Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 10.Oct.18 15:18:37

Tabbycat

Trees

Some fantastic news for all tree lovers out there.
We have been granted a tree preservation order on the the whole row of trees on our street.

We applied for  an order in 2000 which was approved but unfortunately, unbeknown to us, the staff member dealing with it left before it had been confirmed so all these years of us thinking they were protected was wrong.

Over the years those poor trees have suffered all sorts of chopping and abuse by the world and his wife, but no more. We have it in black and white.

Big box of chocolates is in order for Ben, the arbourist who we owe it all  to.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 10.Oct.18 15:47:36

Erin

Re: Trees

I think trees on urban streets are OK if the are managed and maintained properly.  The species of trees are important too but in the majority of cases as long as it grows quickly and spreads its branches that will do.  I don't think much thought is given to how deep and far the roots will spread and the damage that causes, and when people need to know who are responsible for them no-one seems to know or who may own the land.  The local authority always has an appropriate answer.

#3 10.Oct.18 15:59:10

Barleycorn

Erin wrote:

I think trees on urban streets are OK if the are managed and maintained properly.  The species of trees are important too but in the majority of cases as long as it grows quickly and spreads its branches that will do.  I don't think much thought is given to how deep and far the roots will spread and the damage that causes, and when people need to know who are responsible for them no-one seems to know or who may own the land. The local authority always has an appropriate answer.

The good folks of Sheffield will have other ideas.

The (Labour, shamefully) council has sub-contracted companies who are decimiating healthy trees much loved by locals.

Its a sorry tale, on many levels.

https://savesheffieldtrees.org.uk/

Your preservation order sounds invaluable Tabby - good work.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#4 10.Oct.18 16:10:14

Tabbycat

Thanks Barley, We fought long and hard for it.

I know all about Sheffield. It is disgraceful what they've done with all their trees. sad

#5 10.Oct.18 18:08:06

sg
Administrator

Random fact from Radio 4: Sheffield is the greenest city in the UK.

[citation needed]

#6 10.Oct.18 19:01:04

Erin

I read the link that BC posted and it gave a map of all the trees which were going to be demolished and the reason why.  It also gave the species of the trees and what they were going to replace them with.

#7 10.Oct.18 19:36:47

Tabbycat

I can't comment on any particular case but I don't like it when they talk about "Replacing" trees. How can you replace a mature oak? or any mature tree for that matter.

The trees we have won a TPO on were planted by my OH and myself 40 years ago. They've taken all those years to grow to maturity. You can't just chop them down and plant something else.

My youngest son has also planted around 10 or 12 small saplings on the common land at the top of the street. He will be around to see them mature, hopefully. Not a cat in hell's chance for us  lol

#8 11.Oct.18 08:15:34

Erin

If the trees are diseased then off course they have to be replaced, they could become a danger to people and property.

Board footer