Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 06.Nov.18 10:51:14

sg
Administrator

Stabbing & car theft on LIDL car park last night?

Screen-Shot-2018-11-06-at-11-02-49.png

[citation needed]

#2 06.Nov.18 17:54:07

China Girl

Re: Stabbing & car theft on LIDL car park last night?

Is there any update to this?  Terrible thing to happen  sad

#3 06.Nov.18 18:20:17

sg
Administrator

No word from the police yet but I got this followup message today

A person very close to me was forced out of his car at knifepoint in Lidl car park, Royton, at 8pm last night 5th November by 2 males. He got out and handed over the keys, he was then stabbed in the leg, luckily his wallet deflected the knife and only suffered a minor injury. They then drove off in the car. There is no cctv apparently so please everyone be careful, they were just hanging around waiting for him to return to the car, as he got in they yanked the door open and held a knife to him ??? The police were there immediately and were brilliant. X

[citation needed]

#4 06.Nov.18 20:29:52

sg
Administrator

This was the car make/model
Not really high end.

45647055-10156489124863001-2411111626846502912-n.jpg

[citation needed]

#5 06.Nov.18 22:39:18

The Nomad

sg wrote:

This was the car make/model
Not really high end.

High end. Low end. It's immaterial. At the end of the day it's uncouth, feral behaviour and the principle of the matter, and the way things have gone (NOT going. Too late now), we seem to have gone beyond the point of no return. That car meant something to somebody and that somebody had worked hard for it only for unscrupulous creatures to think it right to take what they want. MORONS!!!!  mad

#6 06.Nov.18 22:57:55

nola

Oh dear, how awful!

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#7 07.Nov.18 08:39:10

exile

This Country is going like Africa every year.  In the seventies I met a chap who returned from Rhodesia. He and his wife had enjoyed a good life there, employed many locals on their farm and produced food for the nation.  One night returning home in the dark he stopped to open the gate and a man stepped up with a gun demanding the keys to his car.  He told him where to go and the man turned and shot his wife right there siting in the car.  He came home broken and the Country, now Zimbabwe, is also broken with the farms not growing, no one working and people going hungry.  Will this be Britain at the end of the 21st century.   sad

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#8 07.Nov.18 09:45:33

Pippa

A year or two ago there was a spate of robberies from shops in Saddleworth and the local cops and councillors were all over it, reassuring locals, upping patrols, offering advice. It even made the local telly news if I remember rightly. There seems to have been a real cluster of worrying crimes in Royton lately and so far radio silence from those in power. I for one would like some reassurance.

#9 07.Nov.18 10:33:26

sg
Administrator

Pippa wrote:

A year or two ago there was a spate of robberies from shops in Saddleworth and the local cops and councillors were all over it, reassuring locals, upping patrols, offering advice. It even made the local telly news if I remember rightly. There seems to have been a real cluster of worrying crimes in Royton lately and so far radio silence from those in power. I for one would like some reassurance.

I've emailed GMP Royton/Shaw for a statement. Let's hope they reply.

[citation needed]

#10 07.Nov.18 10:37:46

Tabbycat

I read somewhere that there are hundreds of police deployed with hate crimes. So many that there are no officers to respond to other crimes. A woman was attacked while riding her bike a week or so ago (Not round here) but police were too busy to respond.

Someone was stabbed in Lidl car park. Is there a police presence there? If not, why not? The message to the public will be "Knives are being used now, so I'll get a knife to protect myself" and before you know it we'll have a town full of knife crime.

It's the same with the burnt out cars. Unless this is nipped in the bud it will be like Dodge City round here in a year or two.

I worry for my children.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#11 07.Nov.18 11:47:45

Erin

We worry about the crime that is being committed here in Royton because this is where we live, but it is a nation wide problem.  sad  The country needs more law enforcement and the only way to achieve that is more funding.  I don't want to make this into a political debate but that is where the problem lies.

