now thats a very good idea, i was stopped at the lights on  St Marys Gate in Rochdale wishing to turn right onto John Street at the Church, it was taking a long time as John Street was having Road works so the lights only allowed one car at a time to turn, it was so quick to turn back to red any hesitation on the green and you could not make it,  even then if one car made it he was halted by standing traffic alongside the church, it should prioritise the longest queue of waiting traffic, in Royton it gives pedestrians the priority- work that out, take the crossing point for instance, the Puffin lights will be phased with the Railway so they both will be on green together right, well NO they will both be on red together at rush hour, no one can turn right on a green light either, i can predict the timings will be changed and  pedestrians will stop the traffic flowing smoothly by pushing buttons, there will be no measures to control them just the traffic, no sensors on the pavement just on the road. WHY !  Whats wrong with a system that only allows pedestrians to cross the road in double numbers instead of one at a time,  and cars 10 at a time with a RH filter phase for 3-4.

#385 21.Aug.18 12:31:59

ridge walker

As i refered to earlier, following the community forum in July  where i submitted a number of questions, i reported what had been done since and as others were attended to i would update you, it goes without saying what has been done and i can report on another that has been successful, this question regarded land at Haggate Crescent, this was cleared 2 weeks ago removing the fly tipped material and the area scraped clean of tall weeds, then a new steel fence built with two gateways added, to reinforce this a second defence of wire mesh panels were added to the first.

I learn the land was cleared to allow a full survey of the area, and a ramp built down from Highlands as a new access onto an unmade road for large vehicles, that the car park adjoining the site outside the fencing is in fact owned by the land owner and the row of shops only have 2 metres to store trade waste bins,  this car park will have a bungerlow built on it, the land itself will have 30 x 2 storey homes not flats or apartments in an enclosed community that numbered 23 off when planning was first applied for, work is due to start next month, its been vacant for 40 + years possible 100 when it was farmland, now thats some record we can do without.

This is again is very good news and ticks another box for the committee and its chairman so maybe sleepy hollow is waking up, were seeing results and that should be known about, the works not finished yet,  theres much more across the 2 wards  (Nth & Sth) on other matters so getting those addressed is far better than doing the book keeping, its action that counts and where support comes from.

On Leanards Way off Salmon Fields the extended road has been completed with a vast swathe of new tree planting along its wide verges, no development is taking place its a cul de sac ending with a hammer head, it appears as work to invite new investment in this area and the plans seen earlier were just for example how it could grow into, it puts OMBC in the frame as its caused much concern how it was conducted and the alarm it generated, what ever the justification it has to be explained first and only then will support be given.

Recently i witnessed the flower baskets on the railings  on High St in Shaw being watered, they looked fantastic compared the Royton along Rochdale Road, as you may know the tubs have a water reservoir but the main secret is the adding of Osmacote to the compost that gives a seasons  feed, you may use the round pellets in your baskets made up of dozens of tiny balls, but you can buy them loose @ £5 a bag, my hanging baskets have been hammered by the rain and i need to trim them back now,  however Roytons tubs are now just as good as Shaws and as fresh as daisys and they also had the same hammering, theres magic here so why are we failing in other areas, its not money more off the radar, were not even close in the presentation stakes, these omissions are noticed, however we have to improve.

#386 21.Aug.18 19:46:53

Woody

Passed Holy Estate this afternoon the hosing development has commenced they are a timber framed construction with brick exteriors,

#387 22.Aug.18 10:17:32

ridge walker

It does look promicing  what that area may become, not too bothered with the timber frames as they can look rather splended when finished clad in brick and tile with gardens and a parking space off road, if its a quicker build method and at lower cost i'm for it, i would think whoever lives their will have a  splended location, who they are is secondary, we will have to wait and see when they move in.

I am wondering now why Park House now seems to be abandoned after recent works indicated Serco were redeloping the complex, thats not happening at present and without windows it will soon be worse than before,  is it all out of our hands to intervene and know what the owners want to do with it and why work has stopped.

#388 26.Aug.18 09:24:43

ridge walker

A week ago the work on Streetbridge saw top soil being delivered, the two sites had been leveled and cleared but had been left unfinished so the arrival of the brown sifted top soil which may have come from as far away as Cheshire indicates grass seeding will follow shortley, at Buckley Wood and the bridge it looks like grey dirt but this latest delivery is beautiful stuff even if it will only be a thin layer or a few inches, shame if its later left unkept and allowed to turn into a weedy state of nettles and rose bay willow herb as it will.

Oposite on the hillside below Burnley Lane they allowed the grass to grow unchecked, the planting of shrubs in large islands turned the area into an untidy appearance and the openess was lost, they then mowed a few metres around the edges as a way to reduce its maintenance cost across the borough, now they are mowing a far greater portion up to the planting for better effect, as with the wild flower trials which failed their isnt a saving to be made only a more efficient service to reduce costs, taking land out of use is the wrong thing to do in fact, look at tangs today and its near abandonment despite all the investment its seen,  its more a problem now than before it became a Country Park, are you more happy with it today than the 1970's, i know you still enjoy it but has it improved ?

#389 11.Sep.18 16:05:48

ridge walker

This morning at Birchinlee on Middleton road there is a large green space that fronts the road, workmen were test boring the area up to the road at the back, this could be prepartary work for redevelopment by First Choice Homes similar to the Holly Estate, i dont know why it was kept open or if it had ruins underneath the surface as this area has open greenery infront of the housing being open plan and shared use rear spaces for hanging washing out and a communial car park, its all cut and mowed by the council but not for ball games, this area is serviced by two bus stops so may be ideal for similar flats.

