Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 07.Jan.10 15:00:19

Rebel

CooP TO CLOSE

Royto CooP to close  and a new store will take its place Haldanes or something  all the jobs saved and will transfer over to new store  see chron

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#2 07.Jan.10 15:03:04

esmerelda

Re: CooP TO CLOSE

oh i must have read it wrong, i thought it meant they were keeping the store...

#3 07.Jan.10 19:50:31

MarkyBoy

In Omnibus Princeps

#4 08.Jan.10 01:22:03

MarkyBoy

What i don't understand....   if it was CO-OP that bought out Somerfield... why were the CO-OP jobs at risk ??   surely it would have been the otherway round

Last edited by MarkyBoy (08.Jan.10 01:22:40)

In Omnibus Princeps

#5 08.Jan.10 01:28:10

The Maxster

MarkyBoy wrote:

What i don't understand....   if it was CO-OP that bought out Somerfield... why were the CO-OP jobs at risk ??   surely it would have been the otherway round

Think they always intended to use the more modern Somerfield building,personally think its a pain in the backside due to its parking, much quicker going to ye olde Co-op building.And you dont get clamped.

Tonight, The Streets are ours!

#6 08.Jan.10 12:57:06

clutter

Haldanes sounds good (link up there ^)

#7 08.Jan.10 14:35:21

chatterbox

clutter wrote:

Haldanes sounds good (link up there ^)

I agree, I like the sound of good service and using local produce. Time will tell.

#8 08.Jan.10 15:24:43

MarkyBoy

Even so.... if, as it seems they intend to use the newer , bigger building it's still CO-OP that have taken over Somerfield....  so CO-OP staff should be fine.... they just move to the new building... Somerfield staff would then be offered TUPE http://www.tssa.org.uk/article-170.php3?id_article=1362    or am i missing something   did Somerfield takeover CO-OP perhaps ??

In Omnibus Princeps

#9 08.Jan.10 16:20:27

ridge walker

The Co-op bought Somerfield and cannot have two stores in one town under their trading rules, they prefer the much busier somerfield site to continue trading and have now disposed of the old store to Haldanes Stores, the deal secured the somerfield staff and likewise the 28 staff at the old co-op will be secured and kept by Haldanes under a guarantee by it chairman Arthur  Harris.

It is hoped the new branding and opening under the Haldane banner will be completed by April 20th for the  8 stores they acquired involving 245 staff, the co-op disposed of 133 stores in total where they took over Somerfied stores in the same town, this indicates they bought more modern shops.

#10 08.Jan.10 16:31:10

MarkyBoy

Are people missing my point here ???  If the CO-OP bought Somerfield.... why do the 28 people who work for CO-OP have to be saved by the new Haldane store ??   they already work for the more dominant employer.... surely their jobs are safe ? all be it at the bigger store....  28 ex Somerfield staff should be the ones that would have been worried about their future.....   So whats happend here is CO-OP are improving and expanding buy buying out a complete chain of supermarkets ... but those employees that helped get them into that position loose there jobs and have to go work for a new smaller chain ???  it dosn't make sense     mad

In Omnibus Princeps

#11 08.Jan.10 18:40:29

TimH

I agree with you Marky those 28 staff should be looked after by the Co-op especially as most of them have been there since Adam was a lad. So they will have a new employer now with new pay and conditions to negotiate and most likely the Somerfield store will be re-branded the Co-op within weeks of the old store opening up under the Haldanes name.

#12 08.Jan.10 20:37:34

ridge walker

I understand the point Marky, its well made.  I think this comes under logistics and i suggest, as i dont know- that because the Somerfield staff are on site and familier with the place of work they are retained, and must have been part of the sale aggreement to the Co-op to retain the staff.

To the loyal co-op staff who now transfer to the new owner it may have been put to them that with the closure of the store they could not transfer to the new premises and the new company has saved there jobs on conditions similar to what they enjoyed previously.

They may have been offered redundancy or early retirement and in time we may hear from those effected how good or bad they have been treated, these deals are made in private, and may have had some consultation with representative of the workers, it may have been the best offer available to them.

#13 08.Jan.10 20:42:35

Rebel

Smells a bit doesnt it ?

#14 24.Jun.10 11:01:19

Wally Hope

Haldines have asked for volunteers for redundancy .. the staff should find out today if they have been accepted ... the store has nowhere near met the targets ... i think it will shut soon

what do you think

walt

4  wheels move the body .. 2 wheels move the soul

#15 24.Jun.10 11:08:19

Rebel

Definately neutral

#16 24.Jun.10 11:29:06

ridge walker

Its not worked out and its not been overstaffed as the tills were not manned, when you want to pay they wander over or you have to use the side counter for the lottery and tobacco.  What we need is a Tesco express that stays open till 10pm and has an ATM.  It may linger on for years  like this, dont know why its not busy as its basicly the same as before- prices are similar i think, but its not offered anything new,  Aldi and other stores have grown much bigger so they wont be interested.

#17 24.Jun.10 13:52:08

sg
Administrator

Oh dear sad

[citation needed]

#18 24.Jun.10 16:33:50

The Chief

I was excited when Haldanes opened, it promised a lot. However its scruffy, miserable and the food isnt exactly cheap nor is there great choice.

I can see it closing myself as well.

Be happy - You'll live longer

#19 24.Jun.10 16:36:21

TimH

I went in one day and had to queue for so long that I gave up in the end and went over to the Co-op. I haven't been in since.

#20 24.Jun.10 20:15:58

Hattie

The only way that shop would succeed would be if it was the only shop in Royton. It needs serious work putting in, and quickly. At the moment the Co-op has it beaten hands down on price, choice, space to move around, light, and general attractiveness of layout. That's without mentioning the staff problem and the Great Delivery Trump Card.

Why fit in when you can be outstanding?

#21 24.Jun.10 23:15:00

katboo

it s sure to close. I want a netto or a home bargins

be yourself..everyone else is taken  !!!

#22 25.Jun.10 23:02:46

nola

sad You don't like to see a business fail, but it just doesn't seem to have had any umph about it.

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#23 07.Oct.18 19:53:24

Rebel

Remember

Board footer