#12 07.Nov.18 14:34:47

crackerbarrel

Erin wrote:

We worry about the crime that is being committed here in Royton because this is where we live, but it is a nation wide problem.  sad  The country needs more law enforcement and the only way to achieve that is more funding.  I don't want to make this into a political debate but that is where the problem lies.

Spot on Erin - careful you'll be agreeing with Barley next!   big_smile

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#13 07.Nov.18 14:45:25

Barleycorn

crackerbarrel wrote:
Erin wrote:

Spot on Erin - careful you'll be agreeing with Barley next!   big_smile

hahahaha   - after 3....   

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#14 07.Nov.18 14:51:53

Erin

Cracker I say things as I see them,  no-one is capable of agreeing 100% all of the time.

#15 07.Nov.18 17:05:23

The Nomad

Erin. wrote:

Cracker I say things as I see them,  no-one is capable of agreeing 100% all of the time.

Me too!
Most people tend to use the expression, "calling a spade a spade". I tend to call a spade a "……………….. spade" (I'm sure I'm fine with this as no letters were input so you can all make of it what you want). I never mince words. I just see it as being honest, even if sometimes it comes across as being brutally so. There's no confusion with me and everybody knows where they stand.
If only politicians could be so forthright!

#16 08.Nov.18 12:52:17

sg
Administrator

From GMP to ILR by email: "On Monday 5th November 2018 at approx. 8pm a member of the public was robbed at knifepoint on Lidl Carpark , Croft Head, Royton. A silver KIA PICANTO, MF67VXK was stolen by two males described as Asian and one with a beard. One of the offenders was carrying a knife and although the victim was assaulted thankfully the injuries were not serious. Oldham Police are treating this as a serious incident, and an investigation is on-going. The Oldham Police Team are currently involved in running Operation Brewster that is aimed at stopping Robbery offences across the borough in working to identify and bring to justice those responsible.
We would appeal to the local community for their support in coming forward with information. Any information from the public will be treated as confidential. Can you help us in relation to names, further descriptions, CCTV, or the location of the vehicle?
You can pass information to us anonymously by ringing Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or by filling in the anonymous online form
If you see a crime in progress or a threat to life ring 999, if you would like to pass information to the police in relation to this crime please ring 101 and quote log 051118/2209."

[citation needed]

#17 08.Nov.18 18:13:48

LittleRach

MEN have just reported that stolen cars were used to rob phone shops in the spindles.
I’m 99% sure one of those cars was mine

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#18 08.Nov.18 18:16:30

LittleRach

#19 08.Nov.18 18:33:20

Erin

Have you had any more news about your car Rach.

#20 08.Nov.18 19:22:40

Tabbycat

LittleRach wrote:

MEN have just reported that stolen cars were used to rob phone shops in the spindles.
I’m 99% sure one of those cars was mine

yikes Have you told the police?

#21 08.Nov.18 19:25:35

LittleRach

The police gave the report, so they will definitely know, because they then found the Yeti.  But I’m sure it was mine. sad

I will ask them though if I get to speak to them again

#22 09.Nov.18 08:21:31

ridge walker

That was a shocking news story, why has it taken so long to become known, 2 weeks, i was in Spindles on Sat' 3rd and did not notice anything other than the closed shops in Town Square, and why are the police not making these crimes headlines,  it reads like an armed assault on a town centre not the usual raid on a post office as if thats not bad enough, the car burnings are horrific also so well reported, not seen the latest local newspapers yet and the MEN is not one i would buy, a gang of 12 is akin to warfare and should be national news, i did wonder why LR was not letting us know about her car being found and was collecting it last Monday, this is real news.

#23 09.Nov.18 09:09:23

Erin

I was very surprised when I read the account of the armed raid involving 12 men and a number of vehicles in the Town Square, I wonder just how many police officers were available to try to deal with such an event?  It is frightening. yikes

#24 09.Nov.18 09:41:12

sg
Administrator

And what a stupid place to rob.
Centre of town. Cameras everywhere. Police station around the corner.

[citation needed]

#25 09.Nov.18 20:24:08

Mags

They are so brazen with it these days, organised crime at its worst.

