Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 05.Oct.18 12:29:39

Rebel

Byron St School site

Putting pilings in i was stood near the machine and the ground literally shook .  The power of those machines .    What are they building ?.

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#2 05.Oct.18 12:34:50

Woody

Re: Byron St School site

Rebel wrote:

Putting pilings in i was stood near the machine and the ground literally shook .  The power of those machines .    What are they building ?.

28 Houses on both sites Police Station & School.

I would if I could but I can't,

#3 05.Oct.18 13:03:44

Rebel

That means at least 60 odd  extra vehicles   cars vans etc in the dead center of Royton .Going out in the morning coming back later .    Most of these houses will only have parking space for one some maybe two . Most of these houses will be occupied by people coming from other parts of the borough or even county .

#4 05.Oct.18 18:21:29

Woody

Rebel wrote:

That means at least 60 odd  extra vehicles   cars vans etc in the dead center of Royton .Going out in the morning coming back later .    Most of these houses will only have parking space for one some maybe two . Most of these houses will be occupied by people coming from other parts of the borough or even county .

Have not seen any site layout plans,

When the plans were shown on ER  for each house type there were some 4 bedroomed houses,

But I do not know what the mix is,

Application Number Below.

PA 341540/18

Last edited by Woody (05.Oct.18 18:26:41)

I would if I could but I can't,

#5 05.Oct.18 20:16:15

ridge walker

They all have parking  spaces but no garages, and they all have access from the adjacent road there on, large rear gardens as well plus a public car park where McQuillans was to take them off the street, some have 3 spaces.   My builder freind whose a 'Chippy joiner' who does job supervisions tells me its cheaper to pile foundation now than to build traditional foundations, the piles support the floor beams so no digging required and pouring concrete.

#6 07.Oct.18 04:15:06

The Nomad

These houses are being built complete with their own private drives so, with a bit of luck, there shouldn't be much of an impact regarding parking in the area.

One question that needs to be asked/answered is, why are the piles necessary? I suspect this is due to the instability of the land being built on. A corollary of the myriad of tunnels in this area dating back to the mining days, maybe? After all, there was a colliery where Royton Park is now and they are interlinked or run closely to mine tunnels from the colliery's that used to be in Crompton, Summit, Oldham Edge, etc.
Hong Kong uses the very same method (piling) but that is most definitely due to it being absolutely necessary to strengthen the ground prior to building as many places are constructed on landfill, i.e., "land" being artificially created by filling around the coastline with sand. In other words, weak land. Is it for the same reason, on this land, due to the tunnels? If you look at the houses on Radcliffe Street many of them have garden walls like "dogs back legs". Many also have windows and doors that have to be forced closed. This, I suspect, is related to the old mine tunnels.

#7 07.Oct.18 06:50:30

Erin

The Nomad wrote:

These houses are being built complete with their own private drives so, with a bit of luck, there shouldn't be much of an impact regarding parking in the area.

One question that needs to be asked/answered is, why are the piles necessary? I suspect this is due to the instability of the land being built on. A corollary of the myriad of tunnels in this area dating back to the mining days, maybe? After all, there was a colliery where Royton Park is now and they are interlinked or run closely to mine tunnels from the colliery's that used to be in Crompton, Summit, Oldham Edge, etc.
Hong Kong uses the very same method (piling) but that is most definitely due to it being absolutely necessary to strengthen the ground prior to building as many places are constructed on landfill, i.e., "land" being artificially created by filling around the coastline with sand. In other words, weak land. Is it for the same reason, on this land, due to the tunnels? If you look at the houses on Radcliffe Street many of them have garden walls like "dogs back legs". Many also have windows and doors that have to be forced closed. This, I suspect, is related to the old mine tunnels.

The above is very interesting Nomad and if the piling is due to the above you just have to hope they understand just what they are doing.

#8 07.Oct.18 08:40:00

ridge walker

Its mainly due to the sand belt that Royton was built on, its in layers so the mining activety went below it , its all a result of the ice age and events millions of years ago, the sand is very fine and considered a valuable asset, land above Tandle Hill Road was mined for iron ore and those excavations are still visible, my area has deep deposits of clay and we often refer to the brick making that took place in Crompton.

