Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 03.Oct.18 19:06:25

Rebel

Town Hall ? Whats the craic ?

A few years ago we had a big Political statement about Royton getting a massive investment £2.5 million .   ,but the small print was , over ten years .  What a big joke  .
Library shifted into semi derelict run down Town Hall that was getting a refurb .  Well £2.5 million over ten years wont go very far . Since then   Silence untill the other day who should pop up but the Council Leader and the Mayor of Greater Manchester proclaiming major invrstment for Royton .    Stood outside the Town Hall for photo ops .     Is this a seperate investment or the same measly investment of a few years ago ?   .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#2 03.Oct.18 19:24:45

Erin

Re: Town Hall ? Whats the craic ?

I would be very surprised if this was separate to the original investment Rebel.

#3 03.Oct.18 19:29:08

Woody

Rebel wrote:

A few years ago we had a big Political statement about Royton getting a massive investment £2.5 million .   ,but the small print was , over ten years .  What a big joke  .
Library shifted into semi derelict run down Town Hall that was getting a refurb .  Well £2.5 million over ten years wont go very far . Since then   Silence untill the other day who should pop up but the Council Leader and the Mayor of Greater Manchester proclaiming major invrstment for Royton .    Stood outside the Town Hall for photo ops .     Is this a seperate investment or the same measly investment of a few years ago ?   .

Don't get exited they did all this when Morrisons were coming you have more chance of getting Wells Fargo passing through with the mail coach. devil monkey

I may not be wrong Royton's like Tombstone Quiet no Law Ale Houses Bars Eating joints and Tonsorial Parlours galore,  lol

I would if I could but I can't,

#4 03.Oct.18 19:30:36

Rebel

I thought that Erin , it looks like Politicians doing the old spin trick of announcing somhing new but its something old .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#5 04.Oct.18 17:22:29

ridge walker

Interesting that Rebel, when they announced the plans, the start date was August 2018, they had to work out the plans to convert it for the library and for public use, get a lift fitted and make space for the police team, and to do this they needed a new entrance from the back to comply with disabled access rules,  all this was supposed to be done during the interval inbetween, but no start was made, and just as bad no word came back that the planning was completed and everything was in place  and a contractor appointed  in fact that was when the questions were coming thick and fast, why the silence etc, yes no one liked  the library being moved and who was to move into it when it was empty, these were the issues people were talking about, at every occasion when asked the plans were still undecided, at every meeting the issue was postponed till the next, no information on a 'partner' to take over the library either so we speculated, they told us it would all be carefully selected as a suitable business in keeping with the building as they do,  to answer the critics of the project, to keep it positive  and on side, and the often repeated claim everyone liked it who they spoke too. 

Where has this 10 year claim come from and the £2.5 m,  its never been mentioned, its due to be completed in 18 months by early 2020 with a budget of £2 m,   the library move is acclaimed in every election leaflet  and newsletter we will get a super new facility fit for the new generation, its not just a move over to next door, it will have a bigger IT section bells and whistles, when i ask the staff every month  since June are they all packed up for the move, i know the shelves are reduced, they tell me they have heard nothing and nothings been done in preparation,   ask the committee members  and its just being finalised, no ref' to unforeseen problems or lack of funding as its all in place, its just taking longer, then you ask is this all to do with inventing a story to project the idea they are doing something - the as a local election is due in May 2017 then 18, no delays or problems then, well we have a new leader of the council now, a new broom, he will have a blog on this topic on line, whats missing is the when,  the start and finish dates- august was just an estimate,  instead its "we hope too" or "we will announce this later" there just idea on paper and can be changed or cancelled just like any other masterplan and the only people who can issue a statement is the council publicity department, not our councillors.

#6 04.Oct.18 18:12:04

Woody

More than likely worried about the fall out from the people of Royton if they get it wrong it could be a disaster,

Bit like Whispers buying the Assembly Hall how long did that rumble on before Lidl came on the scene,

Cladded steel frame block walls rendered not really built to blend in with the local Architecture,

I would if I could but I can't,

#7 05.Oct.18 08:45:47

ridge walker

No supermarket reflects local conditions Woody, their all functional  to suit a shopping area with glass walls and flat roofs, the Lidl developement in total was well constructed, the car park area must have cost a fortune on its own, the design was what it was and that was  granted permission, just like the two constructions on Park Street hardly match the terraced properties,  in time the old will give way to the modern, maybe the old will outlast the new.

In my minds eye, the entire area from Middleton Road to Broadway and Oldham Road the Holden fold will be swept away by a massive large scale renewal of Royton, including its industrial past, no infill sites of small development but an entire new rebuilding of the town and its highways,  St TM has already given permission for the council to borrow the money for it, ha ha, it will happen some day i'm Phyic (gifted)

#8 06.Oct.18 11:20:58

ridge walker

Thinking about this 10 year thing, i wonder if the masterplan for Oldham which is a 25 year plan and the Mumps Princes Gate development which is now a 10 year plan  is what Rebel has been hearing, possibly gossip in the pubs from freinds and strangers alike,  their was a time this kind of rumour was quickly renounced as mischief making but now its not even answered in responce, it takes the oxygen away that feeds it.

Board footer