#26 10.Nov.18 09:09:13

ridge walker

The story in the Oldham Times regarding this incident, told a different tale, the owner was Tony Mahon aged 54 who worked as a custody officer, which means he was a police officer and a sgt, he said his assailent ordered him out of his car as he had just returned to it and his doors were pulled open, they demanded his keys and before he could do so after getting out a 12 inch knife was jabbed at him that was deflected by his wallet and a wrist strap in his pocket,  not being injured his attacker then made two further jabs at him but once again he was uninjured and needed no medical attention, however he gave them the keys and they drove off, no mention of who they were or any description or ages or if the car had been found.

He said "he was better than them" and " he  was happier than they will ever be"  " they will end up in prison"   this coming from an experienced officer he never fought back and did what he was told, he must have called the police himself who attended quickly but unable to assist at that point, i suppose being uninjured is a good result but was it a stabbing, he made no attempt to defend himself or call out for help, is this the message we should all follow, we can replace the car but not our life.....how would you react, i would find it very hard. and if i was in the police car that was attacked by the axe man who struck the wing mirror, i dont think i could have just sat there.....what would you have done ?

#27 10.Nov.18 10:53:53

Tabbycat

The bloke had a knife. It's only a car. A car is replaceable, you're not. It's a no brainer isn't it? I would probably do the same.

#28 10.Nov.18 12:26:21

Erin

Ridge I don't think you really know how you would react if, heaven forbid, you found yourself in that position.

#29 10.Nov.18 18:30:54

LittleRach

I agree, you wouldn’t know until you were there.

One thing I was once told - if someone asks for your wallet, don’t give it to them, throw it.
They probably want the money more than they want you, and while they get it, you can get away.

I doubt I’d be with it enough to actually do this if it happened, but it’s worth keeping in mind,

#30 10.Nov.18 23:59:18

sg
Administrator

I'd like to do an interview with a mugger or car-jacker and ask them for tips on how to give the car or wallet or phone to them without also getting beat up. It could just be that they have to beat you up so that you don't chase them

[citation needed]

#31 11.Nov.18 08:10:34

ridge walker

I cannot say can i, you think you would be able to control the situation and make light of it calming things down, you may be frozen to the spot faced with a weapon of that kind, i have seen grown men overcome by the fear of height and exposure to a fall, completely out of character and disoriantated, shouting loudly or a slap in the face can have suprising results, it is a fact the police advise not to to resist any mugger, burgler or theif demanding money, phone or your car as your dont know what your dealing with or what their on- drug wise, your safer complying with their demands, same in banks and post offices dont resist a robbery in progress, leave it for the police, even here officers without tazers or pepper sprays, batons and protective armour wont engage with fellons in the act of a crime, our PCSO's are not equiped for it anyway if first on the scene, i still regard them as  essential even as women, one i met in Rochdale was so small i could not believe she was doing this work, she had attended two burley security gaurds with a problem in the shopping mall, she was very good and left a good impression, though at first i thought it very funny... as i do sometimes.   Big Sue in Royton would laugh at that that remark.

#32 11.Nov.18 08:22:00

Barleycorn

sg wrote:

I'd like to do an interview with a mugger or car-jacker and ask them for tips on how to give the car or wallet or phone to them without also getting beat up. It could just be that they have to beat you up so that you don't chase them

I suppose everyone is a different case, but sadly some people just like violence... much harder to escape that situation if need /greed us only part of the motive.

Lots of it around - at low, childish levels, and at global genocide levels, and everything in between. 

Empathy seems key to this - some people just detach the consequence of their actions from the desire to carry them out.   

Need, greed or being a sociopath... I think root causes vary, but it often doesn't take much to stir up trouble ( Did you spill my pint? What are you looking at? etc etc) 

Not helped by the accompanying human trait of seeing brute strength as a virtue. In a feral, wild environment, it surely was - but its sad many people havent moved on...
They see it as cool, or hard, or somehow admirable - men & women, to various degrees -  hence the  glamorous appeal, to some, of guns, knives,  of gangs and crowds being rowdy, of leading 'alpha'  thugs & 'powerful' gangs too.