At Streetbridge at Buckley Wood, the disturbed land for the pipeline was top soiled, the rear section was with spoil from the excavations which was black, while the front was surfaced with the imported brown soil, the black area was completely covered in young balsam plants from the weeds growing there, on my return i spotted the vehicle of the landscapers park up and the weeds were being strimmed, no bad thing as thats the way to catch the blighters when their young not when their 2 metres tall and in flower, it clearly shows how quickly the seed can germinate after they explode from the pods, they must be ready to apply the grass seed, as experts using weed killer was not an option, with this rain not the best time to strim but it looked ok and not muddy to walk on, in a way sowing the grass earlier would have been  unfortunate, i cant see this land now being built on yet before the pipe arrived that was intended and two new brick entrance pillers were built next to the bridge over the river Irk, years ago (40) there was a row of terraced cottages here, and there was a PH at the water works end below the steep hill.

#390 11.Sep.18 16:32:17

Barleycorn

Ridge - you should compile your daily / weekly observations. 

A lovely record of transient events and a developing townscape.

Much appreciated.  smile smile

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#391 11.Sep.18 16:34:56

Erin

Ridge my OH says he seems to remember terraced houses on Middleton Road in between the old style semi block and lower down near to the bus stop the block of four or five terraced.  He thinks that would be in the early 50's.  Middleton Road had rows and rows of terraced houses all the way up from Stotfield to the centre of Royton when I came to live here in the early 60's.  I saw those two men working on the open space this morning and I wondered what they were up to. Thank you for letting me know.  smile

Last edited by Erin (11.Sep.18 16:39:03)

#392 11.Sep.18 16:37:44

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

This morning at Birchinlee on Middleton road there is a large green space that fronts the road, workmen were test boring the area up to the road at the back, this could be prepartary work for redevelopment by First Choice Homes similar to the Holly Estate, i dont know why it was kept open or if it had ruins underneath the surface as this area has open greenery infront of the housing being open plan and shared use rear spaces for hanging washing out and a communial car park, its all cut and mowed by the council but not for ball games, this area is serviced by two bus stops so may be ideal for similar flats.

At Streetbridge at Buckley Wood, the disturbed land for the pipeline was top soiled, the rear section was with spoil from the excavations which was black, while the front was surfaced with the imported brown soil, the black area was completely covered in young balsam plants from the weeds growing there, on my return i spotted the vehicle of the landscapers park up and the weeds were being strimmed, no bad thing as thats the way to catch the blighters when their young not when their 2 metres tall and in flower, it clearly shows how quickly the seed can germinate after they explode from the pods, they must be ready to apply the grass seed, as experts using weed killer was not an option, with this rain not the best time to strim but it looked ok and not muddy to walk on, in a way sowing the grass earlier would have been  unfortunate, i cant see this land now being built on yet before the pipe arrived that was intended and two new brick entrance pillers were built next to the bridge over the river Irk, years ago (40) there was a row of terraced cottages here, and there was a PH at the water works end below the steep hill.

The Black soil could be that excavated from the incoming Settlement Tanks very fertile (Humus),

Usually you get a proliferation of Tomatoes the following year they would look good on the grass verge,  ops   monkey

Last edited by Woody (11.Sep.18 16:39:01)

#393 12.Sep.18 07:53:05

ridge walker

Nice idea Woody but it was spoil, as the deep trench was dug, and here it was the deepest at 4 metres the spoil was dumped at the back of the site, i remember the cottages being there and the remains of dry stone walls still exist there as the land rises up, of course they dumped all there materials and equipment on top of it to give working space for the tracked excavators and storage of the large pipe sections.   This pipe would surely prevent developement of the site as there are surface manholes with large concrete surrounds there now and at the other river crossing where it joins Middleton Road where housing is being built.

The remnant walls here have now been removed for heavier concrete blocks, but at this spot the old cottages were all connected to the Bleach industry that flourished here and along the valley into Middleton  as it had a natural water supply,   I think Ian our Royton born local historian would know more about this but he had serious  health problems and no longer posts, a great source of information before FS intervened.     My thanks to Barley, Erin and Woody , much appeciated.

#394 19.Sep.18 15:51:52

Barleycorn

Heading to the Horton at some point in the next  week - will take a peep at the works ridge has been outlining so well over many months.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#395 21.Sep.18 09:44:06

ridge walker

Just to add, after the strimming the cuttings must have been blown aside with their leaf blower machines, as it was left clean, later trips did not show signs of grass seed sprouting or new weeds showing and it has been warm and very wet, it may not have been done, its a good time to sow in late summer/early Autumn with a cut off by mid October if the weather is mild.

My lawns have recovered from the hot summer now, and the brown Middleton roundabouts are all green again and they were not re-seeded, they too are again being mown, look at Clayton PF, green as anything and football matches in full swing, but they get a lot of attention during the summer with top dressing & seeding in worn areas.  although i have had the heating on its only been for 1 hour, and even in the car i still use cold air to vent' the windscreen on air con.

#396 26.Sep.18 07:59:37

ridge walker

The grass seed on those 2 sites are showing through very well now, with a good green effect in just  the last week.

Board footer