Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

nola

#1 02.Nov.18 22:13:45

Tabbycat

WW1 Commemoration

I put a post on I Love Royton today asking if anything was happening in Royton, or indeed Oldham, to commemorate 100 years of the ending of WW1.
No one has replied so I presume the answer is No?

I presume the Remembrance service will go ahead as usual on the 11th but there's nothing else planned?

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 03.Nov.18 08:47:43

Erin

Re: WW1 Commemoration

#3 03.Nov.18 09:47:27

Tabbycat

Thank you Erin. I can't find anything for Royton though.

#4 03.Nov.18 15:27:14

LittleRach

I saw that, but couldn’t reply because I don’t know of anything either.

You’d think there would be, because there’s normally something at least at the memorial in Royton Park isn’t there?

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#5 03.Nov.18 16:49:16

Erin

. The early sung mass on Armistice Day is always a very moving service at St.Paul's when all the names of the brave men of Royton who gave their lives in WWl and WW2 are read out and the last post is sounded. When you think the population of Royton during the war years wouldn't be anything like it is today so our small community paid a heavy price. May they rest in peace.

#6 03.Nov.18 19:19:02

crackerbarrel

LittleRach wrote:

I saw that, but couldn’t reply because I don’t know of anything either.

You’d think there would be, because there’s normally something at least at the memorial in Royton Park isn’t there?

The service at the memorial in Royton Park will take place as usual, Rach, I presume Tabby meant anything extra to that, but I don't know of anything else?

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#7 03.Nov.18 23:41:43

China Girl

I think they had all the special commemorations in 2014 marking 100 years since the start of WW1.  At the time a lot of people said it may have been more appropriate to mark the end, not the beginning.  I think those people were right.

#8 04.Nov.18 00:40:27

Tabbycat

They certainly were, China Girl.

#9 09.Nov.18 10:17:31

ridge walker

Like the daily sounding of the last post at the Menin Gate in France that drew large crowds, thats now been ended,  a story about a Rochdale church at Sudden which read out the names of the local men who fell every night to wars end was told on the tv news a few days ago, another visited every grave of those from their community to hold their own service for them lest we forget, i find this deeply moving how great the loss was felt.

Having watched the two programs and the final 100 days of ww1 when the allies overcome the German defences, last night it concluded with the armistice negotiations in the train carriage in the woods of Campien, a moving story that left so much bitterness it led to ww2 and the defeat of France, lest we forget we must remember and i compare it now with brexit that no nation can be subdued and made poorer by the actions of their leaders or those opposing them, whats it for to destroy towns, cities and  generations of younge people, to starve entire populations and their chance to live and work and have peace and enjoyment.

#10 09.Nov.18 19:34:01

exile

I must correct you there Ridge, the nightly sundown ceremony at Menim Gate continues.  Our middle girl took a class from Burnley this summer to the battlefields and they also went to the sundown and laid a wreath.  Dobcross Youth Band went last month and laid a wreath and Huw Edwards was on TV the other night doing a piece about Welsh soldiers and he read the “ they shall not grow old as we that are left grow old “ at the menim gate during that visit.  All these visits drew large crowds.  I weep every time I see that ceremony it would be no use me going I would be a blubbering wreck, I am filling up writing this.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#11 09.Nov.18 20:08:01

Mags

We were fortunate to attend the Theipval Centenary Commemorative Event of the Battle of the Somme on July1st 2016.I was fortunate to be allocated tickets in the national ballot.We had excellent seats right in front of the large monument.It was a very moving and emotional event and something I will never forget. I laid a wreath there in memory of all the local lads/lasses who lost their lives in WW1,in particular the Oldham Pals.
Two of my ancestors fought on the Somme, one was killed and the other came home on leave in October 2018,took ill and died of the Spanish flu.One joined the Oldham Pals with his brother.They served with the Manchester Regiment.

My grandson wrote about the one who died of the Spanish flu for some homework for Crompton House. After he died he was awarded the Military Medal posthumously.He carried injured comrades on his back to safety whilst under enemy fire.
In the school assembly this morning his story was read out

Last edited by Mags (09.Nov.18 20:19:55)

#12 09.Nov.18 20:17:23

Erin

Well done to your Grandson, you must be very proud of him. smile

#13 09.Nov.18 20:22:23

Mags

...and I’m sure he was feeling so proud of his ancestor.

#14 09.Nov.18 20:38:05

Tabbycat

You have a lot to be proud of there, Mags.

#15 11.Nov.18 16:03:15

ridge walker

I did not know that Remembrance Sunday was designed to be everyones duty and not an option, Huw Edwards of the BBC made that clear in his broadcast at the Albert Hall last night,  i was not aware there are 1,500 war cemetaries and off the fallen with headstones 3/4's were never found and their names are inscribed on the walls, of those named on Roytons Memorial i cannot name any of them, who they were, what they did or where they lived, yet we remember them as one, there will be those who have family members listed and that makes it personal like Mags grandson, i may have stood alongside them or there may be no one left but those who take their place, you feel that in these places, its we who are left that mourn for every one, every nationality, its so vast its hard to comprehend, Sir Harold Evens the former editor of the Times said this morning the public knew very little, he lived in Failsworth as a boy a short distance from us and of similar age to my older brother whose now in his mid 80's,  he too has stories to tell from his work and he's no old soldier from the Great War.

#16 11.Nov.18 18:01:24

Tabbycat

I've never seen so many present as those who attended the cenotaph this morning. I'm hopeless at counting crowds but all I can say is that bearing in mind that it threw it down all morning there was a fair number of stalwarts turned up. I bet there would have been even more had it been better weather.

#17 11.Nov.18 23:38:09

Mags

I was at the Shaw Cenotaph Tabby. There were around three thousand adults and children there.
The wet weather did not deter people. The soldiers in the trenches had it a hundred times worse.

#18 12.Nov.18 08:26:33

exile

Those who died so that we could have the “ choice “ of our own actions deserve to be remembered.  And also those who went to fight even though they didn’t want to and came home injured, scared both physically and mentally.  We should remember those too.  It’s really not too much to ask for us to stand for two minutes once a year.
Our own small memorial had a record crowd this year as I believe did Royton with 1000 and Shaw at 3000.  That pleased me as I believe the public has got behind this years event in a way that they didn’t in 2014 to remember the start of the Great War.  That vain glorious David Cameron wanted big celebrations in 2014 so he could grandstand round Europe and he knew then that he would not be Prime Minister in 2018.  But a lot people said then that we should celebrate the end of the conflict not the start and the Great British public once again stuck two fingers up at Cameron and said “ we will do it our way “. Well done us.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

Board footer