Today, of all days, shows how wrong they are.

#33 17.Nov.18 10:51:15

nola

I know this is probably an age thing, but I really prefer the Co-op to Lidl.  Not that I do my main shop at any of them, just call in for things.  I know the Co-op is probably more expensive, but the atmosphere is nicer and I just prefer the stuff sold there.  It's just a much nicer place.
I would call in the Co-op after dark, but I wouldn't at Lidl.

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#34 17.Nov.18 12:34:51

Erin

I prefer the co-op and  if you look for the offers it helps to keep the cost down.

#35 18.Nov.18 00:40:56

sg
Administrator

nola wrote:

I know the Co-op is probably more expensive, but the atmosphere is nicer

I get that feeling too.
In LIDL I want to get in and out quick, I feel anxious in there and have got no idea why.
In the co-op I can wander around happily pondering the items on the shelves.

The co-op has soul. LIDL has none.

[citation needed]

#36 18.Nov.18 09:26:44

ridge walker

When i spoke with the deputy manager Domonic- a young women at Lidl's, she gave some encouraging news which i reported later, it came to the test yesterday when i called in for an odd item, took a basket and while searching for the suger i began to pick up more items, cerials and jam and a browse along the non food racks, i ended up with  heavy basket load then found the queue for the self serve checkouts were a mile long, i backed out and went into the next isle and that was half full of shoppers with trolley loads, so i decided to dump the basket but found the exit was blocked off, my intention was to go back later and find my basket when the queues were shorter and pay then and as i stood deciding what to do and if i should escape when the entrance door opened, as staff member turned up and told us till No 6 was being opened so a stampede began, i came 3rd but even so my basket was a small amount to those with full loads, the diy'ers had no chance and i know how they felt and those who were left in the other checkout who had been waiting even longer as those behind them moved across, it was such a crush they were trapped,  it was chaos, it was awful really as every till should have been open and that never been witnessed, new manager or not this store is bobbins.

#37 18.Nov.18 09:51:16

Barleycorn

Isn't the chaos of a 'stampede' really the fault of those doing the stampeding?

I hate the way people expect to check out a full basket in about 20 seconds.

A line of bored cashiers at under-used tills was a common site in the early supermarkets...     and prices reflected this.

Your 59p cauliflower is priced thus in part because they don't pay 10 till workers to sit there for 8 hours.

I like Lidl and Aldi, and in truth have never, ever queued more than a few minutes. 

We just aren't used to having a couple of trolleys in front of us anymore.

#38 18.Nov.18 11:37:54

crackerbarrel

To be honest I much prefer Lidl - the only time I shop in the Co-op is if I haven't got the car & Lidl don't sell the item I want, which is rare. I only use the self- service tills because the queues at the serviced ones are usually so much longer. Even if there's a long queue at the self service I've never waited more than a few minutes as they move really quickly. Things may change as I get older, but for now Lidl suits me just fine - I'm not much of a bargain shopper, but I love wandering the aisles at Lidl cause you never know what's going to be there- it's like Aladdin's cave.  smile

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#39 18.Nov.18 12:31:22

ridge walker

Barley is correct, we now have shoppers  using trollies and doing weekly shops, you rarely see this in the co-op or in its old location, its just been revealed local shops  of the big supermarkets are 5-9% dearer than the big stores, thats the price of being local as there more expensive to run, the point about tills being left unmanned and the new systems that have been introduced at Asda where they have both self serve conveyer belts and the self serve check outs, there unsuitable for weekly shops, so the question for me is 'how long has the queue to be before they find a check out person to man the till, i think the co-op once offered a discount if the Q had more than 4 in it, so they know how inconvenient it is.

#40 18.Nov.18 12:41:19

Erin

The best supermarket for checkouts is Tesco at Featherstall Rd., it's very rare to have to wait for an available checkout and if they are very busy they are calling for more cashiers over the tannoy.  It's also a busy supermarket so there are always plenty of customers in the store.

Board footer