Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 02.Oct.18 23:49:15

sg
Administrator

New Brass band "Hot Brass" rehearsing in Royton

Did you know that Royton now has its own brass band? ... although, of course, being Royton, it's a bit off the wall :-)
Royton Hot Brass is our local 'antidote to serious brass banding'. We play anything from Bob Marley to The Specials and The Black Eyed Peas to Madonna.
Come and rehearse with us on Sunday evenings in the town centre. All welcome, any age, any experience.
Or how about booking us for your local event, your private party, your celebration ... you'd be surprised what we're up for!
We exist for Royton - use us!
Martyn
07481 565 166
roytonbrass@yahoo.com
www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk

43007696_10155515249911682_3917230020442980352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&oh=82876be9e2800a1578d361bbbe96eeb0&oe=5C512B2E

[citation needed]

#2 03.Oct.18 09:17:35

Erin

Re: New Brass band "Hot Brass" rehearsing in Royton

Wow that is brilliant,hope it is a great success and they get a good response.  Just what Royton needs.  smile

#3 03.Oct.18 18:47:06

Rebel

Im in .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#4 03.Oct.18 21:54:36

LittleRach

I play the clarinet (a little bit), but I’m really boring.  I don’t really like jazz, and I can’t ever quite get the rhythm and syncopation and all that right.

So I need a little chamber orchestra or something.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#5 03.Oct.18 22:01:44

Rebel

If they want a drummer   big bass  snare   Im up for it     no.equopment at though moment but give me the gig and ebay hrte i come .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#6 04.Oct.18 11:00:15

Martyn Music

Thank you for your comments ... you can all join at Royton Hot Brass, we're not precious :-)

Thank you for your encouragement, Erin.

Rebel, you can drum with us - we'll find you something to bash!

And, LittleRach, come along with your clarinet and you'll find you're in good company ... and we're not that jazzy really :-)

Full details on our website at www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk
Or email me on roytonbrass@yahoo.com
Or text me on 07481 565 166

We want to give Royton a band to smile about and to be proud of!

Martyn
Royton_Moravian_Hot_Brass_flyer_b.jpg

#7 04.Oct.18 16:50:22

Barleycorn

There are some great 'new style'  Brass Bands doing the live circuit at the moment.

Hackney Colliery, Hot 8, Young blood, Rajasthan Heritage, Riot Jazz  etc etc

A local 'fun' brass band sounds like a great idea...   get stuck in Rach...

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#8 04.Oct.18 17:05:02

sg
Administrator

I've scheduled another reminder to go out on Sunday night.
Let us know if enough numbers turn up on Sunday so we can try and help keep pushing it

[citation needed]

#9 04.Oct.18 18:22:16

Martyn Music

Thank you very much :-)

And yes ... give us a few decades (about six) and we'll be nearly as good as Hackney Colliery Band ... maybe :-)

#10 04.Oct.18 20:58:24

LittleRach

How good to you need people to be?
I was probably about grade 6 last time I picked my clarinet up, but that was a long time ago, so I’m definitely not that now!

#11 04.Oct.18 21:14:33

Erin

Is it something you would consider having a try Rach?

#12 05.Oct.18 08:56:07

Martyn Music

You don't need to be 'good' (although Grade 6 is quite impressive!). We have people of all ages, experience and current abilities. You would be so welcome to come along. Please email us and I'll send you back full details :-)

Thanks

Martyn

roytonbrass@yahoo.com

#13 05.Oct.18 15:40:16

nola

Oh I am so sad!  I would love to have a go, but can't make Sunday evenings  sad

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#14 05.Oct.18 16:50:15

Martyn Music

nola wrote:

Oh dear ... can you make Monday afternoons or Monday evenings, Nola? If so, we also run these fab projects to get people playing and enjoying music:

Monday afternoons: ENJO Saddleworth Jazz Workshop, 12.15pm to 2pm at Uppermill Methodist Church. Details on here: www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk

Monday evenings: English Jazz Orchestra, 7.45pm to 9.45pm at Oldham Baptist Church (nr King Street Tram Stop). Details on here: www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk

Oh ... and we have a sing-along, rock, pop, jazz, you name it, on Monday mornings, 10.30am to 11.45am at Uppermill Methodist Church.

Spread the word! :-)

#15 05.Oct.18 18:50:53

nola

Martyn Music wrote:
nola wrote:

Oh dear ... can you make Monday afternoons or Monday evenings, Nola? If so, we also run these fab projects to get people playing and enjoying music:

Monday afternoons: ENJO Saddleworth Jazz Workshop, 12.15pm to 2pm at Uppermill Methodist Church. Details on here: www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk

Monday evenings: English Jazz Orchestra, 7.45pm to 9.45pm at Oldham Baptist Church (nr King Street Tram Stop). Details on here: www.englishjazzorchestra.co.uk

Oh ... and we have a sing-along, rock, pop, jazz, you name it, on Monday mornings, 10.30am to 11.45am at Uppermill Methodist Church.

I could do the Monday evenings!  So.... I haven't got an instrument yet!  BUT I am a grade 8 pianist (rubbish sight reader though) so hopefully could "pick up" another instrument?   I would love to play an ensemble instrument.  Maybe if I come along and see what goes on?

