Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 05.Nov.18 10:31:10

Tabbycat

Dogford Rd/Rochdale Rd Junction

I have written to the Highways Dept to ask for the centre island to be reinstated here as I am sick of seeing vehicles put their foot down as they approach to turn up Dogford Rd, and going on the wrong side of the road to keep their speed up along Dogford Rd.

I hope they do take notice.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 05.Nov.18 13:58:32

Woody

Re: Dogford Rd/Rochdale Rd Junction

Tabbycat wrote:

I have written to the Highways Dept to ask for the centre island to be reinstated here as I am sick of seeing vehicles put their foot down as they approach to turn up Dogford Rd, and going on the wrong side of the road to keep their speed up along Dogford Rd.

They removed it as it was difficult for HGVs going into Stadium Works,

It was traffic waiting on Dogford Road it would be blocked till the lights change the road markings dictate that the access to the works remains with a gap in standing traffic,

I would if I could but I can't,

#3 05.Nov.18 14:22:01

Tabbycat

The last occupants of Stadium Works moved to newer premises because of difficulty in access for large vehicles.
I'm not holding my breath, Woody, but the absence of the centre island is a major cause of speeding drivers along Dogford Road and Fir lane.

#4 05.Nov.18 14:47:42

China Girl

Tabby, I have to confess that I don't know exactly where/what you mean?  I do see a lot of people online complaining about speeding drivers on Fir Lane - is that since the centre island went (from wherever it was).  At first I read it as mini-roundabout (don't ask) and I was really confused   lol

#5 05.Nov.18 15:11:44

Tabbycat

It is where the Junction pub is on the corner, at the traffic lights, going towards Rochdale Road/Summit one way and a right turn to  Dogford Road, from Rochdale Lane the other way, if that makes sense.

The centre island made it a lot safer because traffic couldn't put their foot down and speed through like they can now. It doesn't help that it's a staggered junction that the Highways Dept have recently "Improved" by removing the island and taking up all the road markings. They initially put new road markings down, but there were so many complaints about where they'd put them that they ended up painting over them. Now there aren't any road markings at all, and at rush hour it's a accident waiting to happen.

#6 06.Nov.18 22:30:35

nola

Woody wrote:
Tabbycat wrote:

They removed it as it was difficult for HGVs going into Stadium Works,

It was traffic waiting on Dogford Road it would be blocked till the lights change the road markings dictate that the access to the works remains with a gap in standing traffic,

I'm sure that's not the reason for removing the central island Woody.  It was too far back from the works entrance to affect HGVs going in there - the difficulty is the tight turn at the actual entrance.   HGVs have often been instructed to turn round at Low Crompton Road so they can then reverse in whilst facing the junction.   

The reason for the removal of the central island will be that it is no longer necessary for pedestrians to have a safe central island, as they now have a pelican crossing.
The trouble is, they have overlooked the fact that, like Tabby says, it's absence now enables cars free to race round the corner at 40+ miles and  hour. It's frightening.

Really called Janet (and still confused)

Board footer