#9 07.Oct.18 11:37:38

Rebel

Big loss of car parking spaces on Radcliffe st and Milton st due to this development .

#10 07.Oct.18 11:44:21

Rebel

I should think its only a matter of time before the old Brownhalls works is demolished and used for tourists .

#11 07.Oct.18 16:00:56

The Nomad

ridge walker wrote:

Its mainly due to the sand belt that Royton was built on, its in layers so the mining activety went below it , its all a result of the ice age and events millions of years ago, the sand is very fine and considered a valuable asset, land above Tandle Hill Road was mined for iron ore and those excavations are still visible, my area has deep deposits of clay and we often refer to the brick making that took place in Crompton.

Is there any information available for this from official sources? It seems that present dwellings are only affected in certain areas.

#12 07.Oct.18 16:21:07

nola

Rebel wrote:

Big loss of car parking spaces on Radcliffe st and Milton st due to this development .

Oh yes, round those streets are the only place to park for the leisure centre, which is always full

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#13 07.Oct.18 16:47:07

ridge walker

It was very neglectful of them building mills with no car parks and lining the streets with housing with no off road space,  if only they knew what the timelord knows today he could have left them a note to consider all our tourists coming in with lawnmowers and new fangled modes of transport, they only had a pair of clogs for clattering to work at end of street.

#14 07.Oct.18 16:52:00

Rebel

Nobody had cars Ridge  in our street one person had a car in the next street nobody on the street that connected them none on the ajoining streets cant remember any .  we could have a full scale football/crickert match on the street .   As kids the streets were safe to play.  Those are the streets which surround the town hall  . All full of cars now .

Last edited by Rebel (07.Oct.18 16:52:24)

#15 07.Oct.18 16:53:10

The Nomad

Rebel. wrote:

The residents of Radcliffe St (possibly other adjacent streets too) were offered (forms were sent to the residents) the option of registering their own "spots" approximately three years ago (about the time of the Precinct parking charge debacle) but the majority did nothing about it and so nothing was implemented. As it is, Wednesday seems to be a busier street day compared to market day, for whatever reason, but, come the time of the completion of the new dwellings, things might turn for the worse for all residents in that area once folks have moved in.

#16 07.Oct.18 16:55:31

Rebel

The Nomad wrote:
Rebel. wrote:

The residents of Radcliffe St (possibly other adjacent streets too) were offered (forms were sent to the residents) the option of registering their own "spots" approximately three years ago (about the time of the Precinct parking charge debacle) but the majority did nothing about it and so nothing was implemented. As it is, Wednesday seems to be a busier street day compared to market day, for whatever reason, but, come the time of the completion of the new dwellings, things might turn for the worse for all residents in that area once folks have moved in.

Aye offered spots at a price    people who had lived there for 30  40 years or so offered parking spots outside their houses because of the imminent  jnflux of vehicles due to the new clinic and baths .

#17 07.Oct.18 17:00:02

The Nomad

Rebel. wrote:

Nobody had cars Ridge  in our street one person had a car in the next street nobody on the street that connected them none on the ajoining streets cant remember any .

So things are looking good for the North Koreans in the near future!

#18 07.Oct.18 17:06:32

The Nomad

Rebel. wrote:

The Nomad wrote:
Rebel. wrote:

Aye offered spots at a price    people who had lived there for 30  40 years or so offered parking spots outside their houses because of the imminent  jnflux of vehicles due to the new clinic and baths .

There was no charge or levy involved. Just the simple case of completing a form and registering but, as is the usual British way, insufficient people could be bothered to go through the formality so those sat on their posteriors spoiled it for all and sundry, even those that did make the effort.

#19 07.Oct.18 17:32:44

Rebel

The Nomad wrote:
Rebel. wrote:

The Nomad wrote:
Rebel. wrote:

There was no charge or levy involved. Just the simple case of completing a form and registering but, as is the usual British way, insufficient people could be bothered to go through the formality so those sat on their posteriors spoiled it for all and sundry, even those that did make the effort.

No no   for a space  you had to pay around £150 or something like that .

#20 07.Oct.18 18:51:35

Rebel

A year .