#16 05.Oct.18 18:54:52

LittleRach

Go for it Nola!

I played viola originally, but switched to clarinet when I was in my twenties.  I definitely think it’s loads easier once you can play one instrument.

#17 05.Oct.18 19:08:32

Martyn Music

nola wrote:
Martyn Music wrote:
nola wrote:

I could do the Monday evenings!  So.... I haven't got an instrument yet!  BUT I am a grade 8 pianist (rubbish sight reader though) so hopefully could "pick up" another instrument?   I would love to play an ensemble instrument.  Maybe if I come along and see what goes on?

Yes, Nola, come along to any of our sessions and say hello ... you might find something there to inspire you :-)

#18 05.Oct.18 19:10:09

Martyn Music

LittleRach wrote:

Go for it Nola!

I played viola originally, but switched to clarinet when I was in my twenties.  I definitely think it’s loads easier once you can play one instrument.

Yes, LittleRach, it is easier, I believe, every time you try a new instrument ... a bit like learning languages, you learn how to learn or get the knack ... come and play clarinet with us in any of our bands, you'd love it! And if you haven't got one anymore, we could possibly lend you one.

#19 05.Oct.18 21:31:12

Mags

Do you want someone to play the triangle or clash the symbols?  smile

Last edited by Mags (05.Oct.18 21:31:52)

#20 05.Oct.18 21:57:39

nola

I've wondered about the flute as I prefer a non-transposing instrument.

#21 06.Oct.18 12:00:23

Martyn Music

Mags wrote:

Do you want someone to play the triangle or clash the symbols?  smile

What grade are you on triangle?

Cymbals hmmm ... we've already got a smashing cymbalist and you might clash ;-)

#22 06.Oct.18 14:58:32

Martyn Music

nola wrote:

Flute is nice ... there are lots of non-transposing instruments, including strings, trombone, tuba, oboe, bassoon, harp, piano, guitar, bass-guitar, banjo (be careful!), recorder, comb-and-paper, kazoo, tambourine, spoons, washboard ... but yes, flute is great

#23 06.Oct.18 15:01:53

LittleRach

nola wrote:

Absolutely.  Good idea.  I have always picked stupid instruments!
Viola - uses stupid clef that no one else uses, also everyone thinks it’s a violin and there’s no point correcting them.
Alto sax - in Eb, so when you transpose you have millions of sharps
Hated transposing, so got a .......... Bb clarinet.  Why?  Why did I do that? Am I really that stupid?  It would seem so!  Slightly easier transposing, but still.

What about an oboe?  I like those, but I’m not sure if they’re in C or not.

#24 06.Oct.18 15:04:52

LittleRach

Also, why do they make instruments in Bb or Eb or whatever?
It’s still the same notes, so why can’t they all just call an A an A, then no one would have to transpose and everyone’s lives would be a lot easier.

There must be a reason behind it all somewhere.  SG?  You did music.  Why do they do this.

#25 06.Oct.18 15:36:05

Martyn Music

I think the 'transposing instrument' thing is a bit of a red herring ... if you have the right piece of music in front of you (ie the relevant part for your instrument), you shouldn't ever have to transpose, whichever instrument you're playing - indeed a lot players don't know how and don't ever need to know. We don't make you transpose at Royton Hot Brass! :-

#26 06.Oct.18 17:22:00

sg
Administrator

Was the idea to prevent some instruments having to read notes that hung really low down off the bottom of the stave?

[citation needed]

#27 06.Oct.18 19:58:31

LittleRach

Martyn Music wrote:

I think the 'transposing instrument' thing is a bit of a red herring ... if you have the right piece of music in front of you (ie the relevant part for your instrument), you shouldn't ever have to transpose, whichever instrument you're playing - indeed a lot players don't know how and don't ever need to know. We don't make you transpose at Royton Hot Brass! :-

The reason I’ve had to do it in the past (and I bet this is also what Nola is thinking of), is that I played in the church music group.  All their music is in concert pitch, and it’s generally not available for instruments in other keys - don’t know why, there must be a fair few sax/clarinet players out there who would want it

Right.  I’m going to email you now.

#28 07.Oct.18 16:24:52

nola

sg wrote:

Was the idea to prevent some instruments having to read notes that hung really low down off the bottom of the stave?

That's how I understand it.  Their music would be on all those ledger lines above or below the stave, which just isn't practical

#29 07.Oct.18 16:34:49

nola

LittleRach wrote:
Martyn Music wrote:

The reason I’ve had to do it in the past (and I bet this is also what Nola is thinking of), is that I played in the church music group.  All their music is in concert pitch, and it’s generally not available for instruments in other keys - don’t know why, there must be a fair few sax/clarinet players out there who would want it

Yes that's exactly it Rach.  At church we sing modern songs as well as traditional hymns, which are either in standard piano music form, or a melody line with guitar chords. So if you want to join in with a transposing instrument you'd have to transpose as you go (!) or laboriously write out your own music for each song.

#30 Yesterday 19:44:33

nola

Well I’m here at the English Jazz Orchestra for a nosy.

Board footer