#21 08.Oct.18 08:10:05

ridge walker

Point is Rebel, despite all the cost and maintenance the car parks are now surfaced, and white lined into bays and FREE to all users, they (council) receive no income from them and even the traffic wardens have to be paid for, what about the lighting and sweeping and all the other costs, fines cant cover everything, i just cant understand why parking at the kerb is allowed anywhere along any street however long they have lived there, Bashy admitted it was theft of the highway to allow residents parking schemes, roads are for moving traffic not a facility for kids to play cricket and football on or parking any obstruction such as a pedestrian traffic island that he himself introduced.

#22 08.Oct.18 09:34:18

Rebel

Rebel wrote:

A year .

ooops  i could be wrong on that Nomad .

#23 08.Oct.18 10:02:04

Barleycorn

ridge walker wrote:

Point is Rebel, despite all the cost and maintenance the car parks are now surfaced, and white lined into bays and FREE to all users, they (council) receive no income from them and even the traffic wardens have to be paid for, what about the lighting and sweeping and all the other costs, fines cant cover everything, i just cant understand why parking at the kerb is allowed anywhere along any street however long they have lived there, Bashy admitted it was theft of the highway to allow residents parking schemes, roads are for moving traffic not a facility for kids to play cricket and football on or parking any obstruction such as a pedestrian traffic island that he himself introduced.

Fair points - bit you can't simply ignore the current levels of car ownership.  Any ban on parking must be accompanied by a workable solution bfor community parking lots.

OR...

Designate far more streets one way , and the stress on parking is alleviated, for now.     

Successfully down in some parts of the borough (Freehold) - making streets one way would ease traffic,  spread the traffic around and  ease parking stress.

Routes would need to be considered, but folks would quickly adapt.   I can think of dozens of examples that would be better places to.live, on balance, from Day 1.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#24 08.Oct.18 12:22:25

Rebel

With proper planning that could improve the situation Barley  one things for sure with all the town center housing developments going on in Royton something will be needed .

#25 08.Oct.18 13:08:14

Erin

If any plans are passed for housing it should be mandatory that driveway parking slots are included.

#26 08.Oct.18 14:15:30

Rebel

Erin the houses have parking drives  but the thing is they will take the parking spaces off Radcliffe st and Milton st  and  Cardigan st  . My estimate is at least 25 to 30 on street parking spaces will be lost .  I could be wrong but judging by the Plans for this innapropriate development thats the way it looks to me .

#27 08.Oct.18 16:55:02

nola

Rebel wrote:

Erin the houses have parking drives  but the thing is they will take the parking spaces off Radcliffe st and Milton st  and  Cardigan st  . My estimate is at least 25 to 30 on street parking spaces will be lost .  I could be wrong but judging by the Plans for this innapropriate development thats the way it looks to me .

Yes, we won't be able to park in front of the houses

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#28 08.Oct.18 17:27:33

ridge walker

Perfectly correct Rebel, thats was my first thought as i stated, it will free up the streets like Park street which is now one way with residents only parking on both sides  but they clearly dont park on the leisure centre side now just outside their houses,  Barley again is correct, the council are trying to hard to satisfy the residents  needs, i'm severe with my comments as residents have introduced these vehicles know they had no off road parking space and no their dont pay a road fund licence to allow them to do it then they add another and expect visitors to also have a space and so on, space for a skip and space for a delivery, the council is inundated with requests where ever terraced property exists, or semi's where gardens are being concreted over for the wifes car and their childrens and their caravan.

We dont have the land for all this development and with the amount of traffic now we must clear the roads, free it up yet there are those who think we must slow traffic down and parking does that and we must be able to cross road in safety so we must build pedestrian islands in the centre, and errect fencing along our main roads and develope plots on both sides so people now have to cross from side to side more often, the result is more congestion thats why i have to be severe, were losing our green spaces to development, not just for housing but for employment and warehousing that creates the traffic, business parks and if they had their way Clayton PF would have gone as well, look at the size of the new schools that once were green fields, a town in the country no more yet the private derelect industrial sites still plague the borough, were not renewing the old fast enough and were taking land on the Holly and where ever they can fit home on- its been made too easy.

Board footer